Page 19 of 165 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast
    Liked 3,791 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Andruet View Post
    That's quite an unequal bunch of drivers you're comparing there. Like most sports, also rallying is "game of levels" as they say. IMO all the current factory drivers are of the most supreme class. Sure, then there's Neuville, Tänak and Ogier who all are just that tiny bit above everyone else - which makes them the top 3 in the championship - but I'd find it a bit odd to call that different level altogether (referreing to your view on Latvala and Mikkelsen). Lappi, as a WRC rally winner, has nothing to do with either Rovanperä or Huttunen, who haven't even competed at the level Lappi's been for the past two seasons.

I'd also say that Matt Wilson is a poor example in that context, as he never showed speed at any level where it would truly have mattered, unlike Rovanperä for example, who we can already judge vs. proven drivers like Tidemand (hence vs. Lappi and others too). That ofcourse isn't serving as any guarantee that Rovanperä will ever win a WRC event, but we can already be sure he's got the tools to make it to the very top.
    The thing all those drivers have in common is that they were all declared "future champions". It's the last bit (going from multiple rally winner to a champion) which is hardest imo, logarithmic progression. Neuville and Tanak have not made the step yet either, since they obviously are not champions. Nowhere did I wrote that Latvala and Mikkelsen are level below them overall.

Lappi still has to make the step from single rally winner (like for example Sordo, Østberg and Evans) to multiple rally winner. Interestingly this season he has not led for a single stage. I am not saying he is doing bad (look at Ogier's first full WRC seasons), just that he is not going to be a champion just yet

2. Likes: sonnybobiche (18th September 2018)
    Liked 386 Times in 167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulland View Post
    Sad, but maybe another brand will want to give it a go. Even a season in Wrc2 to gain experience.
    Hankook, Conti, Kuhmo, Maxxis, Zestino, Yokohama, MRF or maybe Dunlop?

It is a steep learning curve, but development departmemt will also learn a lot that can be transferred to road tyres!!
    I think from these MRF are considering joining for 2019 and Kumho, Hankook and Yokohama already have quit good tires in their portfolio, also Maxxis and Zestino has tires in their portfolio but don`t know anything about their quality. Dunlop to my knowledge does not produce gravel tires anymore

Liked 359 Times in 191 Posts

5. Likes: AnttiL (18th September 2018)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Of course it's just a David Evans article. 12 months ago he wrote that Tänak is set to remain at M-Sport. But this year, I believe Ogier goes to Citroen.

However, it will be interesting to see if Red Bull would follow Ogier to Citroen and would Abu Dhabi then be off Citroen, maybe back to M-Sport?
    Last edited by AnttiL; 18th September 2018 at 10:38.

7. Likes: Allez Andruet (18th September 2018),sonnybobiche (18th September 2018),tomhlord (18th September 2018)
    Liked 1,462 Times in 835 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Of course it's just a David Evans article. 12 months ago he wrote that Tänak is set to remain at M-Sport. But this year, I believe Ogier goes to Citroen.

However, it will be interesting to see if Red Bull would follow Ogier to Citroen and would Abu Dhabi then be off Citroen, maybe back to M-Sport?
    Maybe, I don't remember if it was here on the forum that someone said Ogier's deal would be revealed this weekend.
    Anyhow, should be interesting to watch, a couple of interesting months ahead of us.
    Only you know your true potential.
    This year we rally #ForCraig

Liked 9,345 Times in 4,963 Posts
    After Ford coming back to support M-Sport which is what Ogier wanted he looks like jumping ship to Citroen. Disappointing.

Liked 1,462 Times in 835 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    After Ford coming back to support M-Sport which is what Ogier wanted he looks like jumping ship to Citroen. Disappointing.
    Does that mean Ford will reduce their support once more?
    Only you know your true potential.
    This year we rally #ForCraig

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Define support. Ogier probably wanted technical and £$£$£$£ - that obviously hasn't happened. So he's off....(if the rumours are true.)

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

12. Likes: pantealex (18th September 2018)
    Liked 489 Times in 244 Posts

Yes, but Ogier is thinking that it´s not enough and of course Ford could put more resources.

We will see what will happen. If Ogier is going to Citroën surely Red Bull will follow him. Then Abu Dhabi could be back with M-Sport, but I doubt that Ford is interested at all, because they would lost their leading driver and only Seb, Thierry and Ott are able to fight for the WRC title in 2019...

Liked 2,275 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Lol, Ford's "support" this year says everything Ogier needs to know about their commitment.

They have one of the best drivers of all time and they've been pissing about with botched up aero jobs, massively delaying engine upgrades and can't even return as a full manufacturer. No wonder Seb is disappointed and is seemingly going to risk it at Citroen instead.

15. Likes: AndyRAC (18th September 2018),AnttiL (18th September 2018),EstWRC (18th September 2018),juhoman (23rd September 2018),sonnybobiche (18th September 2018),the sniper (18th September 2018),TWRC (19th September 2018),WRC1 (18th September 2018)