Page 68 of 165 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078118 ... LastLast
    Liked 839 Times in 406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomhlord View Post
    Speed, exposure, excitement and WRC-level experience.
    To finish first, first you have to finish.

2. Likes: pantealex (6th October 2018)
    Liked 782 Times in 309 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve.mandzij View Post
    To finish first, first you have to finish.
    But to get screen-time for the advertisers you don't! I think it was Juha Kankkunen who once said "if you're going to crash make it a big one, in front of the cameras".

4. Likes: BobJones (8th October 2018),steve.mandzij (5th October 2018)
    Liked 62 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MentalParadox View Post
    Strange timing for quitting WRC, this is literally the best season in over 14 years!
    The forum is run by volunteers and totally unsponsored...neither the teams nor Rally GB pay to run it, so we need time to regroup and try to encourage teams to get back involved with it.

Visionary
    Liked 167 Times in 69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Andruet View Post
    He doesn't sound too confident about his WRC future, does he?
    Quite the contrary. He sounds very confident ... probably with strong justification.
    Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to a paramedic.

Liked 1,835 Times in 710 Posts
    This turned out to be a quite nice silly season, I've been following it and this thread with interest, to me it's part of the show.

Ogier's move was probably most expected, Ford wasn't delivering and while he doesn't say it I think Loeb's records were always his target. Don't think he can beat them but what he can still do is be champion with 3 different teams so I think that motivates him. Also looks like Citroen will back him strongly enough. Another thing that was rumored and confirmed (in Ogier's interview) is that the management change at Citroen helped make the move possible. Speaking of Citroen it looks like they really want to shake things up and are trying to change the whole driver line-up. It's a shame for Breen, he has been pretty solid but looks like he reached his peak. At the moment it makes sense to go for Lappi and maybe mix it up in the 3rd car: Al Qassimi for budget, Ostberg as a points back-up and maybe a bit of cash and Loeb for the marketing value and points. So Citroen looking strong for next year if they bring a bit more speed to the car.

On the flipside it's looking like MSport will go into "safe mode" as they have done in the past, using young drivers or budget bringing drivers (paying or through sponsors). I think this is very likely and makes sense to me after their recent success to regroup until they find a strong backer. Maybe some other manufacturer could come in.

I think Hyundai will stay the same but everyone who isn't Neuville in that team could be replaceable after next year. At Toyota it's clear Tanak is the de facto leader, he seems to be in his prime, fast and experienced enough to fight for titles. It'll be interesting if Latvala can accept he's the 4th or 5th fastest driver in the championship now and drive for podiums or push like crazy and crash. The question is if Lappi goes who do you bring in? Suninen is confirmed at MSport he would have been the obvious choice for me. Meeke for the speed maybe. If it was up to me I'd get Tidemand if he's available and see how he rises to the challenge.

All this while a three way title fight is going on, the last two years of WRC have been brilliant!

Liked 1,544 Times in 663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brynmor Pierce View Post
    The forum is run by volunteers and totally unsponsored...neither the teams nor Rally GB pay to run it, so we need time to regroup and try to encourage teams to get back involved with it.
    Can you share more about this... What does this mean, will the forum will be shut down or what is the future perspective?

Liked 3,791 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Desborough saying on PS that Paddon "may have a deal" with another team for next year.

So who might that be:
    - at Citroen we have Lappi rumors and likely no interest in Asia market (they don't even sell cars in most of the countries), so no
    - Msport... well while Ford certainly has interest there I doubt they are in position to "pay" much to anyone, so would have to be local-sponsored deal from AU/NZ
    - Toyota, big marketing interests in Asia and probly place after Lappi => to me most likely candidate

Liked 12,206 Times in 5,240 Posts
    in my honest opinion, Paddon MUST move to another team if he doesnt get a full year with Hyundai. His progress is just standing still and stagnated with these half ass seasons.
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

11. Likes: racerx1979 (7th October 2018)
    Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Desborough saying on PS that Paddon "may have a deal" with another team for next year.

So who might that be:
    - at Citroen we have Lappi rumors and likely no interest in Asia market (they don't even sell cars in most of the countries), so no
    - Msport... well while Ford certainly has interest there I doubt they are in position to "pay" much to anyone, so would have to be local-sponsored deal from AU/NZ
    - Toyota, big marketing interests in Asia and probly place after Lappi => to me most likely candidate
    Citroen is very big in China and that is not small market...
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

Liked 2,241 Times in 1,199 Posts
    Presuming the Lappi to Citroen thing is true, it does indeed look like Even management are hooking up with them - Veiby's C3 R5 and his overalls are in works colours in Wales too.