Page 81 of 165 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131 ... LastLast
    Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
    Where does it say that he is a title contender? I'm not native English speaker, so I might have got it wrong.
    "Kris Meeke's return to the World Rally Championship in 2019 with Toyota could well be his best chance at winning a title." - it is hard to argue with this statement. Toyota is mighty fast with Ott, JML is doing fine as well.

"But is a refreshed Meeke a true rival for the likes of Sebastien Ogier, Thierry Neuville and Ott Tanak next year?" - or this one that raged you? Yeah, it is a bit of a stretch, but this type of questions that catch attention in the 21th century.

Instead of all this negativity, why not just be happy that Meeke has a final shot in WRC. On a side note, I also very much hate David Evans's hyperboles. But the video has some great points and seems to be quite balanced, enjoyed it.

Liked 2,275 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Well C3 is getting podiums this year with Østberg and Breen and fighting in top 3 with Loeb, in GB it was fighting for 3rd all the way to sunday, can't exactly be rubbish.

Might have as much to do with Ogier being perfectionist.
    And Meeke....

Loeb was similar to Meeke, almost pushing too hard in Mexico and Corsica, and went off the road resulting in a puncture and a retirement respectively.

The car has improved a lot and Ogier wouldn't have moved if he didn't think it had the potential to help him challenge for another title. He'll probably talk the car down to try & downplay expectations and to keep Citroen pushing hard with the upgrades (like he did with the Fiesta), but if there were still big problems he wouldn't have signed for them. It's only taken 2 and half years but the c3 seems to be solid on all surfaces now and in most conditions.

Liked 12,152 Times in 5,211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by [RMC]Pip View Post
    Where does it say that he is a title contender? I'm not native English speaker, so I might have got it wrong.
    "Kris Meeke's return to the World Rally Championship in 2019 with Toyota could well be his best chance at winning a title." - it is hard to argue with this statement. Toyota is mighty fast with Ott, JML is doing fine as well.
    how is it really hard to argue? He hasnt even touched the car, we dont know how the car will suit him, he hasnt driven a rally car for over a 5 months now, hell we havent even heard the official announcement.

And already some journos are talking his WDC chances.

And i have nothing against Meeke, i have said here thousand times that it was so wrong what Citroen did to him.
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

4. Likes: AnttiL (11th October 2018),cali (11th October 2018),pantealex (11th October 2018)
    Liked 16,087 Times in 6,980 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EstWRC View Post
    how is it really hard to argue? He hasnt even touched the car, we dont know how the car will suit him, he hasnt driven a rally car for over a 5 months now, hell we havent even heard the official announcement.

And i have nothing against Meeke, i have said here thousand times that it was so wrong what Citroen did to him.
    Meekes 1st test with Toyota
    https://twitter.com/RallyingUK/statu...18290823241728

Liked 12,152 Times in 5,211 Posts
    that must have been quite early in the development or is he testing the 2021 car already?
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noel157 View Post
    Perhaps if you understood how any technical improvements suggested by Meeke (and Breen) were generally ignored or they were told there was no budget for what was being suggested you would understand. Up to you.
    Can you guarantee that he really asked for specific improvements and the team refused them? Probably you base that acceptation on a few comments from ‘unidentified sources’ that the Brit press eagerly spread. The same press that forgot to mention that Alexis Avril, the C3 WRC chief of project, is a good friend of Meeke (since the C2 Junior days) and always supported him. The same press that failed to mention that Poland ‘suspension’ was settled by the team with Meeke agreement, as he felt a break was needed. The same press that only question Meeke driving approach after he was fired, ignoring his error prone attitude through the years.

Meeke is a top WRC driver, certainly one of the bravest and fastest around, but to ignore his limitations and blame the others for his faults won’t help him to improve, as it didn’t help so far. Hopefully, he’ll manage to get a more sensible approach while avoiding raise expectations too high; that’s probably the best way to enjoy next year(s) and provide Toyota and the fans a fantastic show. Fingers crossed!
    Rally addict since 1982

8. Likes: AnttiL (11th October 2018),EstWRC (11th October 2018),OnlyRally (12th October 2018),TWRC (12th October 2018)
    Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

When Meeke raced for Citroen (full season), only he was able to get rally wins with the car. Of course, he was far from title contender in these seasons.
    Now, he will drive (probably) in a proven race winning car, so yeah, this COULD be his best chance for a title. Even if it is unkown at the moment whether the car suits him or not. Hell, it would be my best chance as well for the title if got the drive.

Jurnos like to exagarate everything like this, that drives clicks and shares. I bet you wouldn't have shared the article if it had had nothing controversial / bombastic / eye-opening statement in it. And I have to repeat, the video is of high quality, balanced reporting.

Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Well a year ago some british jurnalists were saying Evans would fight for the title this year no matter what car he drives.

11. Likes: pantealex (12th October 2018)
    Liked 2,275 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post
    Can you guarantee that he really asked for specific improvements and the team refused them? Probably you base that acceptation on a few comments from ‘unidentified sources’ that the Brit press eagerly spread. The same press that forgot to mention that Alexis Avril, the C3 WRC chief of project, is a good friend of Meeke (since the C2 Junior days) and always supported him. The same press that failed to mention that Poland ‘suspension’ was settled by the team with Meeke agreement, as he felt a break was needed. The same press that only question Meeke driving approach after he was fired, ignoring his error prone attitude through the years.

Meeke is a top WRC driver, certainly one of the bravest and fastest around, but to ignore his limitations and blame the others for his faults won’t help him to improve, as it didn’t help so far. Hopefully, he’ll manage to get a more sensible approach while avoiding raise expectations too high; that’s probably the best way to enjoy next year(s) and provide Toyota and the fans a fantastic show. Fingers crossed!
    You are correct in what you say but you're too far to Citroen's side. Matton was the problem, he was in charge and got so many things wrong that we'd be hear all day talking about them. Meeke made mistakes and so did the engineers and design team. Simple.

Meeke was pushing for changes that Mikkelsen and Loeb backed up. They all said the same thing, but Matton's management was poor and he sat on his hands till it was crisis management.

The new technical director who came in even said Citroen's own engineers and development team had taken risks which backfired and that due to the previous successes, were perhaps too stubborn and stuck in their ways to make the changes earlier that the drivers wanted. Direct quotes.

Liked 252 Times in 158 Posts
    If management is better now at Citroen, why they still thinking to race with only two cars and still not trust Breen... It will never change their thinking no matter who is pull the strings.

14. Likes: BobJones (12th October 2018)