Page 18 of 165 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast
    Liked 1,367 Times in 710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomhlord View Post
    DMACK ran out of marketing money, sadly.
    Sad, but maybe another brand will want to give it a go. Even a season in Wrc2 to gain experience.
    Hankook, Conti, Kuhmo, Maxxis, Zestino, Yokohama, MRF or maybe Dunlop?

It is a steep learning curve, but development departmemt will also learn a lot that can be transferred to road tyres!!

Liked 2,241 Times in 1,199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Rovanperä they won’t get. Yet. He’s contracted to Skoda for 2019.
    I have little doubt he can be a future champion but some seem too keen to rush him, he’s still a boy and hasn’t won a WRC2 event yet.

Patience.

3. Likes: TWRC (18th September 2018)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RS View Post
    I have little doubt he can be a future champion but some seem too keen to rush him, he’s still a boy and hasn’t won a WRC2 event yet.

Patience.
    Exactly. And he hasn't competed in many of the WRC events yet. A couple of years in WRC2 would be good. He would still be younger than any else WRC factory driver.

5. Likes: RS (18th September 2018)
    Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    The thing with young drivers from my view.

Money/sponsors and some talent takes you to the level where Rovanpera is atm quite fast (off course provided there is some talent in the first place). Getting from this level (~national rally champion) to the next level (can get top 3 in wrc) is harder, getting to win WRC rallies is even harder than that and championship is another level entirely.

Take for example Matt Wilson - never got past the first level, even though he looked almost as promising as Rovanpera early on. Likewise you could take Latvala and Mikkelsen who also had similar starts and now are "stuck" on the next best level for 2-4 years.

Which is why I react to people calling "young" drivers future champions. (Lappi, Rovanpera, Huttunen etc.)

7. Likes: sonnybobiche (18th September 2018)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post

Take for example Matt Wilson - never got past the first level, even though he looked almost as promising as Rovanpera early on. Likewise you could take Latvala and Mikkelsen who also had similar starts and now are "stuck" on the next best level for 2-4 years.
    I wasn't following rallying actively when Wilson was driving, but looking at his results, it seems he only drove British events before stepping up into full WRC Seasons, without any knowledge of the events or road types of different countries. His best result ever was fourth on his second full season. But maybe British media hyped him similarly as Rovanperä now?

Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Yes, and as you can see you have people suggesting on this forum how Rovanpera should drive WRC in 2019.

10. Likes: pantealex (18th September 2018),sonnybobiche (18th September 2018)
    Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sonnybobiche View Post
    The rumor is that Citroen offered him between 3-4x his current salary, which based on previous rumors would mean $30-40 million per year. That's Hamilton/Vettel money. Suddenly, all that stuff that happened in 2011 seems so petty!
    What were they smoking on the show? 30-40M for the full extent of a 3 or 4 years contract (10M year) can make sense, but per year it's nuts, to Citroen or any other manu.
    Rally addict since 1982

12. Likes: AnttiL (18th September 2018),RS (18th September 2018),sonnybobiche (18th September 2018)
    Liked 101 Times in 36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.T View Post
    neuville and tanak are faster drivers than him... and they are gainning experience as well as years pass (compare neuville last year and this year) the days of mrs kaisers pet at the top of the sport are nearly over... he is no Loeb, never was.
    Once again your comments are so fickle. A driver has a few average rallies and they are has-beens in your eyes. I remember your comments that Loeb and Ogier were the only two real drivers, the rest being second-rate.
    Do I remember you saying a season or two ago that Neuville was done, not fast enough and never will be. Do I remember you saying Tommi's Toyota team was a bunch of village idiots that won't achieve anything.
    You are so quick to jump to conclusions you can't be taken seriously.
    20000 comments in 18 years...that's a lot of diatribe. Could you go to the badminton or skipping rope forums. They make like you.
    Last edited by Maui J.; 18th September 2018 at 03:52.

14. Likes: mknight (18th September 2018),peter_85 (18th September 2018),skarderud (18th September 2018),steve.mandzij (18th September 2018),WRC1 (18th September 2018)
    Liked 1,995 Times in 793 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    The thing with young drivers from my view.

Money/sponsors and some talent takes you to the level where Rovanpera is atm quite fast (off course provided there is some talent in the first place). Getting from this level (~national rally champion) to the next level (can get top 3 in wrc) is harder, getting to win WRC rallies is even harder than that and championship is another level entirely.

Which is why I react to people calling "young" drivers future champions. (Lappi, Rovanpera, Huttunen etc.)
    That's quite an unequal bunch of drivers you're comparing there. Like most sports, also rallying is "game of levels" as they say. IMO all the current factory drivers are of the most supreme class. Sure, then there's Neuville, Tänak and Ogier who all are just that tiny bit above everyone else - which makes them the top 3 in the championship - but I'd find it a bit odd to call that different level altogether (referreing to your view on Latvala and Mikkelsen). Lappi, as a WRC rally winner, has nothing to do with either Rovanperä or Huttunen, who haven't even competed at the level Lappi's been for the past two seasons.

I'd also say that Matt Wilson is a poor example in that context, as he never showed speed at any level where it would truly have mattered, unlike Rovanperä for example, who we can already judge vs. proven drivers like Tidemand (hence vs. Lappi and others too). That ofcourse isn't serving as any guarantee that Rovanperä will ever win a WRC event, but we can already be sure he's got the tools to make it to the very top.
    ku ois neljä pyörää ku vetäis ni ois vähän eri sekunnit kyllä pätkillä, sen mä takaan

16. Likes: AnttiL (18th September 2018),er88 (18th September 2018),Essaj (18th September 2018),pantealex (18th September 2018),Rallyper (18th September 2018)
    Liked 642 Times in 344 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maui J. View Post
    You are so quick to jump to conclusions you can't be taken seriously.
    20000 comments in 18 years...that's a lot of diatribe. Could you go to the badminton or skipping rope forums. They make like you.
    You might not know but there is handy little setting that will magically turn all of N.O.T's messages to this:

This message is hidden because N.O.T is on your ignore list.

I heartily recommend it, saves one a lot in the headache medication costs.

18. Likes: hsmed (18th September 2018),Maui J. (18th September 2018),peter_85 (18th September 2018),skarderud (18th September 2018),steve.mandzij (18th September 2018)