Page 151 of 165 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 1644
    Liked 784 Times in 390 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
    What a load of gibberish and a complete over-reaction.
    Sensitive chap here.... Sorry but Loeb to WRC2 is a joke..

2. Likes: Rally Power (7th December 2018)
    Liked 1,472 Times in 572 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rallyfiend View Post
    Driver contracts have never, ever, stopped a car company pulling out of motorsport. It's peanuts compared to the bigger picture. Once a company takes a strategic decision, minor things like driver contracts are just a small line item in a spreadsheet.

Subaru, VW, Suzuki, Mitsubishi etc etc all had to pay out drivers in WRC.

Same in F1 etc etc.
    Agree, but stating that they already "planned" their exit is just BS

Liked 388 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    So you think that rallying should only increase the sales of sporty cars? I thought it's more about making the models and brands positive in our minds, whether it's just a basic car or a homologation special. When I see a new Fiesta or C3 on the street I think about rallying, and that puts me in a nice place, and this must be what they want us to feel.
    I agree with Doon. You are a rally nut, so a fiesta or c3 to you is relevant to the sport.
    If you were to ask the next 100 people you meet what cars compete in the wrc, I would imagine not even 10% of them would know. To most people a fiesta or c3 is a car to pop down the shop in, an no more than that.

5. Likes: AndyRAC (7th December 2018)
    Liked 5,531 Times in 2,289 Posts
    I bought a Fiesta MK8 ST-Line cause WRC one got me in love.

7. Likes: pantealex (7th December 2018),tommeke_B (7th December 2018)
    Liked 182 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    So you think that rallying should only increase the sales of sporty cars? I thought it's more about making the models and brands positive in our minds, whether it's just a basic car or a homologation special. When I see a new Fiesta or C3 on the street I think about rallying, and that puts me in a nice place, and this must be what they want us to feel.
    Anyway I am pretty sure the Yaris sales are soaring in Estonia and probably in Finland as well thanks to WRC.
    For normal countries probably not that big of a difference, yes.

Liked 9,312 Times in 4,938 Posts
    Citroen involvement is and has often been a puzzle in WRC. They havent sold a real hot-hatch for years and now their car philosophy is 'Comfort is Cool'.

Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    For sure, No, because a road Yaris is a small grocery-getter for women and elderly people, with nothing to boast with- not with appearance, not with dynamics. Toyota in general sells good, because they have a reputation of being cheap to buy and even cheaper to maintain. And brand reputation from motorsport also helps, but not with Yaris sales...remarkably. And when you take away all the taxes, dealership fees etc, then one sold Yaris probably doesn`t cover the used tires for one car per event...
    Last edited by Tarmop; 7th December 2018 at 15:10.

Liked 3,476 Times in 1,016 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre Oliveira View Post
    I bought a Fiesta MK8 ST-Line cause WRC one got me in love.
    Great car, fun to drive. I had the previous generation (red edition), but 5-speed gearbox was using lots of fuel on highways. It should be better with the 6-speed gearbox. Swapped it for an ST (not the new generation) at the beginning of the year.

Back on topic, I believe that the sales of cars are influenced by rallying, yes... I'm starting to see Hyundai I30 N-versions quite a lot, more than similar sportier versions of other manufacturers. Also when Subaru stopped rallying, people stopped buying Subaru Impreza's, even while they were still made for a few years, and another generation came after it.

Liked 388 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommeke_B View Post
    Great car, fun to drive. I had the previous generation (red edition), but 5-speed gearbox was using lots of fuel on highways. It should be better with the 6-speed gearbox. Swapped it for an ST (not the new generation) at the beginning of the year.

Back on topic, I believe that the sales of cars are influenced by rallying, yes... I'm starting to see Hyundai I30 N-versions quite a lot, more than similar sportier versions of other manufacturers. Also when Subaru stopped rallying, people stopped buying Subaru Impreza's, even while they were still made for a few years, and another generation came after it.
    It would be interesting to see a wide ranging questionnaire on why people have bought a fiesta st, Yaris GRMN, Hyundai i30n or a c3. I doubt rallying would be the biggest reason, in fact quite small I would imagine. Maybe more with a special edition like the Yaris, but less so with a c3.

Subaru's stopped selling so well because the 2.5 engine in post 2006 models have inherent design flaws, not reliable and compared to more modern competition bad fuel economy, high rates of car tax (in UK at least).
    I have 2003 model, have done for 11years, many people on Subaru forums have not bought newer ones for reasons I've mentioned above.

Liked 172 Times in 75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm75 View Post
    It would be interesting to see a wide ranging questionnaire on why people have bought a fiesta st, Yaris GRMN, Hyundai i30n or a c3. I doubt rallying would be the biggest reason, in fact quite small I would imagine. Maybe more with a special edition like the Yaris, but less so with a c3.
    I would like to see this data too. For many years I believe TV shows like Top Gear, and Youtube videos made by the likes of Chris Harris, EVO magazine etc, are the ones helping influencing the purchase of hot-hatchbacks, not rallying. Standard run of the mill hatchback purchases are, in the vast majority, definitely not influenced by rallying.

14. Likes: AndyRAC (7th December 2018)