Page 77 of 162 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127 ... LastLast
    Liked 9,576 Times in 4,344 Posts
    nice news,kudos to Makkinen,definetely Meeke its a plus to wrc series.

2. Likes: BobJones (10th October 2018)
    Liked 4,757 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWorm View Post
    Was teammate to Sordo in 2011, Sordo grabbed a couple podiums on tarmac (nearly won in Alsace). Meeke did okay in the rallies he finished (4th in Wales was his best), but other times he was off the road.
    So he is facing the strongest teammates he has ever had.

I imagine him being quite frustrated if he SHOULD be the slowest of them quite often.
    "Some famous quote from some famous person"

Liked 425 Times in 233 Posts
    To be honest, I'm quite surprised and a little sad to see the Finn leaving the Finnish team, but as mentioned before there must have been some ugly behind the scenes reasoning for Lappi leaving.

Makinen might be a little blinded by his own excitement by taking Meeke but it's exciting to see him come back, if only for a year. I don't think he'll challenge for the championship, but it'll be exciting come Finland, when the team is composed solely of Finland winners!

If Meeke falls into the Tanak role of winning almost every rally, it might even be good for Latvala's title hopes to lay back and collect the points for the team.

Liked 810 Times in 386 Posts
    So;

Toyota; Tanak, JML, Meeke

Hyundai; Neuville, Mikkelsen, Sordo, Paddon?

Citroen; Ogier, Lappi, Ostberg? (If he brings big funds)

Msport; Suninen, Breen?, Paddon?, Evans?, Ostberg?

Drivers without question mark beside them are nailed on or pretty much confirmed. Msport have a lot of potential options but no real winner now Meeke has gone to Toyota. Talk of Breen and Paddon having options to go there would leave Evans in trouble. Still a lot of moves to be done in this silly season

Liked 75 Times in 45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the sniper View Post
    Surely Red Bull are gone. If I were Malcolm I think I'd have tried to roll out some excellent hospitality for Spain and in connection with Block being there, tried to entice the likes of Monster Energy, Sonax or even Ford Performance (USA) to attend and get onboard with the WRC... They'd be a perfect partner for a 'youth' team of Sunninen, Breen, Evans/Tiedemans and occasional Block! Easier said than done though I suppose.
    To hell with Ford and specifically Ford US. Other than the Mustang they will not be selling cars in the US and Canada and are gutting their staff in Michigan. If any money comes from there it's because someone in the Ford family is drunk and/or delusional, not with the personal enthusiasm that's driving Toyota. But if money comes take it, by all means. Malcolm has a lot of work ahead to stay in top rank of the WRC. Block turns 51 this year so don't expect much more than name recognition and some Monster money. Again, the money's not a bad thing, though.
    Last edited by Gregor-y; 10th October 2018 at 16:50. Reason: Block, not bock.

Liked 99 Times in 61 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EstWRC View Post
    who have been Meekes teammates so far? Sordo, Ostberg and Breen come to my mind.

Hoe did he do against Sordo on Mini days?
    Try Loeb. Not suggesting Kris is by any means the driver that seb was, but outright speed he didn't fair too badly against Loeb's stage times.

Liked 1,177 Times in 642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by er88 View Post
    That fact then, plus extra money on offer at Citroen is probably what has made Lappi jump ship then.

Would it be fair to say Tanak has scared Lappi away?

Or is there just more behind the scenes issues that have resulted in Lappi moving on?

It really doesn't seem like Makinen is too bothered either. They could afford to keep Lappi if they desperately wanted to, but both Makinen and Lappi seem to want to look elsewhere. Makinen sounded like he wanted Meeke as soon as he was dumped by Citroen.
    Well both Latvala and Lappi have made comments already around march that changes proposed by Tanak moved the car away from them. So there might be some truth in that.

Then again Lappi made comments about "seeing no reason to leave". Which now almost makes it looks like he got kicked by Makinen to get place for Meeke.

If Makinen is mostly focused on maximum manu chances+PR in next 1-2 years, then picking Meeke might be better option than Lappi. Obviously Lappi is now the most promising "new" driver. But might be that Makinen doesn't believe in him and wants to wait for others (Suninen, Rovanpera or the Japanese).

9. Likes: er88 (10th October 2018)
    M-Sport WRC Champions Fast Eddie WRC's Avatar
    Liked 4,700 Times in 2,500 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by er88 View Post
    If the BBC are reporting it then it's done.
    BBC are just repeating the 'reports' of Meeke to Citroen, not confirming it.

11. Likes: pantealex (10th October 2018)
    M-Sport WRC Champions Fast Eddie WRC's Avatar
    Liked 4,700 Times in 2,500 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Andruet View Post
    The latter seems to be pretty big IF at the moment. I don't know what the financial input from Ford has been during the past few years when they haven't been in WRC as an official works team, but probably they've covered some of the expenses anyway. If that is about to change, and I don't want to sound disrespectful by any means, but I'm not sure if any wage from any Ford dealership or any money from Breen family is enough to compensate that. If Ford is out, together with RB as a title sponsor, I'd guess we're talking about money around the magnitude of 10M€+ which might be too much to overcome for these fellas. That would probably require some of that Abu Dhabi money...
    As I understand it, Ford Performance are still to carry on supporting M-Sport with the car. Just maybe not as much as Ogier wanted.

They have never been paying driver wages so that isnt any different.

Evans is a Red Bull athlete, so is Suninen. They are sponsored independently from the M-Sport team deal.

I agree a new headline sponsor will probably be important to continue, but they have competed without one before..

13. Likes: sonnybobiche (11th October 2018)
    Liked 153 Times in 57 Posts
    Mby Lappi is just not good enough? With Rovanpera coming, Tommi just don't care about him. He has the best driver/car builder at the moment. And prob best second driver that is accepting his role. Neuville or Ogier as second driver is obvious no go. So prob he sees some commercial value in Meeke to offer him a drive for a year until Rovanperä arrives.