Page 6 of 165 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast
    Liked 148 Times in 42 Posts
    I've felt for a while now that Tommi is fed up with Latvala's mental capabilities and I just read the latest Motorsport Monday issue, where he said following:

"Asked for his thoughts on a line-up for 2019, Mäkinen said:
    The Japanese are here, we will talk for the future. We make the decision together, they have their opinion. Personally, I would like to do something on the driver market, but let's see. The Japanese would like very much for Jari-Matti to continue - he has a good image in Japan. On a good day, Jari-Matti can win, but he needs to concentrate to his own work and forget others. That's the way for him to continue. I know Esapekka is still a young driver and for sure he will improve. He has some experience, but I don't know what we should do to wake him up on Friday. OK, here there was some trouble at the start of the rally, but there's no question about his speed."
    Full article

That only seems like a confirmation to me, that he'd kick Latvala out, if he could, but the Japanese won't let him.
    If Japanese are really that keen to keep Latvala, no matter his results, it raises a question how interested they are in the titles? On some thread, someone told me that after their unsuccessful en-devours in f1 and struggle in WEC(?), they'd do anything to come out on top, including hiring Ogier to the team but that would be in direct conflict with keeping Latvala and his representative image.

In another note, I think what Tommi "would like to do in the driver market" is exactly kicking out Latvala and bringing in Ogier. Mostly because I haven't heard nor seen him discuss with any other driver and because looking at the results, there have not been any outstanding performances from others (for more than 1 event).

Liked 2,264 Times in 944 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    I know that Paddon would prefer to stay loyal to Hyundai if he has the option (and he helps their image in the NZ market a lot, dominating NZRC rallies in the Hyundai NZ AP4 car too) but if they only offer a half season and another team offer a full season I suspect he would take it to avoid his career stagnating.
    I'm not a fan of half seasons, unless they are given to rookies.
    If I were Hyundai I would take a definitive decision between:
    1) Giving Paddon another chance with a full season
    2) Giving full season to Sordo to get solid points
    3) Giving a full season car to a young gun or two half season to two young guns.

Liked 183 Times in 122 Posts
    What are the chances of 'Tommi gets what Tommi wants'? i.e Ogier to Toyota - new toyota car coming that ogier realises could be tough to win against with fiesta.
    Latvala with a few contacts at VW Group - goes to Skoda gets R5 WRC2 drive on selected rounds and does the testing/ development of skoda wrc. Becomes the old hand when skoda wrc team starts competition. One of the reasons Latvala could stay at Toyota is to prevent other teams getting the yaris set up etc know how. i.e Latvala kept at toyota to develop toyota r5 and makinen brings in lowest cost fastest young finn with the strongest sisu he can find.

Joukhi pays for the empty seat at M-Sport for the next annointed flying finn back on d-mack's.

Liked 2,275 Times in 1,069 Posts
    I reckon we could get a surprise at Toyota. I know Meeke has spoken to Tommi a few times since he was "sacked", but then again he's also spoken to Hyundai about possibilities for next year. And with him being a driver without a drive that's understandable that he'd have talks with teams.

I think by the sounds of that article Tommi will want to replace Jari. But if he can't it sounds like he wouldn't be against losing Esapekka either, if he can bring in the driver he wants.

So who is that driver? I can't see it being Meeke because why would you let go of Esapekka for Meeke when one has their whole career ahead of him. So it must be Ogier that Tommi wants, but maybe the Japanese aren't keen on Seb and his apparent arrogance (although what WC doesn't come with that?).

Ogier going to Toyota wouldn't unsettle Ott either. I think he feels after last season he can beat Seb in the same machinery, and Seb would also be a year behind Tanak in knowing the Yaris and being comfortable in it.

Would make sense for Toyota to have a stunning line-up of Ogier, Tanak and Lappi (or Jari). But it'd be bad for the championship. Two of the best 3 drivers in the same team, with the best younger driver as well. As I see Lappi having more chance of becoming a world champion than Mikkelsen, Evans, Paddon, Breen and Suninen etc. It'd be a hell of team that would leave Citroen and Ford fucked in terms of a championship battle

5. Likes: tomhlord (29th August 2018)
    Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by er88 View Post
    So it must be Ogier that Tommi wants, but maybe the Japanese aren't keen on Seb (...)
    Or maybe it’s the other way around: Tommi isn’t keen on Ogier but Mr. Toyoda wants him in the team. Sometimes we tend to forget that manus main aim is to become WMC and they need to get a stronger driver line up than competition in order to do it.

In 2014 VW didn’t care about Latvala personal chances to become WDC; they took him to guarantee no other manu would have a chance against them. Most likely, that’s the reason why Toyota may sign Ogier.
    Rally addict since 1982

7. Likes: pantealex (29th August 2018),steve.mandzij (31st August 2018),tomhlord (29th August 2018)
    Visionary
    Liked 167 Times in 69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by er88 View Post
    IAs I see Lappi having more chance of becoming a world champion than Mikkelsen, Evans, Paddon, Breen and Suninen etc. It'd be a hell of team that would leave Citroen and Ford fucked in terms of a championship battle
    You're really from another planet aren't you?
    Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to a paramedic.

Liked 2,275 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sollitt View Post
    You're really from another planet aren't you?
    If you think Lappi doesn't have more potential than the drivers I've mentioned I think you're the one with their head in the clouds.

10. Likes: AnttiL (29th August 2018),leighton323 (30th August 2018),pantealex (30th August 2018)
    Liked 445 Times in 205 Posts
    Tänak & Mikkelsen under contract for 2019 but the others ?
    #sillyseason ► http://bit.ly/2NtXZcR

12. Likes: AnttiL (29th August 2018)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbmarcus21 View Post
    Tänak & Mikkelsen under contract for 2019 but the others ?
    #sillyseason ► http://bit.ly/2NtXZcR
    What are the rumors that say Latvala and Suninen would swap seats?

Liked 445 Times in 205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    What are the rumors that say Latvala and Suninen would swap seats?
    french newspaper speak about it .... but still rumour as always ... we will see

15. Likes: AnttiL (29th August 2018)