Threaded View

Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal the 2nd View Post
    You are right and the problem is aswell that most work for the same employer! When Motoring/Motorsport news was seperate from Autosport and we had other publications such as Rally Sport then us Brits had a choice who to believe. Now Evans and Benyon have to follow the same editorial steer to avoid upsetting the promotors.

As much as I would like to support our home drivers I get as much joy watching a spectacular Estonian driver as much as the man from Dungannon.
    To continue the topic. It's in a way understandable when motorsport journalists from "small" (in terms of rally) nations write biased articles about their drivers. Partly cause they often don't know much about rallying and partly it's to "promote" rallying in the country (= "look how great we are doing").
    So when reading news from these you immediately expect some bias and learn to ignore it.

But with the brits in the "international" media it's different for me. They often are doing only rallying so they have enough knowledge. Stuff like Allive runs only in 1 language but likely majority of the viewers are outside of UK. As an "official" channel it should be as independent as possible, also because the viewers are international, and this is where it often fails imo.

It's not only the fault of the journalists though, it's very hard to keep sub-conscious bias out. The easiest way to improve it would be to employ more non-uk hosts/commentators/interviewers. As far as I know now it's only Molly that is not from UK. There are tons of ex-drivers/co-drivers around as well as motorsport journalists in other countries. Should be possible to find a few that talk understandable English and want to do the work.
    Last edited by mknight; 11th October 2018 at 21:10.