Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 644 Times in 509 Posts
    He'll be back!
    May the forza be with you

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Great driver, but the way his career declined, especially in the end, is kind of weird or fascinating in itself.

For all his unhappiness that he couldn't get a great car in Ferrari in 2014, he ends up in McLaren-Honda, which made Ferrari look like a rocketship.

And once he realized he had made a mistake, nobody wants him any more.

Poor situation, but better luck in other series. After all, he is winning in Le Mans in Toyota.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazio View Post
    He'll be back!
    Maybe. I doubt he'll be back as a driver at his age.

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    There’s plenty more that share our opinion:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...nso--scheckter
    Yes, the only difference being that I dont think he is overrated though.
    If Lewis hadnt moved to Mercedes and won more WDC's, by your own logic, you are suggesting that Vettel would be a better driver than Lewis? I'd really struggle to accept that.

Whilst I think good career decision making might be a sign of being very well connected, well informed and visionary, pure driving ability itself is a seperate skill that should stand on its own.

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    Well, it was a rather sad way to end his career. and I think the

It was a lot better than Villeneuve's exit from F1.

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens View Post
    After all, he is winning in Le Mans in Toyota.

It was a great accomplishment to beat all those other factory teams. If I was Alonso, I'd sweep that win under a rug.

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    Yes, the only difference being that I dont think he is overrated though.
    If Lewis hadnt moved to Mercedes and won more WDC's, by your own logic, you are suggesting that Vettel would be a better driver than Lewis? I'd really struggle to accept that.

Whilst I think good career decision making might be a sign of being very well connected, well informed and visionary, pure driving ability itself is a seperate skill that should stand on its own.
    I don’t think he’s overrated but I do think he has only himself to blame for the last 5 years of his career. None of the big teams wanted him because, as Horner put it, “He tends to cause chaos wherever he goes”. As a driving talent he is amazing. I disagree that being able to make good career choices does not form part of being a great racing driver. Great drivers Schumacher, Senna, Hamilton have had to make key decisions at times throughout their careers. The decision to leave Ferrari and go to McLaren was just bonkers. He might not have another championship under his belt yet if he had stayed with Ferrari, but he’d have many more wins. It’s the decisions he has made and chaos he causes that has ultimately led to him not having a competitive drive for the last 5 years.

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    I don’t think he’s overrated but I do think he has only himself to blame for the last 5 years of his career. None of the big teams wanted him because, as Horner put it, “He tends to cause chaos wherever he goes”. As a driving talent he is amazing.
    Agreed..

I disagree that being able to make good career choices does not form part of being a great racing driver. Great drivers Schumacher, Senna, Hamilton have had to make key decisions at times throughout their careers. The decision to leave Ferrari and go to McLaren was just bonkers. He might not have another championship under his belt yet if he had stayed with Ferrari, but he’d have many more wins. It’s the decisions he has made and chaos he causes that has ultimately led to him not having a competitive drive for the last 5 years.
    Yes, agreed on the whole. Great racing driver but he wasnt as succesful as he could have been due to some character flaws.
    It seems our only disagreement here is over the choice of a single word. If we used the term 'succesfull' instead of 'greatest' racing driver, then that would also encompass that.
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zako85 View Post
    It was a lot better than Villeneuve's exit from F1.
    Yes, either of their exits.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    Motorsport Week is running the story that Alonso will be taking part in an IndyCar test in September: https://www.motorsportweek.com/news/id/19493