Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33
  1. #21
    Senior Member BigWorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    885
    Like
    206
    Liked 417 Times in 239 Posts
    We shall see, Ferrari speak highly of him but that's when he's in the sim cockpit... Ericsson being dropped was long overdue, felt like he could have been seasons ago.

    Now I hope Wehrlein and/or Vandoorne gets a surprise seat somewhere (Ocon too of course but that situation looks complicated). Guessing it won't happen but one could hope.

  2. Likes: truefan72 (27th September 2018)
  3. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,357
    Like
    124
    Liked 85 Times in 66 Posts
    Haas will continue with both Magnussen & Grosjean in 2019.
    So that only leaves Williams, STR and (former) Force India with seats to fill.
    Ocon, Perez, Stroll, Sirotkin, Hartley, Ericsson, Vandoorne of this year's drivers not yet confirmed, with Kubica, Kvyat & Wehrlein also looking for rides.
    This game of musical chairs will leave quite a few standing once the music stops...
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.

  4. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    95
    Like
    1
    Liked 50 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    https://www.eurosport.co.uk/formula-...89/story.shtml

    So Giovinazzi signs with Sauber in what can be only seen as a Ferrari B-team move.
    I rate him rather poorly and really no different than Ericcsen who was the worst driver on the grid for years in my book.
    Sauber should have gone more aggressive and hired a Wehrlein, Ocon or kvyatt (the current Ferarri test driver ffs)
    Ocon would have been released from his Mercedes contract and would have instantly given Sauber one of the strongest F1 lineups.
    oh well.

    I expect more crashes and mistakes from Antonio in 2019. SMH
    Giovinazzi in his limited appearances has been fast by any means but mistake prone. Definitely faster than Ericsson. If Ferrari is to believe then he is very good at setup and a hard worker (and instrumental in more than one race win for Ferrari for his sim work).

  5. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Greenwich, London UK
    Posts
    1,207
    Like
    0
    Liked 256 Times in 207 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    https://www.eurosport.co.uk/formula-...89/story.shtml

    So Giovinazzi signs with Sauber in what can be only seen as a Ferrari B-team move.
    I rate him rather poorly and really no different than Ericcsen who was the worst driver on the grid for years in my book.
    Sauber should have gone more aggressive and hired a Wehrlein, Ocon or kvyatt (the current Ferarri test driver ffs)
    Ocon would have been released from his Mercedes contract and would have instantly given Sauber one of the strongest F1 lineups.
    oh well.

    I expect more crashes and mistakes from Antonio in 2019. SMH
    There is some suggestion that Raikonen may be in Sauber to help develop the car and mentor Giovinazzi. He is clearly not in the Verstapenn, Gastly or Leclerc league, but he deserves a second chance as l suspect he would not get another if he doesn't up his game in 2019. I think he has good speed but seem fragile and mentally brittle. That said, F1 is a daunting place to be, he may surprise all when he gets in the car in 2019.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

  6. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Greenwich, London UK
    Posts
    1,207
    Like
    0
    Liked 256 Times in 207 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by gm99 View Post
    Haas will continue with both Magnussen & Grosjean in 2019.
    So that only leaves Williams, STR and (former) Force India with seats to fill.
    Ocon, Perez, Stroll, Sirotkin, Hartley, Ericsson, Vandoorne of this year's drivers not yet confirmed, with Kubica, Kvyat & Wehrlein also looking for rides.
    This game of musical chairs will leave quite a few standing once the music stops...
    Don't forget George Russell who l think is a very exciting prospect for a F1 seat in 2019. I would not be surprised if he gets a seat ahead of most of the drivers listed above. I think Perez may be the most secure of the lot, chances are Williams may go with Russel because he may come with some sort of engine deal. And he may be cheaper than Ocon and just as capable. Ocon may be more appealing because of his F1 experience and his fiesty driving style.

    That said, l have got these sort of predictions wrong in the past, l personally would wait and see.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 28th September 2018 at 23:15.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

  7. Likes: gm99 (30th September 2018),truefan72 (9th October 2018)
  8. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    7,127
    Like
    3
    Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
    They should get rid of contracts. And get rid of more than 2 drivers being "owned" by a parent company. Mercedes already control too much of F1. They chose the regulations for 2014, and surprise, surprise, then had the best car. Everytime i see or hear from Toto Wolff I want to switch the TV off. F1 should be about drivers, not that Austrian bighead.

    Too much politics and interference in F1 at the moment.

    Ferrari - need to replace Vettel. He isn't good enough. They should have broke the bank for Hamilton before he signed his latest Mercedes contract.

    The whole Stroll situation. It is quite embarrassing, mainly for Williams. It is clear to anybody that Kubica should have been in that second car. Yet, Sirotkin ended up there. You know the reason why - Daddy Stroll didn't want Kubica coming in and outshining his son. Lance/Lawrence vetoed Kubica and made sure Sirotkin was the No 2. Money talks. Expect a performance drop from Force India next season with Stroll and a Perez who isn't being challenged as hard.

    The 2020 grid is what excites me most. I expect Vettel to leave Ferrari and Bottas to be done at Mercedes.
    Niente è vero, tutto è permesso

  9. #27
    Senior Member truefan72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    5,206
    Like
    696
    Liked 202 Times in 152 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bezza View Post
    The 2020 grid is what excites me most. I expect Vettel to leave Ferrari and Bottas to be done at Mercedes.
    yup, here are my predictions for 2020

    Mercedes: Hamilton/Russell
    Ferrari: Leclerc/DeVries (or a shock Alonso return)
    RBR: Gasley/Verstappen
    Force india : Stroll/Perez (maybe wehrlein)
    Reanult: Ricciardo/Markalov
    Sauber: Vettel/Hulkenberg
    Torro Rosso: Kyvatt/Tiktum
    Mclaren: Norris/Sainz
    williams: Ocon/Bottas


    If Hamilton win's his 6th with Mercedes in 2019 there is a very good chance he moves to Ferrari for a 2 year deal
    Which would mean a cascade of things:

    Mercedes: Verstappen/Russell
    Ferrari: Leclerc/Hamilton
    RBR: Gasley/DeVries
    Force india : Stroll/Albon
    Reanult: Ricciardo/Markelov
    Sauber: Vettel/Ocon
    Torro Rosso: Kyvatt/Tiktum( or wehrlein)
    Mclaren: Norris/Sainz
    williams: Perez/Bottas

    odd man out Hulkenberg
    Last edited by truefan72; 9th October 2018 at 18:10.
    you can't argue with results

  10. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Greenwich, London UK
    Posts
    1,207
    Like
    0
    Liked 256 Times in 207 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    yup, here are my predictions for 2020

    Mercedes: Hamilton/Russell
    Ferrari: Leclerc/DeVries (or a shock Alonso return)
    RBR: Gasley/Verstappen
    Force india : Stroll/Perez (maybe wehrlein)
    Reanult: Ricciardo/Markalov
    Sauber: Vettel/Hulkenberg
    Torro Rosso: Kyvatt/Tiktum
    Mclaren: Norris/Sainz
    williams: Ocon/Bottas


    If Hamilton win's his 6th with Mercedes in 2019 there is a very good chance he moves to Ferrari for a 2 year deal
    Which would mean a cascade of things:

    Mercedes: Verstappen/Russell
    Ferrari: Leclerc/Hamilton
    RBR: Gasley/DeVries
    Force india : Stroll/Albon
    Reanult: Ricciardo/Markelov
    Sauber: Vettel/Ocon
    Torro Rosso: Kyvatt/Tiktum( or wehrlein)
    Mclaren: Norris/Sainz
    williams: Perez/Bottas

    odd man out Hulkenberg
    :-)
    Brave man. I normally do one these predictions and l alweays end up with egg in the face. That said, l like your prediction, it would be close to what l would venture to say about it.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

  11. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Greenwich, London UK
    Posts
    1,207
    Like
    0
    Liked 256 Times in 207 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    George Russell signs for Williams. It just got tougher for Ocon, but apparently the other seat at Williams is still undecided.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

  12. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Greenwich, London UK
    Posts
    1,207
    Like
    0
    Liked 256 Times in 207 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    It is looking like a head to head between Sirotkin and Ocon for the available seat at Williams. On paper, Lance Stroll trashed Sirotkin 6 points to one so far. But was he good enough to be in F1? Unfortunately, the Williams car was not good enough for us to make such an estimation. But Williams have all the telemetry to make such a comparison. What we did see was some very gritty driving which frustrated Perez enough to cause him to slam into the side of Sirotkin's Williams in Singapore.

    I think Sirotkin is susceptible to Ocon taking his seat because Williams would need a more experienced driver next to the rookie Russell to help develop the 2019 car. Ocon has the benefit of working for one of Williams closest arch rival Force India. Hence, his insights would be of benefit to Williams.

    I shall miss Sirotkin, if he lose his seat at Williams, he promises to be one of the most interesting characters of F1 if chanced to continue in the sport. He was not slow which was refreshing. He at least showed he was a racer and not your typical money bag driver. I hope he gets the chance to continue to race in F1.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

  13. Likes: truefan72 (19th October 2018)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •