Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts

2019 silly season

Some seats for the next season have already been sorted, while the rest is still open. With Ricciardo moving to Renault and Strolls buying Force India it looks like there could be quite a bit of movement in midfield. So what could we get as a line-up next year?

Mercedes: Hamilton, Bottas

Ferrari: Vettel, Räikkönen? Leclerc? I think it's between these two now.

Red Bull-Honda: Verstappen, Gasly? Sainz? Surely one of those? Or will we have a surprise?

Renault: Ricciardo, Hülkenberg

Haas-Ferrari: Magnussen? Grosjean? Leclerc? I guess K-Mag stays on, but what about the second seat?

former F.I.-Mercedes: Stroll, Perez? Ocon? One of current drivers probably has to go elsewhere following the purchase by daddy Stroll. Anyone else in range for the seat?

McLaren-Renault: Alonso? Vandoorne? Norris? Sainz? All open here. What will Alonso do? Has Vandoorne convinced McLaren to keep him? Sainz has been rumoured. Anyone else?

Toro Rosso-Honda: Gasly? Sainz? Hartley? Norris? Sainz is out of Renault now, what next? Gasly could move on. Hartley has been unconvincing, will he stay? TR is also trying to get Norris from McLaren. Anyone else?

Sauber-Ferrari: Leclerc? Ericsson? Giovinazzi? Could Leclerc get a promotion to a better team? Could Gio make a comeback for the full season now? Ericsson's backers own the team, so he is a shoe-in to continue?

Williams-Mercedes: Sirotkin? Kubica? Russell? Could this be the opportunity for reserve driver Kubica to move into a race seat? But Mercedes needs to place their juniors somewhere too (including Ocon). Surely Williams would need a paydriver following the departure of Stroll? Oh, so complicated.

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    Here's my prediction:

Mercedes: Hamilton, Bottas

Ferrari: Vettel, Räikkönen. I don't think the top brass at Ferrari will want to rock the boat too much in their first months.

Red Bull-Honda: Verstappen, Gasly. Don't think Red Bull will want to put Verstappen and Sainz together, and Gasly has been impressive this season, whereas Sainz, not so much.

Renault: Ricciardo, Hülkenberg.

Haas-Ferrari: Magnussen, Leclerc. Grosjean needs out after his very poor start to 2018 and I can see how Ferrari would be happy to give Leclerc a year in a better car than the Sauber to prepare him for a move to Ferrari.

Force India: Pérez, Stroll. I can't see FI giving Pérez the boot after he essentially saved the team, so Ocon needs to go.

McLaren-Renault: Alonso and Sainz. Alonso doesn't really have that many options for 2019, so I'd expect him to continue for one more year - and Sainz looks like a nice number two driver for the team.

Toro Rosso-Honda: Norris and Hartley, at least for the start of 2019. I can imagine Hartley will get kicked out sooner rather than later, though; I wouldn't expect him to see out 2019 based on his present performances. And Norris seems like a fine bargaining chip in exchange for James Key's services.

Sauber-Ferrari: Ericsson, Giovinazzi. If Leclerc leaves, then yes, Giovinazzi seems like a decent (and Ferrari-backed) choice.

Williams-Mercedes: Sirotkin and Russell. Sirotkin hasn't set the world alight, but he brings some cash will be sorely needed by Williams, particularly if Stroll Sr. reduces his commitment to the team. And this will also give Mercedes a place to slot in one of their young drivers in exchange for some peanuts.

Yeah, that's what I'd put my money on. Haas is the biggest question mark and I'm not that sure that Stroll Jr. will move to Force India in 2019, but I find it looks more plausible than the alternatives.

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    So you reckon Ocon will be out of F1?

That would be harsh. He is good.

If Mercedes isn't prepared to find him a seat in F1, perhaps McLaren or Toro Rosso would look at him? Recently Toro Rosso seems intent on looking for drivers in other junior programme anyway (Norris), considering they don't have any left.

4. Likes: N4D13 (8th August 2018)
    Quote Originally Posted by jens View Post
    So you reckon Ocon will be out of F1?

That would be harsh. He is good.

If Mercedes isn't prepared to find him a seat in F1, perhaps McLaren or Toro Rosso would look at him? Recently Toro Rosso seems intent on looking for drivers in other junior programme anyway (Norris), considering they don't have any left.
    I actually hadn't noticed that my picks would result in Ocon out of F1. But if he was to be replaced in Force India, then I guess Sauber or Haas would be the most obvious suitors. McLaren also is a candidate, but they have been making too many gestures to Sainz.

Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    It may be Stroll and Ocon at "Force Canada", as they have been good friends from way back .

Cruel it may be , but Perez might be the odd man out in this scenario .
    Could be another candidate for team Willy .
    Or Haas .
    Last edited by Bagwan; 8th August 2018 at 19:29.

7. Likes: N4D13 (9th August 2018)
    Liked 639 Times in 505 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    "Force Canada"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwPntgJbwJo
    May the forza be with you

Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Ocon and Perez will be on the grid next season.

Liked 316 Times in 181 Posts
    So who will replace Alonso at MCL now that Alonso have announced that he quits F1 after this season.
    ...Funny how ev'rything was roses when we held on to the guns...

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Carlos Sainz holds the key to the driver market right now. He'll either end up at McLaren or RBR. I think it would be stupid of RBR to not promote him to the Senior Red Bull outfit. He has paid his dues and deserves a run at the top. I don't think the tension that was between him and Verstappen was anything more than was there between any other two team mates you'd find on the grid. There will always be some tension between team mates.

It's one of the most open driver markets now in years. Ocon to McLaren perhaps to partner Stoffle?? I think Stoffle's seat is safe for next year now. I can't see McLaren wanting to switch both drivers between seasons.

EDIT: Just heard Sainz will be heading to McLaren - unconfirmed yet.
    Last edited by The Black Knight; 15th August 2018 at 10:37.

Autosport is reporting that RBR will stick with Gasly and McLaren is shooting for Sainz.