Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens View Post
    Ultimately I think Ricciardo left Red Bull, because he doesn't want to be in the shadow of Verstappen. Back in 2014 some people claimed Vettel ran away from Ricciardo, so ironically now Ricciardo is doing the same from Verstappen. But who could blame him. Red Bull is unlikely to win a championship in the next couple of years either, unless Honda produces a miracle, and Ricciardo himself wants to be a top dog in a team too. That's the nature of a top driver.
    I don't see Ricciardo as running away from Verstappen in terms of him being scared of being beaten by him. His record suggests he is still the better driver.
    Maybe scared of having a team mate favoured by the team as we seemed to have witnessed on a few occasions.
    A perfectly understandable response IMO but there is a big difference between the two. I don't see Danny as being cowardly with this move at all.

I really hope it turns out far better than I think it will. Best of luck Danny!
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

2. Likes: Warriwa (6th August 2018)
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    While it was a surprise to hear of the move, after a moments thought, it appears a very good gamble. Clearly Ricciado wants to be on a progress trajectory that was heading upwards. The Redbull Honda partnership is bound to bring an initial stagnation or possibly a short drop in relative progress as the two heavy weights try to work together as a formal partnership. Then there is the quiet question everyone is asking; can these two work together successfully considering the notorious impatience and tactless criticism that Redbull is notorious for. Then there is the question of whether Honda can deliver the sort of engine that Redbull wants in order to remain in the sharp end of the grid?

When you look at these things, it becomes obvious that Redbull is a more risky option compared to Renault over the next two years at least. Some may venture to say that Redbull may be unlikely to win races with the Honda engine in their inception year, but may do so in the second year of the partnership. This implies that the F1 grid may shuffle somewhat in the 2019 season, with Renault looking like the most likely candidate to slip into the third best team slot while Redbull is sorting out its new relationship with Honda.

Chances are, this is the optimum decision available to Ricciado outside Mercedes and Ferrari. This is so because, Renault has clearly made some very noticeable progress this year. Their trajectory is very promising and looking likely to swing above Redbull's in 2019 and 2020. The lovely thing about Ricciado's contract, is it ends at the same time as everyones contract; as F1 goes into the new era of engines and chassis in 2021. The 2021 market shall herald some dramatic driver movements. Depending on how Ricciado's two years with Renault goes, we can still see him in Red Ferrari or Silver Merc gear. The real cost of the gamble to leave Redbull would be known in 2021. If the Redbull-Honda partnership delivers a gem of a car for that season onwards, and Ricciado do not get a Merc or Ferrari seat and Renault fails to deliver a top car, then we can say that he has made an Alonso decision. Really it would not matter either way as he would be over thirty by then and feeling the heat of new young talents influx into F1 gunning for his seat.

It is a real shame that he did not get into a top end team now while is clearly at his best. I would venture to say that after seeing the last two years of Bottas in the Merc, Ricciado is more deserving of that seat in my opinion.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 4th August 2018 at 21:32.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    This implies that the F1 grid may shuffle somewhat in the 2019 season, with Renault looking like the most likely candidate to slip into the third best team slot while Redbull is sorting out its new relationship with Honda.
    I wouldn't totally count out Haas as a candidate for that spot. Given the progress this year it's a (small) possibility. They'll need to replace Grosjean with someone who has their head screwed on straight though.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    I wouldn't totally count out Haas as a candidate for that spot. Given the progress this year it's a (small) possibility. They'll need to replace Grosjean with someone who has their head screwed on straight though.
    I agree. This two teams are going to be the source of some interesting battles as they fight to be the best of the rest in 2019. It would be interesting to see if Haas can maintain their momentum going into 2019. I expect Renault to edge it over Haas by 2020
    William Shakespeare

Liked 788 Times in 585 Posts
    Add in that next year the front wings will be simpler , which may help the others against the Newey design .
    Being as wide as the front tires may , as well , help everyone follow more closely in higher speed corners , which Red Bull currently does pretty well .

Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
    When your team publicly state they want Verstappen to be world champion, automatically take Verstappen's side after any incident and forget your tires after calling you in for a stop, then it is time to move on. I am thrilled he is leaving Red Bullock's. I would rather see him given equal treatment and fight for tenth. At least Ferrari admit they have a number two driver instead of cloak and dagger stuff like Red Bull.
    Maybe I see the unfairness as a result of watching Webber suffer for years. Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean it isn't happening.

8. Likes: Mia 01 (7th August 2018),truefan72 (9th August 2018)
    Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    Extraordinary from RB that they'd low ball and alienate their premier driver so much that he'd go to Renault. I don't get why they'd put all their eggs in Verstappen when he hasn't demonstrated season long consistency that's required to win a championship unless you produce an all time dominant car. Ricciardo has shown that he doesn't need a dominant car to win or be in contention for the title.

Daniel will bite them in the ass. They only thing he'd have to worry about is that I'd expect Hulkenberg to compare well to him and even elevate himself if Renault become serious contenders.

Liked 667 Times in 465 Posts
    In the end, only Daniel himself knows the real reasons. Maybe after the season is over we will hear more about it, but then again maybe not.

The story will unravel in front of all of us as to whether it was a good move or not. Career wise I think most of the mid field or better drivers have options that might not just focus around money, but around their working environment as well as visibility and making their mark on the sport that might draw attention from the very top teams. There have been plenty of other driver moves over the years that I initially thought we poorly timed, but in hindsight turned out great.

I personally think RB have pushed him away with all the attention they have given to Max. I see Max as a great talent that will rise farther up as he matures. But I see Ricciardo as an overall more well rounded driver at current time. He also seems a downright decent guy, and often keeps an upbeat attitude. I'm sure Renault will be happy to have him, and it looks like they are already on the upswing this year.

I hope things work out well for both Daniel and Renault.

As for the rest of the seat swapping to come, I guess we will find out soon enough.

11. Likes: Mia 01 (7th August 2018)
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    In the end, only Daniel himself knows the real reasons. Maybe after the season is over we will hear more about it, but then again maybe not.

The story will unravel in front of all of us as to whether it was a good move or not. Career wise I think most of the mid field or better drivers have options that might not just focus around money, but around their working environment as well as visibility and making their mark on the sport that might draw attention from the very top teams. There have been plenty of other driver moves over the years that I initially thought we poorly timed, but in hindsight turned out great.

I personally think RB have pushed him away with all the attention they have given to Max. I see Max as a great talent that will rise farther up as he matures. But I see Ricciardo as an overall more well rounded driver at current time. He also seems a downright decent guy, and often keeps an upbeat attitude. I'm sure Renault will be happy to have him, and it looks like they are already on the upswing this year.

I hope things work out well for both Daniel and Renault.

As for the rest of the seat swapping to come, I guess we will find out soon enough.
    You could say the relationship between Ricciado and Redbull started to fracture from Monaco 2015 GP, l think; when they screwed up the race he had in the bag. He has had a number of races where he has started out of position due to engine penalties which some may be put to bad relationship between Redbull and Renault. It certainly would not impress Daniel that Redbull is refusing to take the latest parts from Renault and may have suffered engine penalties due to using outdated parts.
    Ricciado has an inside perspective of how the redbull-Renault relationship has unfolded over the years. His move to Renault would suggest that he has more confidence in the Renault package than Redbull has.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    This may well turn out to be an inspired move by Ricciardo but I can’t help but think that he knows that Max is getting quicker and more consistent all the time and that at some point in the next year or two he would have had to play a supporting role. Lets face it, Max has whipped him in qualifying and, barring some bad luck and some costly decisions, he would be well ahead of Ricciardo in the championship by now and possibly in contention for the title. Max is too talented to not iron out his inconsistencies pretty soon and Ricciardo knows that.

Christian Horner said the same recently that he believes the Max factor had a lot to do with Ricciardo’s decision. If this is true, it’s a shame he ran as soon as he was threatened, like Vettel did in 2014.

Whatever the reason, I don’t see Ricciardo winning for a long time now, unless Renault somehow produce something magical over the winter. I can see him getting Renault a podium before Hulkenberg though 😂😂😂