Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N4D13 View Post
    I think we'd all love to see Alonso on a competitive car, but I don't think that'll happen anytime soon. And I don't see a reason why RBR in particular would go for the biggest prima donna in F1 when they've got a crop of very fast drivers who'll most likely remain in F1 for quite a few years, where Alonso only has one or two years left in the sport at most.
    One thing RBR can be confident of is that Alonso will always bring a car home - Max not so much. The other thing Alonso will tell them is if the Honda is a dog.

I would never refer to Alonso as the biggest prima donna in F1 - that title definitely belongs to another...

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Whyzars View Post
    One thing RBR can be confident of is that Alonso will always bring a car home - Max not so much. The other thing Alonso will tell them is if the Honda is a dog.

I would never refer to Alonso as the biggest prima donna in F1 - that title definitely belongs to another...
    Keep in mind that Honda won't want Alonso in one of their cars either after his public repeated bashings of their engine. On top of that, driving a car with an Honda engine means that Alonso wouldn't be able to see out the 2018/2019 WEC season, as there's no way in hell that Honda would let him drive a Toyota. And Alonso has already got the Le Mans crown, but you can expect him to gun for the WEC one as well.

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    a company when publicly humiliated

Such statement can only exist inside of a seriously deranged mind. Red Bull won 4 double titles for Renault engines, and is on the way to earn the 60th GP win while powered by Renault, but some people still think that Renault is being publicly humiliated. Wow.

Well, let me tell you one thing. Renault will be actually publicly humiliated next season when it fights along with McLaren, Force India and Haas for the fifth or sixth place, while RBR-Honda will continue winning races like they have been doing this season.

Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N4D13 View Post
    Keep in mind that Honda won't want Alonso in one of their cars either after his public repeated bashings of their engine. On top of that, driving a car with an Honda engine means that Alonso wouldn't be able to see out the 2018/2019 WEC season, as there's no way in hell that Honda would let him drive a Toyota. And Alonso has already got the Le Mans crown, but you can expect him to gun for the WEC one as well.
    Honda only had to produce a quick engine that finished races and Alonso would've given them nothing but praise. Maybe he has actually spurred them into action.

Alonso is only flirting with different drives because he hasn't been able to get a competitive seat in F1 - the other drives are what he does when he's not working.

5. Likes: truefan72 (3rd August 2018)
    Liked 788 Times in 585 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zako85 View Post
    Such statement can only exist inside of a seriously deranged mind. Red Bull won 4 double titles for Renault engines, and is on the way to earn the 60th GP win while powered by Renault, but some people still think that Renault is being publicly humiliated. Wow.

Well, let me tell you one thing. Renault will be actually publicly humiliated next season when it fights along with McLaren, Force India and Haas for the fifth or sixth place, while RBR-Honda will continue winning races like they have been doing this season.
    I wasn't really talking specifically about this year , but , OK .
    Perhaps I was dreaming all that agro between them in the past .
    Could be .

Perhaps I am deranged , as you seem to suggest .

I do think that Honda will fight hard , as they had that public humiliation that was the partnership with McLaren .

I hope both trouble Ferrari and Mercedes .
    But then , I may be deranged .

7. Likes: Tazio (4th August 2018),truefan72 (3rd August 2018),Warriwa (6th August 2018)
    Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    I had Danny as signing a new RB contract so a bit surprised to learn this.
    Not sure its a great move but what do I know... I said the same when Lewis signed for Mercedes!
    Danny will hopefully have weighed this up carefully and have some good insider knowledge or potentially face a few seasons of mediocrity which might tarnish his otherwise good record.

9. Likes: truefan72 (3rd August 2018)
    Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Alright, I think Ricciardo made a good move for the following reasons
    1. This reminds me of Hamilton to Mercedes in 2013 move. It make look like a long uphill challenge initially but I think Renault are poised to challenge the big 3
    2. Renault is a works team and to be honest the car is not too far behind. With Hulkenberg and Riccardo, I could see them with at least a few podiums and perhaps a win next year
    3. Renault might be already be working hard towards the 2021 regs and be in an optimum position to challenge firmly going forward from there
    4. The RBR Honda partnership is still an unknown quantity and IMO will be a a bit of a challenge in 2019
    5. All indications were that Marko and the brass were firmly behind the Verstappen making the situation a bit contentious for Daniel

As for RBR, I think that Gasly gets promoted, and fairly quickly.
    (if I was them, I would sign Alonso for 1 year and despite his acrimonious Honda relationship, might actually bring them a few wins next year, if the engine holds up,then have Gasly ready for the 2020 seats when Alosno retires.
    I see Sainz going to Mclaren to partner with Vandoorne or Alonso,
    If Vandoorne goes, I see him landing at Sauber with Leclerc (if kimi stays) and or Giovanazzi
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    In some ways somewhat unexpected, but in some ways you can see, why did he do that.

Looking at Renault's performance, they get lapped in races in which safety cars don't intervene. So their performance is nowhere near top teams and considering, how little fluctuations there is among top teams these days, it looks like Renault isn't threatening the front any time soon. Neither chassis nor engine is among the best, and this is an underwhelming combination.

Ultimately I think Ricciardo left Red Bull, because he doesn't want to be in the shadow of Verstappen. Back in 2014 some people claimed Vettel ran away from Ricciardo, so ironically now Ricciardo is doing the same from Verstappen. But who could blame him. Red Bull is unlikely to win a championship in the next couple of years either, unless Honda produces a miracle, and Ricciardo himself wants to be a top dog in a team too. That's the nature of a top driver.

It's a bit of a shame though that Ricciardo's destination is Renault, and the doors of two top teams, namely Mercedes and Ferrari, are locked. But that's the way politics and team hierarchies work. Part of me actually wonders if we ever see Ricciardo becoming a World Champion. For a driver, who had a brilliant 2014, and has outscored Verstappen in the last two seasons, and is still leading him in the points this year too, that's a tough fate. Ricciardo's career starts to resemble Alonso's recent career, and a talent like him getting stuck in midfield would be kind of sad. Without having properly fulfilled his potential. 7 race wins and not a single shot at the championship.

Liked 153 Times in 85 Posts
    Red Bull wanted to sign him for 2 years, Ricciardo only wanted 1. So now he's off for a 1-year stint at Renault and then will search for a better option in 2020. It's as simple as that.
    Viola ad oltranza...

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smsgrafica View Post
    Red Bull wanted to sign him for 2 years, Ricciardo only wanted 1. So now he's off for a 1-year stint at Renault and then will search for a better option in 2020. It's as simple as that.
    Do we know for certain that he's on a one-year contract?

On top of that, Joe Saward doesn't seem very inclined to buy that Sainz will be going back to RBR given the previous friction between Verstappen and him. So McLaren looks like the most logical destination. But it's probably not a very good deal for Sainz since Alonso has pretty much slaughtered every teammate for the last 11 years (with the exception of Button in 2015, but that season was a sham, so it's difficult to draw conclusions). For Sainz's career it may be better to partner Verstappen, whom he matched during their only season together.