Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hungary 2018

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Ricciardo might finish 3rd. If vettel gets a penalty.
    you can't argue with results.

Quote Originally Posted by gm99 View Post
    I'm glad Bottas is such a great sportsman...
    Lol. The damage was done when mercedes stupidly pit bottas 10 laps early for no reason. Another race strategy blunder cost bottas dearly. Pathetic

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    Dirty vettel. Smh
    Lol. And now Bottas rams ricciardo
    I’ll be surprised if Vettel doesn’t pick up a penalty. He clearly moved over to block Bottas and left him no room. You need to give the following driver room, can’t expect him to just disappear.

Liked 46 Times in 41 Posts
    Driver of the day to Gasly. Vettel had a great recovery drive to limit the damage. Donkey goes to Renault for retiring Verstappen & VanDoorne.

Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    I’ll be surprised if Vettel doesn’t pick up a penalty. He clearly moved over to block Bottas and left him no room. You need to give the following driver room, can’t expect him to just disappear.
    Well, be surprised then - no investigation against Vettel.
    Even Toto Wolff (on Austrian TV) called it a racing incident, but expects a time penalty against Bottas for ramming Ricciardo.
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.

6. Likes: truefan72 (30th July 2018)
    Of course it turns out verstappens car had an electrical problem. I hope both horner and brundle will issue an apology to renault. Especially horner. This is why i can't stsnd rbr. Before any facts come in, they kick the dirt in renault's face and then when the truth come out...crickets. horner continues to show why he is the worst team principle on the grid

8. Likes: N. Jones (30th July 2018)
    Quote Originally Posted by longisland View Post
    Driver of the day to Gasly. Vettel had a great recovery drive to limit the damage. Donkey goes to Renault for retiring Verstappen & VanDoorne.
    Verstappen was electrical.
    Vandoorne was mechanical
    The real donkey was sainz for ignoring 9 blue flags and mercedes for pitting bottas early.

Liked 668 Times in 466 Posts
    Interesting race for Hungary.

At race start it looked like it was going to become a bore-fest. Seb got by Kimi with his usual quick first lap and Kimi's usual lack of first lap. That move probably saved Seb 2nd place in the end. But barring Ricciardo picking off cars, it looked like the race would be really boring until Ferrari brought Kimi in so early. For reasons I still don't quite understand, Merc pitted Bottas to cover.

In all fairness, those two moves that seemed less than logical mixed the race up fairly well. I was very surprised Bottas did such a good job of defending against Vettel. Doing so left Lewis to control pace and solidify a win without a battle or any real threat up front. Kimi's second stop seemed even more bizarre to me, but back on track he had great pace, and easily caught up with the Bottas and Vettel fight.

Having now watched it several times, I still think Seb should have at least been investigated after the impact with Bottas. He shut the door without room, knowing Bottas had old tires and was struggling for grip. And on top of that, a number of cars easily took an outside line through that corner without forcing the issue on the inside cars. Likewise I'm surprised that Ricciardo then made the outside move he did, even though it left a lot more room than Seb's move earlier. At that point it looked to me like the RB would easily get the Merc, and Ricciardo really had no chance of catching Kimi or Seb.

Some real pace from the Toro Rosso squad as well, mixing it up with a seemingly improving mid field pack of cars. Seeing those Force India cars be pushed out of the points by the likes of Renault, Haas, and Toro Rosso is an eye opener. As for Mclaren, I think they are in the crapper and only Alonso and his driving are really doing the work.

11. Likes: truefan72 (30th July 2018)
    Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gm99 View Post
    Well, be surprised then - no investigation against Vettel.
    Even Toto Wolff (on Austrian TV) called it a racing incident, but expects a time penalty against Bottas for ramming Ricciardo.
    I am not surprised the stewards bottled it when Ferrari are involved but I do think Vettel should have given more room. Bottas can’t just vanish into thin air. With the experience Vettel has he should have realised Bottas have still been down the inside. Regardless of the line he took, Bottas would not have been able to get in front of him.

Anyway, I think Vettel would have passed him regardless. Lewis would have managed to keep Vettel behind in that situation. It’s the difference, once again, between Bottas and Hamilton.

13. Likes: truefan72 (30th July 2018)
    Liked 1,068 Times in 599 Posts
    This is the first race at the Hungaroring that I can say I truly enjoyed besides the rain soaked 2006 version. I don't think Vettel deserved a penalty but it looked like he shut the door rather quickly into turn three and Bottas was either caught out or his tires just didn't have the grip as we saw later in the race.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

15. Likes: airshifter (31st July 2018),gm99 (30th July 2018)