Page 73 of 344 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123173 ... LastLast
    Liked 2,241 Times in 1,199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvel View Post
    I just think it could be that M sport is not doing the whole 2019 championship.
    When dies FIA announce 2019 entry list? We’ll know soon.

2. Likes: pantealex (7th December 2018)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvel View Post
    I just think it could be that M sport is not doing the whole 2019 championship.
    Suninen has a deal for the whole season, that's what we know for now.

4. Likes: pantealex (7th December 2018)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    I can't really agree with him on the reason tbh. Clark says main goal for Loeb would be to "support" Neuville. I really don't think Loeb would want to drive some rallies just to drop behind to clear the road (ref. Evans and Suninen in Finland, Australia etc..), to be forbidden to drive fast on power stages or to have to do service on his car himself when mechanics are busy with Neuvilles car.

For me the main reason Hyundai would want Loeb is to help with development and setup on the car as they seem to struggle quite often with setup even against Ford and Citroen and vs Toyota seem to lack speed in general.
    I think the most important thing why Hyundai would want to hire someone like Loeb is to secure manufacturer championship. Both in terms of good results in addition to Neuville and car setup help.

Liked 2,275 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Supporting Neuville doesn't necessarily mean dropping positions to finish behind him, or doing what Evans and Suninen did this year for Ogier. Loeb could support Neuville by winning rallies or finishing ahead of Neuville's title rivals. Taking pts away from the likes of Ogier and Tanak etc. This helps Hyundai and Neuville.

Evans and Suninen got used in almost humiliating fashion sometimes by Msport this year, but it's only because Suninen is a rookie and Evans had an awful season. They wouldn't have been dropping minor places at the end of rallies, or at the end of days to help with running order, if either were up fighting for the wins. Most of the time they were at the back end of the top 10 or 5th,6th,7th at best. Tanak didn't get asked to do that for Seb at Msport, yet he still "supported" Ogiers title bid because he took pts off Neuville by winning rallies and finishing ahead of him.

Ofcourse if Loeb is 3rd and Neuville 4th, they'd swap positions or anything similar. But I'm sure Neuville wants a team mate who is better than what he's got and can be up there sort of challenging. I believe he's said as much himself? Mikkelsen was meant to be that team mate but Neuville has made him look like a mug most of the season.

7. Likes: Rally Power (7th December 2018),WRC1 (7th December 2018)
    Liked 132 Times in 46 Posts
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/motorsport/...er-cruel-year/

Craig says he is "desperately trying to put something together" for next year.
    Also says "atmosphere was difficult at times in the team", think that says a lot.....

Hopefully he can but you can see the difficulty of getting a seat in the current climate.
    Last edited by Jewy46; 7th December 2018 at 09:42.

9. Likes: dimviii (7th December 2018)
    Liked 9,258 Times in 4,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by er88 View Post
    Supporting Neuville doesn't necessarily mean dropping positions to finish behind him, or doing what Evans and Suninen did this year for Ogier. Loeb could support Neuville by winning rallies or finishing ahead of Neuville's title rivals. Taking pts away from the likes of Ogier and Tanak etc. This helps Hyundai and Neuville.

Evans and Suninen got used in almost humiliating fashion sometimes by Msport this year, but it's only because Suninen is a rookie and Evans had an awful season. They wouldn't have been dropping minor places at the end of rallies, or at the end of days to help with running order, if either were up fighting for the wins. Most of the time they were at the back end of the top 10 or 5th,6th,7th at best. Tanak didn't get asked to do that for Seb at Msport, yet he still "supported" Ogiers title bid because he took pts off Neuville by winning rallies and finishing ahead of him.

Ofcourse if Loeb is 3rd and Neuville 4th, they'd swap positions or anything similar. But I'm sure Neuville wants a team mate who is better than what he's got and can be up there sort of challenging. I believe he's said as much himself? Mikkelsen was meant to be that team mate but Neuville has made him look like a mug most of the season.
    Excellent post summing up exactly why it was fair for Evans and Suninen to support Ogier.

Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    I can't really agree with him on the reason tbh. Clark says main goal for Loeb would be to "support" Neuville.
    -------------
    Obviously you can agree on CCs opinions/speculations or not. But to criticize him for having an option and sharing it when he is a journalist is extremely retarded. To attract manufacturers/sponsors you need popularity, (almost) any kind of discussion or media talk is a plus. CC is atm the only worldwide known rally journalist that actually has an opinion and gets out with it. We should want more of those, not less.(Evans is 99% press release copy and Holmes used to be ok some time ago but lately is like Evans).
    He actually says Loeb’s main goal would be helping Hyundai to get championships (manus and drivers); he’s totally rigth underlining how vital Loeb can be to a Hyundai rebound, just like Ogier is for Citroen (and already could have been last year).

Btw, between call Clark pathetic or considering him the most notorious rally journalist of the world, there’s probably a better way to define his work, once even he admitts not being a journalist. A journalist main job is to inform and report, not to speculate or entertain; in that sense I miss a more active presence of Mr. Holmes, for decades the most respected rally news source, and believe that it’s fair to admit that Evans is now the main reference in that field, no matter how people judge his work. Anyway, Clark surely deserves credit for opening a new kind of rally comunication in the social media and there’s plenty of room and freedom for others to follow him.
    Rally addict since 1982

12. Likes: AnttiL (8th December 2018),the sniper (7th December 2018)
    Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post
    He actually says Loeb’s main goal would be helping Hyundai to get championships (manus and drivers); he’s totally rigth underlining how vital Loeb can be to a Hyundai rebound, just like Ogier is for Citroen (and already could have been last year).

Btw, between call Clark pathetic or considering him the most notorious rally journalist of the world, there’s probably a better way to define his work, once even he admitts not being a journalist. A journalist main job is to inform and report, not to speculate or entertain; in that sense I miss a more active presence of Mr. Holmes, for decades the most respected rally news source, and believe that it’s fair to admit that Evans is now the main reference in that field, no matter how people judge his work. Anyway, Clark surely deserves credit for opening a new kind of rally comunication in the social media and there’s plenty of room and freedom for others to follow him.
    Call his style what you will, journalism or creator of speculation, but he clearly doesn’t actually understand the sport, the driving, what’s REALLY going on in the cars, in the drivers heads, on the stages.
    The guys a complete fraud.
    He’s happier talking about how good looking Mikkelsen is, rather than why the Citroen handles like a bag of shit etc.
    Honestly, can’t understand why people keep defending the guy.
    He literally sits at his keyboard and table and babbles as much crap as his energy reserves will allow him.
    As a person, I actually like him (believe it or not), but as someone who has responsibility reporting on rallying, he should be nowhere near it.
    Put it this way, if he had to transfer his level of understanding of rallying to premiership football, as a pundit, he wouldn’t even get close to local radio, never mind TV.
    I honestly can’t be arsed going over every prediction or thought that’s come out of his mouth since he has somehow gained a bit of momentum, but I reckon if I did, you could literally destroy everything he’s said.
    Bring back Mark James and with him a few facts, not this shit.

14. Likes: cali (8th December 2018),dimviii (7th December 2018),EstWRC (8th December 2018)
    Liked 296 Times in 135 Posts
    great to see open mind on this forum... bring back this, that was better back then, blabla. Sport is dying because of this, new generation will not be passionate if we keep talking on how much better was Group B, or that journalist knew so much on car handling it was great.

Come on guys, to attract new fans, sport needs to change. And kitchen table is one great way to capture more people, and it may not be as accurate as the dye hard fan would like it to be, but it's a great piece in my opinion.

16. Likes: AnttiL (7th December 2018),DocMS (8th December 2018),dodge33cymru (8th December 2018),er88 (8th December 2018),HaCo (8th December 2018),logic (9th December 2018),mknight (7th December 2018),racerx1979 (7th December 2018),the sniper (8th December 2018),TWRC (7th December 2018)
    Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spiderem View Post
    great to see open mind on this forum... bring back this, that was better back then, blabla. Sport is dying because of this, new generation will not be passionate if we keep talking on how much better was Group B, or that journalist knew so much on car handling it was great.

Come on guys, to attract new fans, sport needs to change. And kitchen table is one great way to capture more people, and it may not be as accurate as the dye hard fan would like it to be, but it's a great piece in my opinion.
    The sport is dying because there is a permanent knife edge in terms of manufacturer entries and it’s always in a ‘will they, won’t they’ stay state.
    Fair enough, unfair of me to compare Clarke to Mark James, it’s Desbrough I would have James replace in a shot. I just think that him and Clarke don’t actually ‘get’ the seriousness of the sport they are involved in.
    Call it nostalgia or whatever, but when Mark James commentated on the sport, he didn’t make it sound like some fun game, rather the serious spectacle it is.
    Maybe Clarke wouldn’t be so bad if he did a kitchen table once in a while, but he seems to do a new one every tome someone farts who’s got anything to do with the WRC and you can hardly call it forecasting or prediction when he literally has a stab at every possible combination of driver team.
    Some think this is the way forward in terms of communicating the sport, I honestly think there’s another, much less excitable, method that actually conveys the reality of what these men and women do when they are flat out in a forest.

18. Likes: AL14 (10th December 2018),cali (8th December 2018),dimviii (8th December 2018),RAS007 (9th December 2018)