Page 50 of 344 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast
    Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts
    Isn't it much better to simply create clear rules for chicanes? It does work in some countries like here in CZ if the rules are clear and written black on white. The shit going on in WRC is only a result of non-existing rules.[/QUOTE]

Define better... easier? cheaper? I'm not sure, once the technology is in place it will be either.

I do take your point regarding it potentially causing a problem because of current chicane location versus where any 'slow-zones' would be activated, but I'm hoping the guys running the show at this top level would be able to find a safe solution.

Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    Traditional chicanes: Haybale is cheap, it can be used everywhere and in addition to safety it gives you an element of competition, and demands skills.
    Virtual chicane: Some area in a pointless place, where there is no need to limit the power and speed of a current generation WRC, that was made faster than previous one...for some reason, causes pointless mess in the car, no skills needed, and can cause pointless timeloss. Adds to safety= 0.

3. Likes: WRC1 (22nd November 2018)
    Liked 1,884 Times in 737 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    So basically what I thougt, i.e. something You can hardly put in pacenotes (You know drivers in rally do drive on pacenotes), You need to watch some indication and You need to choose an area which is large enough to allow creation of slowing-down distance, i.e. it absolutely can not be used on all places where chicanes are placed now.
    Why can you not put it in the pacenotes?
    It's a fixed place probably marked with count down boards, a beginning and end with similar boards as the finish line ones so impossible to miss.
    And this takes no space as long as the car is straight coming into the area you can pretty much put it anywhere, with a hay balle chicane you need a wide enough road to do it, and often it destroys the road edges.
    Last edited by SubaruNorway; 21st November 2018 at 20:41.
    "Die with memories, not with dreams" Scott McIsaac
    http://www.motorsportfilmer.net

Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    If it is a road then there is room for a chicane, it could be tighter and slower, but for sure there is room. It could also be a barrel not a haybale or what ever-easy and light enough for one marshal to move back to its place.
    Last edited by Tarmop; 21st November 2018 at 20:42.

Liked 2,264 Times in 944 Posts
    I don't see that big problems with chicanes as they are now. The only problem I see is that a lot of them are rather useless (like the famous one in mexico). Just use a couple of haybales only in very long straights and put a couple of steward there that will quickly put them in place again in case someone hit them. I don't see any problem. Virtual chicanes to me seem just weird and ugly.

Liked 490 Times in 250 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AL14 View Post
    Just use a couple of haybales only in very long straights and put a couple of steward there that will quickly put them in place again
    Or a tractor...

That said, please not virtual chicanes; it looks daft enough when trials/regularities do it.
    aka Rodger Davies

8. Likes: sonnybobiche (24th November 2018)
    Liked 1,544 Times in 663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T16 View Post
    I do take your point regarding it potentially causing a problem because of current chicane location versus where any 'slow-zones' would be activated, but I'm hoping the guys running the show at this top level would be able to find a safe solution.
    They haven't found good solutions so far, what makes you think they will do it in the future? Quite naive to think top level is actually on a top thinking level...
    Last edited by cali; 22nd November 2018 at 06:41.

Liked 1,544 Times in 663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SubaruNorway View Post
    Why can you not put it in the pacenotes?
    It's a fixed place probably marked with count down boards, a beginning and end with similar boards as the finish line ones so impossible to miss.
    And this takes no space as long as the car is straight coming into the area you can pretty much put it anywhere, with a hay balle chicane you need a wide enough road to do it, and often it destroys the road edges.
    So excessive amount different boards and signals is cheaper than 4 haybales in one place?

Liked 12,211 Times in 5,243 Posts
    Am I the only one on this forum who thinks Ogier/Citroen is the force to reckon next season?

the car is awesome on tarmac (maybe even the best) and they have made big steps with it also on gravel. Of course there is still some work to do, especially when the conditions are slippery. Also, Loeb showed us on all 3 occasions that you can be fast with this car.

They may struggle a little in the beginning of the season but Ogier coming with his knowledge from VW and M-sport and Lappi with his knowledge from Toyota, i think they can sort the issues rather sooner than later.
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

12. Likes: cali (22nd November 2018),Marcco (22nd November 2018),WRC1 (22nd November 2018)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EstWRC View Post
    Am I the only one on this forum who thinks Ogier/Citroen is the force to reckon next season?
    I think it's Tänak/Toyota