Page 167 of 344 FirstFirst ... 67117157165166167168169177217267 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,670 of 3437
    Liked 306 Times in 158 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sonnybobiche View Post
    Exceptionally clean. They produce only energy and heat, and any byproduct is contained inside a relatively small casket that can be buried a mile underground after 30 years of generating power. It is the cleanest source of energy ever devised by man.

Edit: Tom Fowler (chief engineer at Toyota) comes from the Nuclear industry. Tom, if you're reading this, back me up!
    So why did France want to bury its waste in the Pacific region which is about as far away as one can get from France if everything is so safe. Its not clean and green yet.

By the way I think that nuclear power is the fuel for the future motor vehicle, it just that currently things are not quite as tidy as they should be
    Things happen for reasons, not excuses.

Liked 782 Times in 309 Posts
    Does that mean its time to finish off the cold fusion generator in my garage?

Liked 388 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Now with Sordo winning Street Stage Leon 2 (and Lappi and Mikkelsen also winning SS1 and SS2), all factory WRC drivers have won a stage in 2019.
    I for one appreciate your effort to try and divert this talk of boring electric rally car nonsense, but Tidemand?

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm75 View Post
    I for one appreciate your effort to try and divert this talk of boring electric rally car nonsense, but Tidemand?
    Can not consider him as a factory driver, just doing a couple of runs here and there

Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
    I read these guys put an new article out the other day.
    Sunfire - Euros - turning carbon dioxide into Blue crude. Germany/ Norway.
    https://youtu.be/v8FenSFTFdU

What do most consider an acceptable range for an electric car? Stockholm to Nice non stop? What % of the Euro population uses public transport to get to work, school etc?(of the everyday mobile population)
    Euro fast charging 450 kw, discussions about old electric networks becomes less important if you can get a few days electric car running in less than 10 minutes (are there cafe car charging stations)?
    https://youtu.be/a5Q4pic5feE

BMW - hydrogen (have to admire the Bavarian persistence with hydrogen.
    https://youtu.be/DFpxVCtMvB4

Boat stack/ rack (even NZ there are apartment buildings with no car parking spaces allocated to residents - traznsport choices - electric scooter, e-bike, bicycle (if allowed to keep in apartment room) otherwise off site car/ vehicle parking/ storage. like a boat stack and rack.
    https://youtu.be/jmedSc7Ky2M

New nuclear chemistries - there a number of developing nuclear techs from the old Oakridge lab experiments. Pebble bed, thorium, LFT - liquid fluoride thorium reactors, mini-small scale reactors etc. (conversion of current reactors to make them safer).

Liked 1,544 Times in 663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KKS View Post
    It's like with waste problem. If all keep waste near own houses - all city will be dirty. So decide one place will be dirty and all others - was clean. And electric cars can help with this. And BTW, electricity produced not 100% only by coal power plants. Here In Ukraine we have 53% of electricity produced by Nuclear power plants. So it even 'cheaper' for ecology.
    With a rest of your post - I totally agree.
    Does Chernobyl - Pripyat ring a bell?

Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    You can add Fukushima also...and tumours/cancer still occuring from the Chernobyl accident in other countries. Or the fact what the current battery technology actually means to earth. And well, any new car, considered to be "ecofriendly" is still a new car. Manufacturing has a big impact for the environment, since modern cars tend to be quite fragile and need constant maintenance (well, today they call changing the engine after 50k km or so "service") then i`m not so sure some 20 year old car is bad for the environment, especially when well maintained, it is quite ecofrienly also.
    Last edited by Tarmop; 10th March 2019 at 11:54.

Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    (...) But to clarify, I don't mean electric cars should be powered by diesel generators
    That’s a relief…

Btw, I’ve focused on current EV’s runing on polluant electricity sources but obvioulsy their whole life cycle must be considered to understand that the general public perception of EV’s as clean means of transport is a lie.

PS: those believing coal will soon be replaced as a power source should read this NY Times piece
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/24/c...l-warming.html
    Last edited by Rally Power; 10th March 2019 at 13:01.
    Rally addict since 1982

Liked 101 Times in 36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.T View Post
    so in a country where it bases its prosperity on oil and natural gas reserves, you buy electric garbage...

ironic.
    Agree it is ironic, but it's very clever on Norway's behalf.

For other countries who depend on oil imports, promoting electric vehicles should also be a no brainer. You can either have an internal combustion engined car that needs around 2000 litres of fuel a year imported from the Middle East which means currency leaving off-shore. Or you promote electric vehicles with tax subsides and make huge savings for your country's economy, while promoting green-house gases reduction. It's a win win.

Electric WRC will come, and the smart manufacturers will be there to promote their new eCars to the world. Including the Chinese manufacturers as they are ready to pounce on the new electric vehicle movement.

NOT, do you still buy film for your camera? Don't let the future pass you by!
    Last edited by Maui J.; 11th March 2019 at 07:33.

Liked 212 Times in 133 Posts

Without getting way too offtopic, I simply could not get used to an EV, I have tried but no way I am spending the amount of a new car in something which doesn't excite me in the slightest. I bet they will only conquer 100% market share when generations being born today start looking to buy cars.

But then whats the point?! It looks like in the future no one will drive, so it will be interesting to have the WRC running mobility pods with no steering wheels, with passengers doing nothing, that will be a delight to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Maui J. View Post
    NOT, do you still buy film for your camera? Don't let the future pass you by!
    Funnily enough younger generations have started to use film again, there has been an increase of so called photo "enthusiasts" which find the use of old film much more interesting.
    Last edited by Francis44; 11th March 2019 at 08:15.