Page 98 of 123 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108 ... LastLast
    Liked 491 Times in 266 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by krissucool View Post
    It is also objectively the most boring sport on earth where 99% of the game time nothing is happening.
    Fotbol is a virtual epileptic frenzy compared with American baseball. And relatively jumping compared to American (so called) Football..
    3.2 seconds average play followed by 1-10 minutes of standing around...

Canadian curling is action packed compared to the Merikuhn sports.
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Liked 1,229 Times in 720 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the sniper View Post
    Exactly. It's perception.

Funnily enough a couple of months ago I came across the document below while randomly looking up big companies that I thought theoretically could be involved in rallying. I came across this document from Telia (no doubt many of you are familiar with it, but it's a big phone services provider across Scandinavia and the Baltic states, prime rally country) where they particularly rule out motor sport sponsorship in their group marketing instructions:

From Page 4: https://www.teliacompany.com/globala...-donations.pdf

Look at the stuff motors sport joins on that list... This is why at least the upper level rallying going electric in some form is not a choice, it's an absolute necessity if the WRC in particular is going to continue to exist in a few years. Hopefully we can get away with just going down the hybrid route and retaining the ICE element, not going full electric.
    Well, those arguments from Telia just show their lack of understanding. In their eyes only motorsports has "significant negative environmental impacts"? RUBBISH!

If they said "we don´t like motorsports so we don´t sponsor it" I wouldn´t say anything. It´s their thing. But those arguments are not true. All sports does significant negative negative impact..
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

3. Likes: Rally Power (27th December 2018)
    Liked 337 Times in 170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the sniper View Post
    Exactly. It's perception.

Funnily enough a couple of months ago I came across the document below while randomly looking up big companies that I thought theoretically could be involved in rallying. I came across this document from Telia (no doubt many of you are familiar with it, but it's a big phone services provider across Scandinavia and the Baltic states, prime rally country) where they particularly rule out motor sport sponsorship in their group marketing instructions:

From Page 4: https://www.teliacompany.com/globala...-donations.pdf

Look at the stuff motors sport joins on that list... This is why at least the upper level rallying going electric in some form is not a choice, it's an absolute necessity if the WRC in particular is going to continue to exist in a few years. Hopefully we can get away with just going down the hybrid route and retaining the ICE element, not going full electric.
    all that means is they have a CEO or some other high executive who is not a motorsport fan.

al that needs to happen is for some good friend to take that CEO to some rally's, get them to like it and boom, telia wil sponsor motorsport.

5. Likes: Rally Power (27th December 2018),Rallyper (27th December 2018)
    Liked 6,640 Times in 2,746 Posts
    It wouldn't help anything to pretend that it's not an issue. It is a very real issue and the number of such companies is growing steadily. Add to that current imperfect situation of car industry. Previous years were perfect but 2018 sales already got into negative numbers - with few exceptions of course. It's likely that the situation will not get any better in 2019 or 2020 but we'll see.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

7. Likes: dodge33cymru (27th December 2018),Jarek Z (27th December 2018),the sniper (27th December 2018)
    I don´t think we are pretending it´s not an issue. But we are trying to argue why they are more or less wrong not supporting even motorsports.

Carsales have been up and down almost since they started selling cars. Racing with cars still is a very big sport.

Liked 6,640 Times in 2,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper View Post
    I don´t think we are pretending it´s not an issue. But we are trying to argue why they are more or less wrong not supporting even motorsports.
    That's quite a bold claim. I would not dare to say that.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    That's quite a bold claim. I would not dare to say that.
    I´m talking about this forums members.

Liked 1,624 Times in 826 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Andruet View Post
    Most European countries had already either completely banned or restricted the tobacco advertising coming into the new millennium. The EU directive for the complete ban came into effect in 2005.
    The number of big rally teams that we lost then is enormous - Marlboro, Camel, Rothmans, Bastos, Gitanes, 555, the list goes on... Motorsport sponsorship was actually the only good thing about cigarettes

http://www.rallymadness.prv.pl - rally photos and movies!

12. Likes: Allez Andruet (27th December 2018)
    Liked 427 Times in 197 Posts
    #WRC #DAKAR ** GAME CONTEST ** with PLANETEMARCUS : One question to win Peugeot 2008DKR Loeb Dakar 2016 ► http://bit.ly/2AifTe0

Liked 2,016 Times in 924 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    I agree the real reason why they are not joining is political. Just like VW exit was.
    For Skoda it's about 60% the money related to coming investments (and the PR/shareholders effect if they use large sums on WRC at same time). The rest is related to the current rules cycle coming to an end in 2-3? years. The new rules definitely need to include some hybridization else WRC ends like WRX did.
    The WRX is failing after the sudden annoucement of a switch to EV’s, just like Le Mans main category has turned into a joke (3 of 4 manus have pull out) due to the extreme costs of higth tec hybrid systems.

We’re still in WRC new rules first cycle (2017-19) and even if some insist the second cycle should be shortened (taking one year from the planned 2020-22), there’s no need to rush into EV’s or hybrids; what mostly mater is to avoid a disruption in the series that could make fans, manus and teams running off.

Btw, let’s not take the eco-political correctness too seriously; Nascar is probably one of the most pollutant motorsport series in the world, yet it’s by far the most popular one and an amazing sponsor’s magnet.
    Rally addict since 1982

15. Likes: Rally Hokkaido (27th December 2018)