Page 18 of 344 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast
    Liked 134 Times in 93 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dnb View Post
    But who's getting dropped when Kenya returns? And don't forget that FIA is led by French guy
    Probably Spain. They have no issues of dropping asphalt rallies.

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts

[WRC] News & Rumours 2019

Quote Originally Posted by ESTR View Post
    Probably Spain. They have no issues of dropping asphalt rallies.
    The last dropped rallies: Poland, China, Acropolis, New Zealand, Jordan...

If Japan, a tarmac rally, comes in, it’s only logical that another has to go.
    Last edited by AnttiL; 24th August 2018 at 17:36.

3. Likes: Allez Andruet (24th August 2018),pantealex (25th August 2018),steve.mandzij (24th August 2018)
    Liked 359 Times in 175 Posts
    Normally Rallye Deutschland never should be in question anyway. The vineyards stages and also Panzerplatte offer something unique. And it's not just the german round, it is for sure also the felt "home" wrc round for all those neighbouring countries like belgium, netherlands, austria, czech rep. etc. etc. Easy to reach in the heart of Europe. Not in a remote location like Corsica. With all the respect to the history, the corsica editions of the last years were a joke and clearly the most boring rallies of the year.

Fairly to say, the same remote location argument is also valid for Sardinia. The manufacturers already have mentioned more than once what they think about it. The new event in Turkey will probably offer very similar conditions and tv-images.

5. Likes: pantealex (25th August 2018),tomhlord (24th August 2018)
    Liked 43 Times in 25 Posts
    I'd personally like to see rotation of the rallies in the calendar again. Then we'd see new events like Canada, Chile, Croatia, Estonia. Maybe more as different countries see they have an opportunity. Can't be bad for the sport either.

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tc10a View Post
    Normally Rallye Deutschland never should be in question anyway. The vineyards stages and also Panzerplatte offer something unique. And it's not just the german round, it is for sure also the felt "home" wrc round for all those neighbouring countries like belgium, netherlands, austria, czech rep. etc. etc. Easy to reach in the heart of Europe. Not in a remote location like Corsica. With all the respect to the history, the corsica editions of the last years were a joke and clearly the most boring rallies of the year.

Fairly to say, the same remote location argument is also valid for Sardinia. The manufacturers already have mentioned more than once what they think about it. The new event in Turkey will probably offer very similar conditions and tv-images.
    Turkey is also a logistical challenge. Takes five days for teams to get there https://rallysportmag.com/are-wrc-te...-rally-turkey/

8. Likes: pantealex (25th August 2018),racerx1979 (24th August 2018)
    Liked 846 Times in 407 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    The last dropped rallies: Poland, China, Acropolis, New Zealand, Jordan...

If Japan, a tarmac rally, comes in, it’s only logical that another has to go.
    China is not at all possible to return, is it?

Liked 784 Times in 390 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve.mandzij View Post
    China is not at all possible to return, is it?
    They did the WRC dirty the last time around. I don't think they even want to bother.

Liked 199 Times in 118 Posts
    i would like to see Croatia in WRC for sure...

Liked 134 Times in 93 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Barreis View Post
    i would like to see Croatia in WRC for sure...
    I think that will never happen, now it's delayed for 2020, but with Kenya entering at that time I don't think that Cro have any chance of getting spot. Whoever puts more money into Ciesla's pocket that one wins..

13. Likes: GravelBen (25th August 2018),sonnybobiche (28th August 2018)
    Liked 12,209 Times in 5,242 Posts
    as i understand then Jouhki rarely gives public interviews, but one estonian reporter caught him in germany and i thought ill share it.

For example i didnt know that he tried to get Tänak and Neuville under his wing back in the day.

for the intro: "Every team is interested in Rovanpera but no one has made a good enough offer yet, or an offer that suits me. Next year he will still be in WRC2 althoug he would already quite nicely manage the WRC car. At the age of 20 he will be in the factory team"

You are the only manager that invests a lot of money on young talents?

"Not the only one but one of the few ones, I think Märtin is doing also the same."

Märtin stole Tänak right under your nose?

"Not really, i believed in Tänak and I had had some conversations with him. I was in the Pirelli Star Driver jury back in 2009 and i put Tänak number one. I rarely work with other guys from other nations, i cant get close enough of them to see their level. Tänak was an exception - I saw right away that he would do big things - and Neuville but i couldnt get either of them. I was offering a deal for Ott but somehow things went wrong. He and Markko decided to follow their own road. Neuville came on the market when I was really busy with Hirvonen and Latvala and i had no time to deal with him."

We have heard that you have quite a big team helping you?

"Yes, Im taking the raw talent and making him a professional rally driver. Im helped by media people, engineers and technicians who are teaching the drivers. Also former co-drivers who are helping them with notes."

It seems there are only very good drivers coming under from your wing, have some of the drivers failed?

"Yes, one time. Then I didnt do psychological tests for them, he wasnt very strong from the mental side but he was very fast, but crashed a lot."

Tänak also crashed a lot back in the day, everyone does in the beginning

"I havent done psychological tests on Ott, so I dont know what was the reason for the crashes. He has always been very fast and was actually driving quite confidently in the beginning. The mistakes started coming when he jumped into the WRC car. I think he put huge pressure on himself, he wanted to deliver very quickly."

So before you choose the driver you are following his driving and mental side very closely?

"The groundwork is huge. In the beginning of millenium I was checking over 10 young finnish drivers, I turned down half of them. I continued with the five that was left, In the end I did a group test for them to see their speed and mental strength in hard situations. In the end from these five, I chose Hirvonen and Latvala."

Both havent been world champions. Why? Because both have had Sebastiens ahead of them?

"Latvala is let down by his mental side, he puts so much pressure on himself and he cant cope with it, and this is when he makes the mistakes. Hirvonen was left without a title because of WIlson. M-sport didnt use team tactics back in the day like Citroen did for Loeb. If Wilson had told to Latvala to let Hivonen pass in Rally Sardinia, then Hirvonen would have been the champ."

Management job is also a business, you invest in the driver a lot in the beginning and later you take half of his earnings?

"Yes, if the drivers finally go into factory team, if not, then all of my money is wasted. But yes, it is true that Ill take like 50% of their earnings. Its just how this business works. And Im actually very kind guy, I know that some take even more! It all depens how much I have invested in the driver and how much time it takes for him to reach the factory team."

If we look how much rallies Rovanpera is already racing, it is quite impressive already

"God has made him to race, I already had an eye on him when he was eight. The difference with other drivers and Rovanpera is that I work with him on every aspect: he is being teached how to setup and develop the car, how to write notes, when to push or not. My idea is that you have to test a lot. Where do you think athletes develop the most, on trainings or at grand prix? If you look then racing drivers also do more kilometres on free practice and on tests. Why should rallying be different?"

Mäkinen is recently wondering how there have been coming so many young talented finns through

"Talented drivers are everywhere, France, Spain and GB but another thing is how to develop them, you have to know how do to this job."

If someone calls you and says he is a very fast and talented guy and asks your help, what do you answer?

"There are a lot of calls all the time, but the truth is I choose with who I work."

Will Tänak be a champion one day, or are Ogier and Neuville too tough for him?

"No they arent tough, Tänak is at the moment and quite often beating them. If he hadnt had those car problems, he would be leading. He has been basically the fastest on every rally, has the most stage wins. Why cant he be champ this year? He is driving very cleanly, he hasnt made a single big mistake."

We are talking here about Rovanpera, but we have also have Tidemand who has been WRC2 champ but cant get into factory team

"Tidemand is a very good driver, very fast but he has a very poor management. But if we look at the current market then maybe he will get his chance next year."

But there arent many drivers who could win world championship, Sordo and Evans are nice guys but...

"They will never be champions. There are never too many guys who can fight for the title but teams also need good second and third drivers."
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

15. Likes: Allez Andruet (25th August 2018),Andre Oliveira (25th August 2018),AnttiL (25th August 2018),cali (25th August 2018),dimviii (25th August 2018),eib1 (26th August 2018),er88 (27th August 2018),Essaj (25th August 2018),HaCo (25th August 2018),pantealex (25th August 2018),peter_85 (25th August 2018),Rally Hokkaido (26th August 2018),Rally Power (25th August 2018),seb_sh (25th August 2018),sindroms (28th August 2018),sonnybobiche (28th August 2018),tommeke_B (28th August 2018),TWRC (26th August 2018)