Page 6 of 344 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast
    Liked 148 Times in 42 Posts
    Double negative equals positive, he must be leaving then Like I said, Ott too gave out answers like this before his move, so I really don't know what to think.

It's quite interesting situation in Toyota at the moment after the rumor that someone is definitely going to leave. I don't however see a reason for Lappi to leave. Only reason I could think of is if he's offered a multi-year contract in some team where he can fully develop a car around him (like Ogier in VW and now M-Sport, Thierry in Hyundai, Ott in M-Sport and now Toyota..). However, can't he do that in Toyota? I have no technical understanding on the regulations or the costs of developing the car, but would it be impossible to develop the Yaris in two different directions (if it's even needed)? Surely he's not feeling the pressure of being the second car, as he's currently not challenging Ott, and he's the first one to admit he's still learning. Why break concentration of learning with the move to completely unknown...

Latvala, on the other hand, has proven he's capable of great results if he's not under pressure from his teammates, so move to Citroën/M-Sport would make sense. My current conspiracy theory is that Latvala is once again waiting for Ogier's decision, to take the spot he leaves open. If Ogier stays in M-Sport, he'll go to lead Citroën, if Ogier moves to Citroën, he'll take his place in M-Sport (Evans and Suninen are clearly no threat to him, except for Suninen perhaps..).

2. Likes: pantealex (20th August 2018)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tr4m View Post
    It's quite interesting situation in Toyota at the moment after the rumor that someone is definitely going to leave. I don't however see a reason for Lappi to leave.
    Because Toyota needs someone else to step in and the Japanese people like Latvala?

Liked 148 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Because Toyota needs someone else to step in and the Japanese people like Latvala?
    Who? Only one I can think of is Ogier (which is another topic all together), as there is no one really available with the potential Lappi has. I don't think that Japanese would compromise their potential manufactures championship possibilities by pushing in their Japanese drivers clearly too early or by inviting in someone capable of challenging for the wins (Meeke). Although, Tänak-Lappi-Meeke would be fun to watch.

5. Likes: pantealex (20th August 2018)
    Liked 359 Times in 191 Posts
    This is shaping up to be a weird silly season.

For me, there are only three drivers that could win any rally on pure pace alone, excluding other retirements and road position: Tanak, Ogier, Neuville.

They are all the clear number one driver in their respective teams.

Everyone else is in a supporting role, whether they know it or not. Citroen is lost without a clear number one. Ostberg did amazingly in Finland, average in Sweden, Portugal and Italy, rubbish in Germany.

The French team holds the key. If they sign a driver from another team, then the driver market could be full of surprises — with so many drivers out of contract. If they stay as they are, then I could see no major changes to the line-ups at all and a dull winter.

7. Likes: pantealex (20th August 2018)
    Liked 352 Times in 208 Posts
    Citroën want Ogier AND Sordo!?
    GG: "I'm stinky! I needa good shower and nice bowl of pasta!"

Liked 352 Times in 208 Posts
    GG: "I'm stinky! I needa good shower and nice bowl of pasta!"

10. Likes: AnttiL (20th August 2018)
    Liked 784 Times in 390 Posts
    As I said before. Sordo will do a full season if offered. I think there is a ghe will go to Citroen regardless of what Seb does. This allows Hyundai to bring in Paddon who has a good relationship with Hyundai NZ.

As I said before. Sordo will do a full season if offered. I think there is a good chance he will go to Citroen regardless of what Seb does. This allows Hyundai to bring in Paddon who has a good relationship with Hyundai NZ.

Toyota will keep their current squad unless they get Ogier. Tanak is not scared of Ogier being on the team and is actually completely okay with it besides what many are saying. He apparently has a good relationship with Seb.

If they get Seb, JML might move to Ford or Citroen. Citroen will be JML, Sordo and Breen unless Loeb agrees to a full season or they manage to get Ogier. I honestly think they would boot both Breen and Ostberg for JML, Sordo and one of the Sebs.

We will not hear any Toyota moves until after Turkey.
    Last edited by racerx1979; 20th August 2018 at 16:06.

13. Likes: pantealex (20th August 2018)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Having Ogier and Sordo, and maybe even Loeb at Citroen...good times

Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Having Ogier and Sordo, and maybe even Loeb at Citroen...good times
    That’s true. It’s a silly season once again. I think if Toyota dominates at Turkey it will change things for drivers. Especially Ogier who is no longer interested in big money and wants more freedom. Location wise Citroen is great for him as long as they have a competitive car. I would hold off until after Spain if I were Ogier. Loeb would be a good guide to see how the Citroen really fairs. Breen and Ostberg unfortunately are not the best way to gauge a cars performance. Maybe Ostberg/Breen will be competing for Podium in Turkey which will bring them up a notch

16. Likes: pantealex (20th August 2018)