Page 322 of 344 FirstFirst ... 222272312320321322323324332 ... LastLast
Results 3,211 to 3,220 of 3437
    Liked 1,995 Times in 793 Posts
    https://www.is.fi/ralli/art-2000006269210.html

Timo Jouhki saying it's basically "Toyota or nothing" for Latvala. It can be read that Wilson doesn't want Latvala back at M-Sport, though it's always possible to get a Fiesta WRC with proper backing. Sounds like Jouhki doesn't want do that (to fund JML's driving) anymore (my interpretation).
    ku ois neljä pyörää ku vetäis ni ois vähän eri sekunnit kyllä pätkillä, sen mä takaan

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Another thing that Jouhki says is that Rovanperä's next year deal is announced between Catalunya and Australia.

They also talk about Latvala becoming Toyota's test driver. I don't see that happening, because they have Hänninen who can use the guest driver quota.

Liked 9,347 Times in 4,964 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dimviii View Post
    A true rally legend and one of my heroes from when I started driving my first hot-hatchback, a Renault 11 Turbo.

Watching him compete on tarmac in a fwd hatch against the Integrales, Cosworths & BMW M3's was amazing.

Liked 839 Times in 406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Andruet View Post

Timo Jouhki saying it's basically "Toyota or nothing" for Latvala. It can be read that Wilson doesn't want Latvala back at M-Sport, though it's always possible to get a Fiesta WRC with proper backing. Sounds like Jouhki doesn't want do that (to fund JML's driving) anymore (my interpretation).
    It'd be very unfortunate and borderline disgraceful for Latvala's career to end off so abruptly and unceremoniously

Liked 2,836 Times in 1,610 Posts

I don´t think he is funding Latvala since many many years. He had brought home his investments on JML, ROI, since late 00´I strongly believe. He would collect his share also if Latvala goes to Ford. He won´t be for free.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Right, as long as the team is given the green light from the manufacturer, they must ensure they can continue working, and that includes contracts with drivers on the following season. Meanwhile, the manufacturer can pull the plug whenever they want. But I would still assume Hyundai has given them strong green light to start planning 2020.
    +1. More than the risk of a short term pull-out, failing this year manus title may be decisive for Hyundai long term WRC commitment; they can always run the current car and drivers one season more but avoid to start the 2022 car development, having in mind a future series switch. Let's hope not.
    Rally addict since 1982

Liked 3,791 Times in 1,979 Posts

Two points:

- Wilson "doesn't want" Latvala (thought it's not clear to me if Joukhi says that or the authors of the article claim that)
    - He says the place held by Mikkelsen "can go to just about anyone", yet at start he says Toyota or nothing? So just about anyone but not Latvala?

Liked 2,241 Times in 1,199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve.mandzij View Post
    It'd be very unfortunate and borderline disgraceful for Latvala's career to end off so abruptly and unceremoniously
    I have nothing against him because he seems a nice guy but some might say he has been quite lucky to have had such a long and unbroken career in WRC already.

Personally think he probably has a year or two left in him but choosing when one’s career in motorsport ends is a bit of a luxury.

Liked 2,275 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Not sure what the facts/ numbers are in terms of numbers of full seasons by every driver currently in the wrc (and the likes of Breen/ Paddon/ Ostberg), but Jari has without a doubt had more full seasons than anyone.

The problem is we are in an era where the driver pool needs/deserves an extra manufacturer. Kalle, Paddon, Ostberg, Breen arguably all deserve seats in the top class, but you could say so do drivers like Latvala who are still well ahead of the next tier down like Tidemand/ Greensmith etc.

10. Likes: RS (12th October 2019),steve.mandzij (11th October 2019)
    Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts
    Not WRC, but the Mull rally have some decent coverage on their Facebook page. They have another couple of stages to go this evening.
    Mainly stage end and service park interviews with Colin Clarke and David Evans, but it’s worth a watch.