Page 115 of 344 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117125165215 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,150 of 3437
    Liked 2,832 Times in 1,606 Posts
    Growth also has to do with cost/benefitial matters.

So I do believe costs has to be overhauled.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 2,264 Times in 944 Posts
    I think that it is ok to try to reach new countries and public outside Europe but only if it shows growing opportunities. If after 10 years your entry list is 27 crews and in the stages there are more marshall than spectators then maybe that country is not a good choice no matter where it is.

3. Likes: EstWRC (14th January 2019),Jarek Z (14th January 2019),pantealex (14th January 2019)
    Liked 480 Times in 207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the sniper View Post
    It's in that article and the writer had spoke to Ciesla. Seems too random to be made up or just incorrect. I was hoping someone from Greece could provide more info!
    I will try to find some news about it but I am a bit sceptical.

5. Likes: the sniper (14th January 2019)
    Liked 16,087 Times in 6,980 Posts

Liked 490 Times in 250 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dimviii View Post
    Makes sense, he's a Toyota contracted driver who likes having fun in other disciplines. I could imagine him giving it a go.
    aka Rodger Davies

8. Likes: pantealex (14th January 2019)
    Liked 1,472 Times in 572 Posts
    It's only a test... for now.
    Would be curious to see him at the wheel though

10. Likes: dimviii (14th January 2019),pantealex (14th January 2019),the sniper (14th January 2019)
    Liked 44 Times in 29 Posts
    I wish FIA would think even remotely in the same way as they seem to think in darts:

“We choose our growth territories quite carefully, based on a number of factors,” he explains. “One is the amount of darts played in that country – does the general public have a base knowledge of what darts is, what a dartboard looks like, that you have to throw three darts at it. I know that sounds very basic but it is something of a prerequisite.

“The second thing is whether we feel that a sport culturally works there and the third thing is do we achieve any TV exposure there, which is our biggest advert for the product.

“The key thing under our expansion is that we go into the right places at the right time. We don’t just go into a country just for the sake of going into a country. We haven’t got a burning desire to have tournaments in 200 countries around the world.
    http://www.sportspromedia.com/quick_...gerwen-feature

12. Likes: AndyRAC (14th January 2019),Jarek Z (14th January 2019)
    Liked 1,244 Times in 676 Posts
    All sports want to grow and to be a true 'global' sport - that's normal. However, you have to be sensible in achieving that. Just going to the highest bidder is a recipe for disaster. Ideally, there will already be a decent local/national series, with interest from the local media, importers, etc

The sport of rallying, however, isn't a particularly big sport - and can it really achieve substantial and long lasting growth? We've had 16 rounds before - and it was massively expensive.
    I'd prefer them to 'cut their cloth accordingly' - and improve current events to sell the sport more. I'm not convinced, despite all the backslapping, that we're seeing that.

Also, one of the biggest markets is proving to be a 'hard sell' for the sport; the USA. MotoGP, WEC, and F1 all have rounds there....but the WRC doesn't look it's any nearer to achieving this.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

14. Likes: Jarek Z (14th January 2019),PLuto (15th January 2019),Rally Power (16th January 2019)
    Liked 3,289 Times in 1,731 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC View Post
    Also, one of the biggest markets is proving to be a 'hard sell' for the sport; the USA. MotoGP, WEC, and F1 all have rounds there....but the WRC doesn't look it's any nearer to achieving this.
    In its best years rallysport has never needed USA, has it?
    http://www.rallymadness.prv.pl - rally photos and movies!

16. Likes: sonnybobiche (16th January 2019),WRC1 (15th January 2019)
    Visionary
    Liked 167 Times in 69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    As someone from outside Europe, I think it would be a good thing for the WRC to be less Eurocentric. Its supposed to be a world championship after all, but WRC seems to be quite controlled by European interests (whether financially or socially via the 'old boys club') so the rest of the world doesn't get that much of a look in.
    World rallying is "Eurocentric" because that is where the teams are based, it's where the interest is and, as NOT correctly stated, it's a European sport and has always been so. A competition doesn't have to travel the world to qualify as a World Championship.
    In times past staging events in vastly differing countries added interest to the contest as each production was part sport and part geographical documentary. But today, with events being of a sprint nature, each with a handful of repeated stages, they all look the same. You could probably run the entire series in one country and the viewing public would not notice ... or care.
    And there are benefits in doing so.
    Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to a paramedic.

18. Likes: Jarek Z (15th January 2019)