Page 169 of 344 FirstFirst ... 69119159167168169170171179219269 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,690 of 3437
    Liked 12,161 Times in 5,215 Posts
    You can’t take popularity based on comments.
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

2. Likes: pantealex (12th March 2019)
    Liked 2,264 Times in 944 Posts
    I could be very wrong, but it's not about being a niche or not, I think that other than the "sound" there will not be the cultural background for shaping the rally as it is now and as it has been the decades before.
    There is no more symbol of the car as the freedom of the individual, the car will not represent anymore your status in the society, there will not be the masculine culture around it. Sounds and performance of actual engine fits perfect with that rapresentations, electric cars and automatic cars don't. This is why in my opinion there will be some huge change.

(Regarding rally as the second motorsport, they were referring to the car motorsports and not in general, so motogp is not taken into consideration. It sounded a little weird to me that Nascar and all those american things were behind WRC in terms of popularity but maybe they are more confined into US borders than WRC into European/Oceania).

Liked 3,776 Times in 1,679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm75 View Post
    Citroen like to pull out of wrc every so often and concentrate on other Motorsport. Citroen is french, we've had a French world champion for the last 15 years.

You only have to look at any Motorsport website with a forum or comments section to see wrc is well down the order. Take crash.net for instance, wrc nowadays gets no comments whatsoever, and their journos can't even be bothered to write stories until they are about a week old anymore.
    This site seems to be the exception where it comes to the amount of interest and comments rallying generates
    I font know how reliable is to use crash.net as example here. As a fan of rallysport I am not following that site because there is almost no information about rallysport. So when I am not following circuit racing, there is no sense for me to visit that page.

5. Likes: AnttiL (11th March 2019),Mirek (11th March 2019),pantealex (12th March 2019)
    Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EstWRC View Post
    You can’t take popularity based on comments.
    And especially from a website which is basically useless for WRC fans.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

7. Likes: EstWRC (11th March 2019),pantealex (12th March 2019),Rallyper (11th March 2019)
    Liked 388 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PLuto View Post
    I font know how reliable is to use crash.net as example here. As a fan of rallysport I am not following that site because there is almost no information about rallysport. So when I am not following circuit racing, there is no sense for me to visit that page.
    I completely agree, that website is shite for any rally related news nowadays. It used to be better, and people used to comment on the stories, but literally no one bothers any more.

As for whether it's relevant if people are talking about a sport as to how popular it is, of course it is.
    Ok, maybe crash is a bad example, but I'm willing to bet that other Motorsport websites that cover all bases see more traffic and attract more popularity than rallying.

Please don't confuse my comments as an attack on rallying, I'm a fan of a wide range of Motorsport, but the two forms of Motorsport don't want to miss watching are rallying and MotoGP. In my view two of the most exciting forms of Motorsport that exist.
    But I am not that blinkered to realise there are other forms of Motorsport that are more popular and attract more attention.

9. Likes: AndyRAC (12th March 2019)
    Liked 1,115 Times in 596 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    That however means that Motorsport with combustion engines as known today will disappear because it will no longer involve manufacturers and since it won't be used as a marketing tool anymore it will also loose majority of its public followers. It will become a small sport for enthusiast instead.
    does horse sports involve manufacturers? does football?

we don't need manufacturers for motorsport. we never needed them for anything else than their big budgets.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.T View Post
    lol... motogp, nascar, indycar anyone ?
    i don't know about motogp, but i think none of the other motorsports besides f1 is bigger globally than wrc. outside the usa nobody cares about people going fast and turning to the left.

Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post
    does horse sports involve manufacturers? does football?

we don't need manufacturers for motorsport. we never needed them for anything else than their big budgets.

i don't know about motogp, but i think none of the other motorsports besides f1 is bigger globally than wrc. outside the usa nobody cares about people going fast and turning to the left.
    I wouldn't bet on it. With the likes of Alonso doing indy it is becoming more popular, but is already huge.

Put it this way, last year when BT sport wasn't showing allive I got fed up the amount of times I had recorded the rallying, or switched on to watch the rallying and it had been bumped off the schedule for indycar, or NASCAR to be shown instead. Even baseball was getting preferential treatment instead of rallying, so what does that tell you?

Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    I completely agree, that website is shite for any rally related news nowadays. It used to be better, and people used to comment on the stories, but literally no one bothers any more.

As for whether it's relevant if people are talking about a sport as to how popular it is, of course it is.
    Ok, maybe crash is a bad example, but I'm willing to bet that other Motorsport websites that cover all bases see more traffic and attract more popularity than rallying.

Please don't confuse my comments as an attack on rallying, I'm a fan of a wide range of Motorsport, but the two forms of Motorsport don't want to miss watching are rallying and MotoGP. In my view two of the most exciting forms of Motorsport that exist.
    But I am not that blinkered to realise there are other forms of Motorsport that are more popular and attract more attention.
    To take one site be it whatever one is very misleading. Take for example this very forum. The F1 section has 1/3 less posts than WRC section and less than 1/2 of the rallying section. Does that meant that F1 is less popular than rallying? Of course not but it means that the rally community on the motorsportforums.com is larger than the F1 one.

And the WRC section has 1000x more posts than the Formula-E here...

Regarding Moto-GP it again depends on the region. Here in CZ I would say it's about as popular as rallying. Even the two biggest events - Brno Moto GP and ERC Barum Rally has basically same number of spectators (but the percentage of foreign spectators is much higer at Moto GP than in Zlín).
    Last edited by Mirek; 11th March 2019 at 22:08.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

13. Likes: pantealex (12th March 2019)
    Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Citroen like to pull out of wrc every so often and concentrate on other Motorsport. Citroen is french, we've had a French world champion for the last 15 years.
    You only have to look at any Motorsport website with a forum or comments section to see wrc is well down the order. Take crash.net for instance, wrc nowadays gets no comments whatsoever, and their journos can't even be bothered to write stories until they are about a week old anymore.
    This site seems to be the exception where it comes to the amount of interest and comments rallying generates
    Citroen was only mentioning the FIA Series and in those the WRC is actually the most popular, after F1.

Once we're living on a social media era, why not take the 'likes' or 'followers' numbers that each motorsport series has on their official pages? It's quite easy to check and probably more reliable than looking at forum comments. Here's Facebook 'likes' list:

Moto GP: 13 267 636;
    F1: 7 396 496;
    Nascar: 5 104 832;
    MXGP (Motocross): 2 689 854;
    WRC: 2 611 603;
    Dakar: 2 107 559 ;
    RB Air Race: 1 915 938;
    Formula E: 1 490 641;
    Superbikes: 1 337 246;
    WTCR: 1 004 277;
    Indycar: 884 876;
    DTM: 649 950;
    WRX: 544 040;
    Blancpain GT Series: 379 462;
    WEC: 307 984;
    ERC: 280 063;
    IMSA: 172 340.

Under 100k series aren’t listed but for sure some others with more than that are missing. Btw, WEC numbers are slim as most fans follow the 24h Le Mans page: 1 282 841.

The overall order is probably the same on the other social media, but it'd be nice if someone could also look on Twitter, Instagram or Youtube.

Maybe that way we'll finnaly believe that the WRC is actually popular and far from being a niche series, like some continue to pretend.
    Rally addict since 1982

15. Likes: AL14 (11th March 2019),Allez Andruet (14th March 2019),AnttiL (11th March 2019),MartijnS (11th March 2019),pantealex (12th March 2019),Rally Hokkaido (11th March 2019),Rallyper (12th March 2019),T16 (11th March 2019),the sniper (11th March 2019),TWRC (12th March 2019)
    Of course Mirek, and totally depends how many nationals are competing in each series that counts towards how popular any given sport is in that country.

Czech only have Abraham in MotoGP, so the interest in that country would be less than say Spain or Italy where MotoGP would far outway rallying in popularity.

I did say that this website is an exception to the rule regarding rallying popularity and the amount of posts, as it seems the only website where many contributers pull together and post their resources of information so can easily be accessed on the one site.

I think as a whole though if you were to look at all other websites combined, speedweek, motorsport.com autosport and the other nationalities Motorsport websites then WRC probably isn't the second most popular Motorsport series.
    I think it's relevant to look at website posts as it is a world wide resource and not just country specific.

17. Likes: AndyRAC (12th March 2019),RS (16th March 2019)