Page 2 of 181 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
    Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    I think Finland 2017 had already the Yaris
    Toyota is/was official car of Rally Finland...
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

Liked 490 Times in 250 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    No, their press release said they already have customers in Sweden.
    That's what I said! Or what I meant anyway...

Is there any ticketing for MC or is spectating free?
    aka Rodger Davies

Liked 414 Times in 101 Posts
    MC is entirely free

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I am thinking of going to monte myself for the first time. As anyone any suggestions for accommodation or can you sleep in the hire car/van on the stages. I’ve looked at accommodation around gap and nothing is coming in at a reasonable price for two people.
    Also any advice on car hire, will I need snow chains?
    Thanks

Liked 1,176 Times in 389 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MOSSY View Post
    I am thinking of going to monte myself for the first time. As anyone any suggestions for accommodation or can you sleep in the hire car/van on the stages. I’ve looked at accommodation around gap and nothing is coming in at a reasonable price for two people.
    Also any advice on car hire, will I need snow chains?
    Thanks
    Sleeping in the car might be problematic, all depends on weather. Snow chains - it's a must, as weather can change rapidly and you can have over 10cms of fresh snow suddenly on some stages.
    With accommodation around Gap it's not easy and like you already noticed almost never cheap.

Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    I don't know if it's still like that because it's been already quite some time since my last visit but it used to be quite difficult to find a rental car with proper winter tyres on the southern coast.

Anyway the most important thing about Monte Carlo is to understand that getting to the stage might be very very difficult sometimes. There are few roads in the mountains and a fuckton of cars going to the stages can easily block them especially in bad weather (once we had to skip one stage even due to an avalanche). The mountain roads are very slow to move on even when empty and the liasons are long. Monte Carlo is pretty difficult event for spectators even when it's free of charge. You won't sleep much during the event - that's sure.

I would consider sleeping in the car only with motorhome with proper heating (even when motorhome is not the easiest car to move around in the winter mountains). There might not be that spectacular low temperatures but the winter near the coast is humid and that feels cold as hell sometimes even when it's just bellow zero. Don't underestimate clothes and be prepared also for rain! Rain at temperatures around zero degrees can ruin Your day if You're not prepared.

And a last hint... the trickiest place ever can be also the most boring place! Don't forget that drivers usually don't fit tyres based on occasional extreme spots but the majority of the loop conditions. So if You choose an icy downhill spot on otherwise dry route You may end pretty disappointed by everyone taking it with walking speed except few crazy guys from the back of the field who will crash there.

Despite all the difficulties I have always loved the event and its special atmosphere of the legendary classic season opener.
    Last edited by Mirek; 14th November 2018 at 21:59.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

7. Likes: Eli (21st November 2018),Hartusvuori (15th November 2018),NickRally (17th November 2018),sindroms (15th November 2018),the sniper (15th November 2018),TWRC (15th November 2018),WRC1 (14th November 2018)
    Liked 3,776 Times in 1,679 Posts
    I can highly recommend to use helicopter for watching stages on Monte. I have tried it once and after that I told that I dont want to watch Monte in different way

9. Likes: MentalParadox (17th November 2018),pantealex (15th November 2018)
    Liked 41 Times in 11 Posts
    I have been in Monte three times now: 2016, 2017, 2018. Like already said, it is not the easiest rally to spectate, but the atmosphere is somehow special. My sons (9 and 12 years now) want to go there every year just because of that. Also, it is the season opener and therefore somehow extra exciting. We live some 600 km from Gap and first year we left home Friday evening and slept some hours in a car on the stage. It was almost -10 degrees and chilly but somehow doable since we had proper gear, haven't tried after that though. Other years we have had hotels and b&b's somewhere quite near or in Gap, although in 2017 had to stay quite far way in Barcelonnette (about 65 km and more than 1 hour from service park). Roads are slow and especially on Saturday some places get crowded. Last year we were spectating in village of Ancelle, easy access but a lot of spectators and had to walk quite a long way. I have winter tyres in my car and wouldn't try without. I also have snow chains in boot just in case, but never needed them. Careful planning is essential and it is good to check also altitude of the spot you want to reach, higher altitude means in many cases smaller roads and of course more probability for snow and low temperatures. And yes, the weather is very tricky and can change many times during an hour and depending on altitude as well. It is good to have proper gear. There are also spots with easy access, but better to plan properly and not to make too tight schedule. Have fun!

11. Likes: Eli (21st November 2018),gorganl2000 (15th November 2018),Hartusvuori (15th November 2018),MentalParadox (17th November 2018),Simmi (16th November 2018)
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Thanks guys
    I see sixt advertise there cars with winter tyres in France.
    I have actually looked at hiring a small van
    By the sounds of things it may be more beneficial to get to the stages the night before due to the traffic.

13. Likes: WRC1 (15th November 2018)
    Liked 97 Times in 46 Posts
    Couldn't find the date when registrations are closed?