Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast
    MJW

Young talented drivers

With the announcement of Camilli joining Toyota's junior programme and Lefebrve's links with Red Bull and Loeb plus Chardonnets connections with Citroen and Daniel Elena there must be forum members who have followed their careers to date. Simple question, who is best?

Liked 3,776 Times in 1,679 Posts
    From the names you have mentioned, I am sure that the best is still Loeb

3. Likes: andyone (9th February 2015),dodge33cymru (30th January 2015),Fly (30th January 2015),Jef Pauly (15th February 2015),pantealex (3rd February 2015),WRC1 (30th January 2015),WUff1 (31st January 2015)
    친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Are you trying to give the manager nation a heart attack ? Throw a finish person in there for good measure...

Show some compassion damn you !!!!

None of the mentioned has been tested properly to draw conclusions.

5. Likes: Rallyper (30th January 2015)
    MJW
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.T View Post
    Are you trying to give the manager nation a heart attack ? Throw a finish person in there for good measure...

Show some compassion damn you !!!!

None of the mentioned has been tested properly to draw conclusions.
    No I meant when in their domestic championships and rallies to date, who has the spark or potential or fastest of those three?

Liked 3,476 Times in 1,016 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MJW View Post
    Simple question, who is best?
    Easy, it's Camilli... Now serious, I've seen all 3 drivers several times, on both national and international level.

Sébastien Chardonnet is the driver with lowest potential in my opinion. I've seen him in the French DS3 Trophy in 2012. He wasn't the fastest back then, clearly beaten by drivers like Arzeno and Gilbert. Also his outings with a WRC car and his WRC2 program last year were hardly impressive... He can be fast on tarmac, but I don't believe he will ever be a driver who can fight for top positions on every surface.

Stéphane Lefebvre is a guy from Northern France (like François Delecour). In the Peugeot Volant (207 and 208) he proved worthy against more experienced drivers like Jeremy Ancian and Kevin Abbring. Last year he had a crazy programme with JERC and JWRC, which he won both (although we can question the competition level). Now it looks like he needs some time to adapt to his new codriver and his new R5-car. He has very little 4WD experience, so we'll have to wait and see... This year he gets a great opportunity again, he will probably do all WRC events this year. Also keep an eye on him in his home-event in Ypres this year, he will participate with a 208 R5.

Eric Camilli, in my opinion the most talented driver. He only "really" started driving in 2013 in the French DS3 R1-trophy, and proved to be the best there. Last year he did the Peugeot 208 volant. He was often in a battle with Charles Martin (who was already doing his 2nd year in the 208 trophy and had some official support), he didn't have much problems to match his pace. Also interesting there (I did 3 events of the French gravel championship last year) was how different Camilli and Martin were in terms of driving. Charles Martin was all over the place everywhere, extremely spectacular to see. But Camilli managed to get the same stage-times with a very clean style of driving, very "loeb-ish". Then Camilli set faster stage-times than Lefebvre in Rallye Deutschland, and also his pace in Corsica (with an "old" 207 S2000) proves what he is worth. Also in last Monte-Carlo Camilli could set faster stage-times than Lefebvre, even while Lefebvre was in a great battle with Martin Koci for the WRC2 victory...

But France has many more talented drivers, too many to name really. Just giving some example of how harsh the competition there is. We were at Rallye Terre de Causses last year, first event of the French gravel championship and also first event of the 208 cup. The first stage was very short, only 6,5km. But the difference between 1st and 7th overall was less than 1,5s! On some stage of over 20km the difference between first 7 was something like 4,5s... There you can't say "I'm driving to gain experience". The only way to be seen by manufacturers or FFSA is by being at least as fast as the quickest guys.

8. Likes: andyone (9th February 2015),dimviii (30th January 2015),Hartusvuori (1st February 2015),leighton323 (1st February 2015),Mihai (31st January 2015),Mirek (30th January 2015),mousti (30th January 2015),Simmi (31st January 2015),vino_93 (31st January 2015)
    Liked 94 Times in 58 Posts
    Lefevbre is fastest right now. Chardonnet most experienced but rate him a bit lower, he has to prove himself this year, did not convince me in Monte with (old) WRC car. Camilli is very quick but hasn't gone though carreer stages as the other two in other words don't know he delivers under pressure of people watching him who are investing money in him.

MJW
    Thanks - I thought I had read somewhere about Camilli beating Lefebrve, and it's true what you say about competition in France.

Liked 2,834 Times in 1,608 Posts
    Throw in 10 nordic drivers and they will all be outpacing all of these three guys. Why don´t we talk about more coming guys than three musketeers...?
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Maybe because all last 11 world championship titles were won by French guys?
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

13. Likes: tommeke_B (30th January 2015),WRC1 (30th January 2015)
    친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper View Post
    Throw in 10 nordic drivers and they will all be outpacing all of these three guys. Why don´t we talk about more coming guys than three musketeers...?
    we are taking about coming guys... and nordic drivers are a joke when it comes to that.

In the old days where teams based their selection on manager influence and money there were many... but then serious teams realised that having rally skills is better than a good manager.

15. Likes: nafpaktos (31st January 2015)