Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    M-Sport WRC Champions Fast Eddie WRC's Avatar
    Liked 4,312 Times in 2,296 Posts
    Definitely mate... anything that increases the number of events and greater visibility of the sport has to be a good thing.

Sounds like it went well and most importantly, was safe.

Liked 478 Times in 275 Posts
    Well done to all; organisers,crews, safety crews, marshals, speccies et al and also to Tendring Council/Chelmsford MC for having the foresight to put this event on.

This is hopefully the first of many of closed road rallies inthe UK – as this is the likely future of the sport, as the forest access seemsto be decreasing.
    WRC: On the long way to Recovery............
    Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 288 Times in 173 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    From their website in 2017:

"Wallasey Motor Club Promenade Stages Rally

This annual event takes on Kings Parade New Brighton on 1st & 2ndSeptember 2017.

Winners of Wirral Event of the Year' 2014 The Promenade Stages Rally is the only closed road stage rally in the country, attracting top drivers from all over the UK to tackle this unique event with its challenging twists and turns, where being neat, tidy and precise as well as quick, can secure the win.

This event offers the spectators excellent viewing of the entire stage, and allows them to get close to the cars and chat to the crews in the open service area."
    If that's the case then they were, in all probability, breaking the law if using public roads. Until the law change last year the speed limit restrictions still applied, unless lifted by act of parliament. As far as I'm aware the only event with this was the Jim Clark. A hillclimb near me used to run on a public road, which everyone thought was fine, until one year someone discovered that the road was public and the limit applied. Think they had to pull the plug only a few weeks before the event was due to run.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by MrJan View Post
    If that's the case then they were, in all probability, breaking the law if using public roads. Until the law change last year the speed limit restrictions still applied, unless lifted by act of parliament. As far as I'm aware the only event with this was the Jim Clark. A hillclimb near me used to run on a public road, which everyone thought was fine, until one year someone discovered that the road was public and the limit applied. Think they had to pull the plug only a few weeks before the event was due to run.
    It's been going for years so I dont see how its been illegal all this time.

I assume that as the roads are at the end of the (Wirral) Peninsula they are allowed to be closed as a small 'block' and they dont interfere with any other routes...

Liked 288 Times in 173 Posts
    It's been going for years so I dont see how its been illegal all this time.

I assume that as the roads are at the end of the (Wirral) Peninsula they are allowed to be closed as a small 'block' and they dont interfere with any other routes...
    The event I referred to ran from the early sixties for 30+ years before someone realised, during that whole time anyone travelling over 30mph while going up the hill was basically speeding. One year someone bought a speed gun with them and clocked someone at over 80.

AIUI, in the case of the Promenade stages the road is either private (like Porlock toll road), there is an act of parliament (similar to the Jim Clark), or people are speeding. Closing of roads has always been possible (they do it for events all the time), the problem has always been that speed limits still applied.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

No as others have said the roads used are not Public Roads. They are Private Roads that the public are able to use most of the time but that is a critical difference under the old legislation.
    Tynemouth Computer Services http://www.tynecomp.co.uk

7. Likes: Fast Eddie WRC (26th April 2018)
    Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Liddle View Post
    No as others have said the roads used are not Public Roads. They are Private Roads that the public are able to use most of the time but that is a critical difference under the old legislation.
    Hi Martin
    You're absolutely correct. King's Parade which forms the seaward part of the New Brighton stage & sprint course runs along the top of the sea wall that forms part of the north west Wirral flood defences. Coastal Drive, which runs further inland and the link roads connecting to King's Parade run on the top of embankments built on the reclaimed tidal marshes behind the sea wall. The areas between these embankments form lagoons on the rare occasion when storm surges overtop the sea wall thus adding to the flood protection of the land behind. The entire area is under the control of the local authority, I suspect as part of their responsibility for flood defences, and has been used for motorsport for at least 45 years (the first Wallasey MC sprint was in 1973). I'm guessing this situaton of a road on a sea wall being under council control may also explain the ability to use parts of Blackpool promenade on the North West Stages and the former use of the promenade in Brighton for the speed trials that were held there.

Incidentally I was down in Clacton at the weekend helping our old friend Roger Sawyers run the PC after SS2/7/12. There were a couple of people who had blagged their way past the security man on the road closure barrier with the excuse that they were just going to the house round the corner and weren't too happy when I turned them back but apart from those two vehicles everybody I talked to who was walking to the footpath leading to the middle of the stage was very positive about the event and they were locals just out for a look not die-hard rally fans. I think the excellent weather encouraged a lot more out than might have been the case if had been cold and wet but that did give us the opportunity to showcase the sport to a new audience and I think that most went away happy with what they saw. Let's hope that this can be repeated here and across the rest of the country.

Watching the highlights tonight and enjoyed it, especially the wide variety of cars and good pace shown by many.

Stages reminded me of the Irish Tarmac Ch'ship as in lots of country lanes.

Cant say it looked like many fans out though, just a few locals sitting outside as it passed. They did say there were more people actually watching on the road sections !

Great job by the organisers - I hope this success inspires more such events in England.

Liked 210 Times in 122 Posts
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lt_CI_4ZRU

For those that didnt catch the footage on Motorsport TV here's link to it on YT