Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 146 Times in 113 Posts
    Carrying on from my exchange between TBK and Nitrodaze in the Aus GP thread.

Firstly, TBK is obviously not going to acknowledge that Bottas outqualified Hamilton.

But more to the point, Ricciardo comfortably outqualified Verstappen.

The supposed talent Verstappen has is overblown. They guy is such a potato, he managed to do something that's almost impossible to do. That is, crashing on his own in Bahrain. I mean, count how often a single car crashes in Bahrain?

It's an antique piece. Not even Andrea de Cesaris would be able to crash on his own in Bahrain.

I acknowledge that Verstappen may have relative strengths to Ricciardo. But overall, Ricciardo≥Verstappen.

2. Likes: Mia 01 (9th April 2018)
    Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    journeyman racer, you usually are a very sensible poster, but I must say that lately you're looking a lot like an unreasonable fanboy. It's OK to appreciate Ricciardo, but you don't need to look down on other drivers to make him look better by comparison.

While I agree that Verstappen is a tad overrated, there's no denying that the guy has buckets of potential and that he could turn into a great if he manages to temper that hot head of his.

Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    What a brilliant weekend for HONDA. Pierre Gasly is proving to be a real star. The next best new Redbull driver to hit F1 since Max Verstapenn. A Honda powered Torro Rosso qualifies fifth behind the senior team Redbull of Ricciado in fourth. This is simply sensational.

But what does this mean?

1. There is a new star on the grid
    2. Ricciados shelf life at Redbull just got shorter
    3. The Honda is better than most people think it is
    4. Mclaren may have been too hasty on their decision on the Honda engine. Considering that both Mclaren powered by a Renault engine qualified outside the top ten and behind both Torro Rosso.
    5. Gasly's Torro Rosso in front of the Haas, protects the Redbull from the Haas which gives Ricciado the chance to take the fight to Bottas and the two Ferraris.
    6. The gap between the sharp end of the grid and the midfield is 1.1seconds which is big.
    7. Mclaren is in a sticky situation in the midfield with Haas and Torro Rosso likely to regularly spoilt the party for them.
    8. A new F1 star just sparkle through the grid brilliantly in the shape of Pierre Gasly
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 8th April 2018 at 14:45.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

5. Likes: zako85 (9th April 2018)
    Liked 789 Times in 651 Posts
    The really shocker is the Williams are at the rear of the grid with Sirotkin out qualifying Stroll. So much for the Paddy Lowe car which is looking like a fluke at the mo. The only way from this position is up, so l hope Williams would understand the problem with their new car and put in back where it belongs by the next few races.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 8th April 2018 at 13:14.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 667 Times in 465 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Triumph View Post
    Does anyone happen to know what causes the white light effect at the rears of the cars? They all seem to do it, but it's only apparent at racing speed.

It appears to come from under the rear light area - more of a light or flame in appearance, rather than dust or water vapour. I suppose it's possible that they do this all the time, but it's only visible in the night sessions. Attachment 1581Attachment 1582

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    I haven't heard any real explanations about it, just theory tossed around. Looking at a couple freeze frame shots, I think it might be actual flame/glow exposed due to the darker track, and/or refraction of light off the exhaust gasses. There was one shot I looked at that had the "glow" farther back from the exhaust tip, as if it were just the light somehow being focused as it passed through the exhaust gas trail.

Now that I've added my theory maybe some technical type on one of the teams will tell me I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by N4D13 View Post
    journeyman racer, you usually are a very sensible poster, but I must say that lately you're looking a lot like an unreasonable fanboy. It's OK to appreciate Ricciardo, but you don't need to look down on other drivers to make him look better by comparison.

While I agree that Verstappen is a tad overrated, there's no denying that the guy has buckets of potential and that he could turn into a great if he manages to temper that hot head of his.
    Agreed. The fanboy fights should just go to private messages. It ends up with a bunch of back and forth that isn't subjective. While many of us like or dislike certain drivers when it degrades to kid stuff then it just spams up a thread for all of us.

Overall, some interesting stuff in qually. Honda power..... just wow. Unless it's a complete fluke McLaren might hate themselves as the season progresses. Mercs struggling with tire heat and lap times, Ferrari seem to have real pace, and it looks like Ricciardo might have a podium shot. Kimi seems to have real pace vs Seb, and qually might not be the saving grace. Great sessions for Gasly.

This might actually be an interesting race. I guess we will find out in a couple hours.

Liked 788 Times in 585 Posts
    Firstly , I look forward to a good race , mainly because I don't know who will win .

Secondly , journeyman debates his opinion very well , so , rather than just calling him names , why not simply refute his points ?
    This place is all about opinion and debate , so I find the idea of taking it to PM almost offensive in itself .

Respectful debate , ladies and gentlemen . We can do it .

Fair point to the idea that it can derail a thread , so perhaps a Ricciardo thread ?

9. Likes: Mia 01 (9th April 2018)
    Liked 667 Times in 465 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    Firstly , I look forward to a good race , mainly because I don't know who will win .

Secondly , journeyman debates his opinion very well , so , rather than just calling him names , why not simply refute his points ?
    This place is all about opinion and debate , so I find the idea of taking it to PM almost offensive in itself .

Respectful debate , ladies and gentlemen . We can do it .

Fair point to the idea that it can derail a thread , so perhaps a Ricciardo thread ?
    Though I would usually agree and respect your opinion Bagwan, I see it more as trolling for an argument based on a thread that has already died. If anyone didn't wish to continue a debate there, why drag it into here?

And I actually quite like Ricciardo and Max both. If I were in a position to have one on a team, it would be a tough decision. One is more calculated, seasoned, and generally a bit more predictable on track. The other is younger, aggressive, a wet weather terror, and maturing with time.

But back to reasoned discussion at hand, would it be fair if I said Ricciardo was a complete potato for hitting the wall during qually in Baku and causing a red flag? I think it would just add flames to the fire, and would rather bring up that virtually EVERY driver at some point does something similar. I'm usually one to be all in for any [i][b]reasoned and sensible[\i][\b] debate, opinion and dialogue. But at times it seems that certain combinations lately are just getting away from any fact based debate and well into the grey area of opinions.

Liked 643 Times in 508 Posts
    Good morning all! I'm looking forward to a very interesting race. Beside the first twp rows we have very good potential for close racing throughout the field. Very interested to see how Gasly, and Magnussen go!
    May the forza be with you

Liked 46 Times in 41 Posts
    I’m flipping channels between f1 & motogp. It’s a wet race in Argentina & a race in a desert in Bahrain. I’ll be focusing on the midfield battle as usual for formula 1 while it’ll be a lottery in motogp. Enjoy the shows

Liked 180 Times in 140 Posts
    The Haas award goes to RBR this time!
    Oct. 31, 1999 - one of the blackest days in motorsports.