Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 355 Times in 198 Posts
    Borrowed these posts from another forum I'm a member of and thought they may be of interest to some here:

Post 1

This was the first round of the 2018 British Rallycross Championship and the first ever Rallycross event held there, on an all-new course tucked inside of Stowe corner behind the new(ish) winged F1 paddock. I have very mixed feelings about the venue. Here goes:

1) The circuit seems too short. There are no fast corners, they're all slow and tight, meaning that the field of cars gets strung out quite quickly. Not something we're used to in Rallycross where often half the field will be sharing the lead on the first lap! It also reduces the opportunities to overtake, as the car in front is already accelerating away whilst the cars behind are still negotiating the bend. Tristan Ovenden confirmed to me afterwards he was in first and second the whole way around in his V6 Renault Clio!

2) The mud used is incredibly claggy. Cars were covered in thick, gloopy clay, making it difficult to identify the runners and riders sometimes. The paddock was awash with clay, resembling a pre-school classroom after 'art and craft' lessons!

3) Spectating is compromised: the banks built up between the paddock and circuit are not tall enough for spectators to stand and watch much of what's going on. The combination of sub-zero temperatures, snow and winds stopped me from trying out the grandstand. Standing in front of the grandstand meant it was difficult to hear the commentary, which had been set up for the grandstand, not us nutters huddling together on the scalpings like a multi-coloured flock/ herd of penguins. (What is the collective noun for a group of penguins? A packet, I suppose lol! ) Ahem, back to the review!!

4) The tyre barrier adjacent to the grid area was so high you couldn't see much of the cars as they drove past the joker lap merge area, which was a shame.

5) The gaps between races were too long. The designers have cleverly identified that on the continent, the grid for one race can be formed whilst the previous race is still running. However, the British version, attacked by raging Health and Safety, meant the cars were kept back on the pre-grid before forming up on the grid proper. This meant some drivers' cameras, which were turned on before venturing on to the pre grid area, had gone flat by the time the drivers' races started, leading to at least one exclusion I know of and probably several more I don't!

6) Recovery of cars stranded on track took an age, with the telelift trundling around at tractor speeds to recover the vehicles. Sometimes this took even longer when the exit gate between the first two corners wasn't operating! Very odd and just as frustrating. Some of the recovery 'missions' were for tyre stacks disturbed by passing cars. This happened a lot. Perhaps some concrete kerbs would be better or maybe the tyres were too close to the track edge?

7) Finding the circuit once on the Silverstone grounds was tricky, as was finding an exit at the end. There was no signposting, just the occasional frozen marshal in the morning. They'd been defrosted by the evening and I saw no-one helping the escape process, but I did leave quite late after the prize-giving.

Cool A positive: The jump was good. As the circuit dried off and speeds improved into the afternoon, there was some airborne action which made for some superb photographs, but only for the professional snappers inside the circuit itself.

Much like my school reports Silverstone, you must try harder! Learn from the various niggles I and others have, perhaps get a longer straight and a touch more tarmac to increase speeds and build up the spectating areas, more catering facilities and toilets and it will be great. Lots to do before the World RX championship descends in May. I'll be there with a bigger display then!

Please don't get me wrong. I enjoyed myself very much this weekend and look forward to returning there in future. It's just that Rallycross is such a superb sport for drivers and spectators alike and what I witnessed at Silverstone doesn't live up to the high standard I expect for my sport.

Post 2

We arrived at the main gate and parked as directed. The ticket booth was empty and young girl was outside this booth in the bitter cold, selling the tickets with a card machine in her hand. I saw nobody anywhere selling programmes

The queue for the shuttle bus was just inside. Having queued for 10 mins no shuttle bus appeared then a 12 seater mini bus. We would be waiting for two more to get on! So we walked around the best part of half way around the outside of the GP circuit to eventually find as bridge into the infield. There was no signage, no toilet blocks open. There appeared to be 3 shuttle mini buses, that was until one got stuck in the mud. Three buses was nowhere near enough, two months to fix that.

Over the bridge and we were alongside the much vaunted new RallyX track. It looked very flat, not much elevation, very very muddy on the corners, one big jump right in front of us, no spectator embankment on this side, over the other side one grandstand and a slight embankment in front of it, high debris fencing all along here so absolutely no chance for the amateur photographer, one toilet block, one burger stand, the paddock was open to all to see everything, Backerud, Loeb & T Hansen were there along with a very understated Prodrive Renault Megane. The spectators can only spectate on half the length of the track. The track was featureless and a bit too short

Liked 142 Times in 86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal the 2nd View Post
    along with a very understated Prodrive Renault Megane.
    Chichiret was in a Clio, not a Megane!

Cool A positive: The jump was good. As the circuit dried off and speeds improved into the afternoon, there was some airborne action which made for some superb photographs, but only for the professional snappers inside the circuit itself.
    I understand that infield access was limited for the accredited photographers. Several of the professional photographers were on the outside of the track (with the spectators).
    Last edited by tbtstt; 27th March 2018 at 15:27.
    "If in doubt... flat out!"

Lydden for the 2nd round this weekend. Godfrey is continuing with the Mitsu so will be interesting to see how he fares now the WRX interlopers are not around.

Lydden for the 2nd round this weekend. Godfrey is continuing with the Mitsu so will be interesting to see how he fares now the WRX interlopers are not around.
    Yeah. Lydden is a power circuit, so it's going to be interesting to see how the Mirage compares. Hopefully Higgins has a drama free day, as I would like to see him do well. Liam Doran confirmed in a C4, so hopefully he'll provide some sideways entertainment.

Looks like it is going to be wet, but hopefully it will be a bit warmer than Silverstone!

Any chance of a Mini appearing this year? I'm sure I read somewhere that Doran was involved with the cars again.

Any chance of a Mini appearing this year? I'm sure I read somewhere that Doran was involved with the cars again.
    Yeah, Liam Doran and Steve Harris have bought the entire Mini program from JRM which I understand included three shells.

I wasn't sure if he'd be able to find a seat with a World team, but I was expecting Liam to be running in the European and/or British Championship this year, either in a freshly built Mini or one of the LD Motorsport DS3's. Been strangely quiet so far.

I actually saw Liam at an event in London a couple of evenings ago, but he was in conversation with people throughout the evening, so I didn't get to ask what he was doing this year!

Good first win for Miggins with Godfrey 2nd. Sounds like a very wet day with lots of offs.

Good first win for Miggins with Godfrey 2nd. Sounds like a very wet day with lots of offs.
    It wasn't anywhere near as bad as the forecast said it would be. It looked like it would be raining most of the morning, but we only got a few minor showers. The rain got heavy about half way through the semi finals and carried on until the end of the day. Got a bit wet, but was far warmer than Silverstone, so I was quite happy with that!

Great drive from Mark in the conditions. I would say that Liam Doran was fast enough to beat Higgins, but he tried to pull a rather ambitious move in the final and broke the car. Another measured performance from Godfrey in the Mirage, second in the final and he retains the lead of the Championship.

Most impressive driver in the Supercars for me was Jake Harris. He seemed completely out of touch last year but he was challenging a lot of the front runners yesterday. Massive improvement from him, really hope he gets some good results this year.

Forgive the double post, but a few pictures from Lydden...

...and a few more here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/229616...57667645182798

For anyone who is interested!

10. Likes: Sal the 2nd (10th April 2018)
    Great images as usual. I take it you had a media pass?

12. Likes: tbtstt (10th April 2018)