Page 94 of 94 FirstFirst ... 4484929394
    Liked 5,994 Times in 2,511 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by janvanvurpa View Post
    There are solid reasons why it's spelled ass-fault...

Guess we're just dumb lucky that we don't do ass-fault rally in Norf America...
    Well... it's not boring if You know where to spectate. It just requires a lot more preparation for the spectators who wants to see something. Otherwise crazy fast events like Barum or Ypres are very spectacular despite being asphalt. On gravel You just come to a random corner and it's usually somewhat ok. This approach simply doesn't work with asphalt events.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

2. Likes: cali (17th April 2018),pantealex (16th April 2018)
    Liked 343 Times in 113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    Interesting. I'm from an asphalt country and I have the exact opposite feeling. Gravel gives me mostly more perception of speed due to the cars sliding on the loose surface. On asphalt i's much harder to find places where it looks fast and not boring like hell. My two cents.
    Couldn't agree more. I am from a gravel country and I have only two tarmac rallies in my bag - Germany WRC 2015 and Barum 2017. After last one I came to conclusion that you can not use your gravel experience in tarmac rallies spectating at all. Cars behave and tires works totally different and what wow's you in gravel on tarmac it seems like driving on rails. It's all about experience to find enjoyable spots in tarmac rallies. Same applies to gravel rallies. When I in 2007 was in Finland for a first time, every Ouninpohja bend seemed to me like best spot ever. With my nowadays experience I need to work hard to find something there for my taste

4. Likes: A FONDO (16th April 2018),pantealex (16th April 2018)
    Liked 774 Times in 336 Posts
    Also a problem with tarmac rallies vs gravel rallies, is that you need good drivers to have spectacular passes on tarmac. On gravel, even slow(er) drivers are often spectacular.
    www.wrcpickem.weebly.com

6. Likes: A FONDO (16th April 2018),pantealex (16th April 2018)
    Liked 888 Times in 280 Posts
    Tarmac is for more experienced taste. It's clear you need to look with "different eyes" between gravel and tarmac. I like to expect the unexpected on tarmac events, the compression on bad tarmac, compressions on high speed narrow tarmac, overninght rain and dirty cuts, etc. If you find a good place on tarmac (=runki), it's more satisfying than on gravel. But I agree that slow and on rails like tarmac is boring, but so is gravel or snow. When cars are driven to their max, it doesn't matter what's the surface.
    Lue: rallirinki.net | Katso: rallirinki.kuvat.fi | Seuraa: @HartusvuoriWRC

8. Likes: cali (17th April 2018),dimviii (17th April 2018),sindroms (17th April 2018)
    Liked 4,146 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Tänak onboard of Novella stage https://youtu.be/NK-v7QppalU
    "Some famous quote from some famous person"

Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts