Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 brc

Liked 183 Times in 122 Posts
    Should just hold a stage rally on the Jurby race circuit with a few road cones and plastic barricades for chicanes.

Liked 9,312 Times in 4,938 Posts
    News this morning that the West Cork Rally has been included in next years British Rally Championship...

3. Likes: Rally Power (5th September 2018)
    Liked 2,261 Times in 892 Posts
    Read in MN that the BRC have approach the Trackrod Rally about becoming a round to replace the Manx this year. Would need unanimous competitor approval to be added so I'd guess it's possibly a long shot. I did wonder whether quite a few would use it as a last-minute gravel test outing before Wales GB anyway. Let's see.
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

5. Likes: Rally Power (5th September 2018),the sniper (5th September 2018)
    Jack Benyon from MN has confirmed the Trackrod will not be taken as a round of the BRC.

Also on the AR podcast it was rumoured that the poor entry was the real problem for Rally IOM. The organisers seeing a big loss coming and used the Govt safety issue as an excuse to pull the plug...

Liked 1,529 Times in 657 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Also on the AR podcast it was rumoured that the poor entry was the real problem for Rally IOM. The organisers seeing a big loss coming and used the Govt safety issue as an excuse to pull the plug...
    According to the guy with the overall responsibility for motor sport on the Isle of Man, who is separate from the department in control of the roads/infrastructure/road closure, he says the Rally organises were offered protection against financial loses in the event of them not having enough entries (I think the rally organiser said they needed 110, but there were around 80 paid, 30+ entered but not yet paid), reliant upon the event going ahead. IIRC he says they never returned the paperwork to make the application for the financial protection... He talks about it here: https://youtu.be/hAaBq5CVgeE?t=4m30s

The whole thing seems like a right shambles. From what I can understand it seems Rally Isle of Man was cancelled when it was because they hadn't been granted the Road Closure Order at the point that they needed to pay for equipment for the event (including Trophies) and for the road books to be printed, which the RIoM Chairman said would cost around £30k. Had the Road Closure Order not been granted before the Rally, which the IoM Infrastructure people state they believed could and would be granted, the Rally would have to be cancelled and the organiser's would have suffered the loss of £30k on equipment/goods that couldn't be recouped. It's hard to tell whether the Infrastructure department were warranted in making continued further demands rather than granting the Road Closure Order, but it seems to me like the Rally organisers didn't like the demands being made of them and essentially picked up their ball and went home, leaving the fall out to fall on everyone.

One thing they all say though is that they believe the Rally will be back on next year. Well, that may be the case and it may well go ahead, but I can't see any Championship or non-IoM based entrants being keen to get back involved with this lot. This has undoubtedly further damaged the reputation of the event. I think they'll need the financially or organisational involvement of the IoM state to relaunch the event and provide some guarantees.

If nothing else, it's been interesting to follow all the news and interviews from the IoM, where they're treating it like a big deal. More noise is usually made by a tree falling in an empty forest than is made by a piece of breaking news in British rallying!

This is the view from the Rally Chairman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh9kFYo-rsw (5m 45s onwards for the stuff about the event losing money from ordering equipment should the event not go ahead)

This is the view from the equivalent of one of their MPs, who's provides a bit more of an overview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7HahEzx_oE

8. Likes: AndyRAC (7th September 2018)
    Liked 1,244 Times in 676 Posts
    It's been interesting to watch both view points on YouTube; agree with the previous post, it is quite a big story, and almost eye opening to see the discussions of the sport on a news programme.

With the state of the BRC I wonder whether including events not on the mainland (apart from Ulster) is a good idea? I like the idea of including the West Cork, but how many UK-based entrants will it get?

I think the BRC needs a rethink, as the relaunch hasn't really taken off; cancelled events, smallish entries, lack of decent media exposure.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    David Richards certainly certainly seems to be having a positive effect elsewhere, with today's announcement that the MSA are relaxing the rules on a requirement for FIA homologated belts and seats. I may have already mentioned that he's apparently keen to push grass roots motorsport, not sure how likely he is to be worried initially about the BRC as may be more of the opinion that it needs to be built from the foundations. I.E get more people competing/marshalling/officiating at the entry level and they'll gradually step up. Currently the events/money/exposure offered by the BRC just aren't worth the outlay for the teams/drivers, and I can't see that changing soon.

Perhaps it needs a rethink of what they want from the championship, try less to be prestigious and more look at encompassing and supporting events that already work. Knock the idea of long or two day rallies on the head and just offer support to things that were already run reasonably well but with the need of support to expand.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 3,776 Times in 1,679 Posts
    I am telling from beginning, that current BRC came with big eyes and wanted to have successful international series immediatelly. But it is not working like that. If you want to have successful championship, you must work on it, step by step. And show the drivers that it is worth championship to do... And I think this failed.

12. Likes: pantealex (12th September 2018)
    2019 Prestone MSA British Rally Championship calendar*

16 February – Visit Conwy Cambrian Rally, Llandudno, Wales

16/17 March – Quality Hotel West Cork Rally, Clonakilty, Republic of Ireland

27 April – Pirelli International Rally, Carlisle, England

28/29 June – Renties Ypres Rally, Ypres, Belgium

17 August – Ulster Rally, Antrim, Northern Ireland

7 September – The Armstrong Galloway Hills Rally, Castle Douglas, Scotland

Reserve Round – Dayinsure Wales Rally GB – Date TBC

*Calendar subject to approval by the MSA

14. Likes: AndyRAC (12th September 2018),Mirek (12th September 2018)
    Liked 1,244 Times in 676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    2019 Prestone MSA British Rally Championship calendar*

16 February – Visit Conwy Cambrian Rally, Llandudno, Wales

16/17 March – Quality Hotel West Cork Rally, Clonakilty, Republic of Ireland

27 April – Pirelli International Rally, Carlisle, England

28/29 June – Renties Ypres Rally, Ypres, Belgium

17 August – Ulster Rally, Antrim, Northern Ireland

7 September – The Armstrong Galloway Hills Rally, Castle Douglas, Scotland

Reserve Round – Dayinsure Wales Rally GB – Date TBC

*Calendar subject to approval by the MSA
    All good events - so, in theory, should be a good championship. However, 3 'away' events isn't going to be good from a cost point of view.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???