Page 228 of 237 FirstFirst ... 128178218226227228229230 ... LastLast
Results 2,271 to 2,280 of 2367
    Liked 244 Times in 100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deephouse View Post
    What if we go in another direction of arguing about the slowest driver out there. Please don't count Qassimi, Block and other one off-s.
    without a doubt: Mikkelsen... sorry for him but true
    Juha Kankkunen: "The speed was o.K., but the corner was to tight"
    Marcus Grönholm: "... tell corrado .... three gears are enough..! "

2. Likes: steve.mandzij (2nd November 2018)
    Liked 445 Times in 205 Posts
    RallyJapan (Shinshiro) under observation this wkend as candidate event by FIA members Michèle Mouton & Timo Rautiainen + Oliver Cesla ► http://bit.ly/2zs4NSu

Liked 1,995 Times in 793 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stefanvv View Post
    Well I'm not n.o.t. to judge people's mind capabilities and throw random insults. Just wanted to know which indicator(s) makes a driver indisputable fastest as there are so many variables and circumstances, that I can never claim certain driver has been fastest 100%.
    Easy now, it wasn't meant as an offence.

For me the fact that Tänak has absolutely smashed everyone on the number of fastest stage times tells enough. And ofcourse there are numerous variables. But, in our sport, we'll never be able to eliminate all those might-be-factors. That's why I tend to respect the statistics.
    ku ois neljä pyörää ku vetäis ni ois vähän eri sekunnit kyllä pätkillä, sen mä takaan

5. Likes: pantealex (4th November 2018)
    Liked 3,795 Times in 1,982 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WRC1 View Post
    without a doubt: Mikkelsen... sorry for him but true
    Using stage wins Evans is far slower (14 vs 3). The other drivers with fewer typically didn't do as many rallies, those that did almost as many are Suninen - 3, Breen - 7.

If you look at rally lead in addition to that Mikkelsen with 11 has significantly more stages in lead than Latvala (6) and Lappi (1). Evans and Suninen have 0, Breen 2.

So without a doubt he is at worst 4th from the bottom, without even trying to do a detalied comparison with the part time drivers (Østberg, Paddon, Sordo).

Liked 1,170 Times in 791 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Andruet View Post
    Easy now, it wasn't meant as an offence.
    I never actually thought it was. You looked more self critical than anything else.

For me the fact that Tänak has absolutely smashed everyone on the number of fastest stage times tells enough. And ofcourse there are numerous variables. But, in our sport, we'll never be able to eliminate all those might-be-factors. That's why I tend to respect the statistics.
    Statistics is a bitch. After 20 years no one would care who had the record number of stage times, but who was the champion. But don't worry, me too believe Tanak's time will come Almost sure it'll be next year already.
    Last edited by stefanvv; 2nd November 2018 at 18:44.
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    The problem with this kind of votings is that a driver alone cannot win a championship. He needs the car and the co-driver and the whole team with him. It's difficult to single out the best driver or the best car or the best co-driver when some combinations seem to work better than others.

9. Likes: Allez Andruet (2nd November 2018),cali (5th November 2018),dnb (2nd November 2018),steve.mandzij (2nd November 2018)
    Statistics is a bitch. After 20 years no one would care who had the record number of stage times, but who was the champion.
    Well, it wasn't actually about who cares about what but how to define the fastest. Being a champ is one way to do it - but that's "statistics" as well, isn't it?
    ku ois neljä pyörää ku vetäis ni ois vähän eri sekunnit kyllä pätkillä, sen mä takaan

Liked 846 Times in 407 Posts
    Is there a way on ewrc to compare drivers? I wonder who would be up on head to head statistics between Evans and Mikkelsen. Both drivers have been way below expectations this year; Evans has just been nowhere near the speed he was purported to have with the Dmacks but he did get a nice looking podium in Spain. Mikkelsen, for me, has been far worse, and his wet tarmac speed was tragic.

12. Likes: WRC1 (3rd November 2018)
    Liked 1,170 Times in 791 Posts
    Well, it wasn't actually about who cares about what but how to define the fastest. Being a champ is one way to do it - but that's "statistics" as well, isn't it?
    Sure, I still stand behind my statement giving someone as example (without even saying why) is not a "definition", I can give you dictionary link of that word, but You can use google Yourself I guess. Tanak himself certainly doesn't qualify to be in the dictionary as universal truth, it's more like to look behind fan glasses or call it how You wish, in the context of current world rally championship of course.

Anyway we're going off-topic for some time and might bore the people. Let's keep it on-topic.
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

You can use google Yourself I guess.
    Sorry, but I prefer Altavista.