Page 194 of 237 FirstFirst ... 94144184192193194195196204 ... LastLast
Results 1,931 to 1,940 of 2367
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    So far very quiet on driver moves and signings for 2019. Finland-Germany is where contracts usually get signed, so we should start hearing rumors soon.
    Yeah, this was supposed to be the silliest season with many contracts ending but so far nothing...last year it was crazy with rumors this time of year

Liked 199 Times in 118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the sniper View Post
    Absolutely agree!

Here in the UK, I think the WRC could really do with aiming for a slot on BBC2 in the mid/late afternoon on the Saturday following each rally. Being on the BBC legitimises the sport as important and also has side benefits of getting you featured more prominently on the BBC website under sports news and VOD/Iplayer. The press also pay more attention to stuff on the BBC. You only have to look at the effect BBC coverage has had on UK interest in NFL/Superbowl to see how effective this would be. The time delay doesn't really matter to the mainstream/casual audience you'd attract in that spot, and you'd still have daily highlights on the likes on BT Sport and live on WRC+. As part of the deal you could have daily highlights and live stages on BBC2 for Rally GB only, which would be monumental exposure. This is similar to the level of coverage the BBC have offered Rally GB and the WRC in the past. If offered a cheap/free package, I can't see that the BBC would turn it down, unless they're completely dominated now by 'social responsibility' precluding any new Motorsport coverage (they still just about produce Top Gear though, so there's some hope).
    this sport is still in deep shit. only hard core fans as us know who's winning or who are the drivers. kids from my street only know meeke because of spectacular crashes

Liked 9,343 Times in 4,962 Posts
    The BBC really struggle to afford decent sport these days. They only spend on total mainstream (football) or the very cheapest (like equestrian).

I wonder what the WRC charges ? Surely it would be better to reduce the price if it meant BBC showing it rather than Ch.5 ...

The BBC was a massive ally of rallying years ago and must've created thousands of fans for the sport.

Liked 656 Times in 315 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    The BBC really struggle to afford decent sport these days. They only spend on total mainstream (football) or the very cheapest (like equestrian).

I wonder what the WRC charges ? Surely it would be better to reduce the price if it meant BBC showing it rather than Ch.5 ...

The BBC was a massive ally of rallying years ago and must've created thousands of fans for the sport.
    It's not a question of cost of the rights, for sure. Most sports would take no money to be on the BBC.

The BBC, like most state broadcasters, do not like to show sport that they do not produce themselves. This is about creating bespoke, focused content for their audience, and also keep their internal staff occupied.

That in itself creates huge costs.

The BBC shifted F1 to their subsidiary Channel 4 in order to reduce the costs of production and other ancilliary costs (it was outsourced on C4), while still paying the rights fee to F1!!

Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts
    The BBC shifted F1 to their subsidiary Channel 4 in order to reduce the costs of production and other ancilliary costs (it was outsourced on C4), while still paying the rights fee to F1!![/QUOTE]

Since when was C4 a subsidiary of the BBC?

Liked 9,343 Times in 4,962 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rallyfiend View Post
    It's not a question of cost of the rights, for sure. Most sports would take no money to be on the BBC.

The BBC, like most state broadcasters, do not like to show sport that they do not produce themselves. This is about creating bespoke, focused content for their audience, and also keep their internal staff occupied.

That in itself creates huge costs.

The BBC shifted F1 to their subsidiary Channel 4 in order to reduce the costs of production and other ancilliary costs (it was outsourced on C4), while still paying the rights fee to F1!!
    The Premier League football isnt 'made' by the BBC and they buy a package of highlights for Match of the Day. So why not a package of WRC and use their own commentators ?

Liked 212 Times in 133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stefanvv View Post
    You're mixing the things up - nobody watches WRC because of the noise (from casual spectators). They watch it because there is good competition, cars are fast, more extreme as You say, there are at least 3 manufacturers and 1 semi manufacturer, last but not least - the promotion is getting better and better every year.

Look back to Loeb era - nobody cared 1 French guy in a French team beats everybody around, with just 1 competitor manufacturer to oppose, even that didn't last long and Ford pulled the plug. In my country there was no interest whatsoever from local TV stations to broadcast WRC. Even I watched it only occasionally on Eurosport back then, just to see Loeb wins again. How will You attract new viewers with this? You can't. Now everything moves in the right direction, noise or not much noise I don't think cars will become slower and less spectacular. Add to this numerous manufacturers interest, and the formula is cooked.

I'm not competent in f1 area, sorry.
    Your comment does not make much sense, sorry. I would say sound is a factor on the cars being extreme. The nº1 thing that stucks with friends I take to watch rallys is sound, after that speed, they are always impressed and excited by how loud some of the cars are. Drag races have fast cars and how many are interested by them?! The only real problem with the WRC nowadays is lack of competition and lack of diversity of nationalities, it is very hard to conquer all markets when you have only a french and a Belgium in the fight. Look what Hamilton has done to the popularity of F1 in the UK.

No matter how hard it is to manufacteurs and promoters, they will always have to catter to the hardcore fans also, after all it is them spending 1000 plus € to attend several events around the World
    Last edited by Francis44; 24th July 2018 at 12:50.

Liked 212 Times in 133 Posts
    Anyway I think, like the WEC, WRC should be looking at alternative fuels, but not just electricity. WEC promoters know what excites the crowds, that is why we will soon maybe see some kind of hydrogen application on that championship.

Liked 2,261 Times in 892 Posts
    More cash for WRC promoter from 'global chemical giant' - https://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/july...7--12-12-.html

Maybe strengthens the potential for a Japanese round?
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

Liked 656 Times in 315 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    The Premier League football isnt 'made' by the BBC and they buy a package of highlights for Match of the Day. So why not a package of WRC and use their own commentators ?
    The Premier League is an English product.

International sports are not...

A national broadcaster would need to focus more fully on just their national drivers - something that the makers of an international feed (such as WRC) have less to do.