Page 111 of 216 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121161211 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 2153
    Liked 2,345 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Andruet View Post
    I haven't been too impressed with Suninen this year. It's understandable that he's more focusing on getting the experience than trying to always set the fastest time, but still. He didn't manage to post a single top five stage time in Mexico (not counting super specials) and got beat by R5 (Rovanperä) on PS. I'd definitely pick Östberg over Suninen for Argentina.
    We must remember that Suninen didn't have any testing before Mexico, and it had been half a year since he drove that car on gravel, and the first time he ever drove on that kind of conditions. I believe he was just first trying to find his pace and settings, and when Evans retired he was told to finish to secure manufacturer points. That added pressure could also mess up with the rhythm, probably resulting in his offs on the Friday afternoon. Actually Suninen's best stage result (apart from that super special win) was SS20 where he was fourth, but then again, by that time the Rally2 guys were saving tyres and Meeke went off.

It's a dilemma of a driver needing to drive more rallies to get experience but not getting to do rallies because he has not enough experience.

Liked 1,892 Times in 884 Posts
    I should also point that Mexico is also difficult event with high altitude.

Liked 393 Times in 182 Posts
    V-Rally4 the game is back from this september ► http://bit.ly/2pedXwT

4. Likes: Eli (14th March 2018),tomhlord (14th March 2018)
    Liked 544 Times in 215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    We must remember that Suninen didn't have any testing before Mexico, and it had been half a year since he drove that car on gravel, and the first time he ever drove on that kind of conditions. I believe he was just first trying to find his pace and settings, and when Evans retired he was told to finish to secure manufacturer points. That added pressure could also mess up with the rhythm, probably resulting in his offs on the Friday afternoon. Actually Suninen's best stage result (apart from that super special win) was SS20 where he was fourth, but then again, by that time the Rally2 guys were saving tyres and Meeke went off.
    That's all true, but IMO they don't apply as such for Suninen. The guy's something special, that we saw last year in Poland and Finland. You shouldn't be able to post fastest times and fight for podiums in your first WRC events, but that's exactly what he did. That's why I expected more from Sweden and Mexico. He also lost his testing slot in Finland (due to Ogier's crash), but it didn't matter that time. I think it's just a case of maybe thinking too much or something, Teemu should just go for it. I'd rather see him taking a podium and then crashing out on the next two rallies than "getting the experience" and finishing 8th. Don't know if Malcolm would agree though
    ku ois neljä pyörää ku vetäis ni ois vähän eri sekunnit kyllä pätkillä, sen mä takaan

6. Likes: pantealex (16th March 2018)
    Liked 467 Times in 284 Posts
    That's all true, but IMO they don't apply as such for Suninen. The guy's something special, that we saw last year in Poland and Finland. You shouldn't be able to post fastest times and fight for podiums in your first WRC events, but that's exactly what he did. That's why I expected more from Sweden and Mexico. He also lost his testing slot in Finland (due to Ogier's crash), but it didn't matter that time. I think it's just a case of maybe thinking too much or something, Teemu should just go for it. I'd rather see him taking a podium and then crashing out on the next two rallies than "getting the experience" and finishing 8th. Don't know if Malcolm would agree though
    Lappi was also fast on his debut in home rally but where he is now -nowhere. With current rules everyone can be fast for a while on his favorite event. But for the championship you need versatility.

Liked 348 Times in 197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A FONDO View Post
    Lappi was also fast on his debut in home rally but where he is now -nowhere. With current rules everyone can be fast for a while on his favorite event. But for the championship you need versatility.
    Nowhere? Sure? IIRC he was the highest placed Toyota in Sweden (at least he was at one point)

Liked 942 Times in 660 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve.mandzij View Post
    Nowhere? Sure? IIRC he was the highest placed Toyota in Sweden (at least he was at one point)
    You really ignore road order significance.
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

Liked 414 Times in 220 Posts
    Well, road order will be the case anyway, but he was in a quite good position before his mistake in RMC also. All three events new for him in a WRC (although Sweden could be counted as his home event) and never been to Mexico i believe? Shouldn`t really complain yet, all of them don`t have "Sebastian" in their name. Some progress by speed and breaking, others by being medium and others stay medium or won`t reach even that level.
    Last edited by Tarmop; 14th March 2018 at 21:13.

11. Likes: electroliquid (15th March 2018),steve.mandzij (14th March 2018)
    Liked 2,345 Times in 1,055 Posts
    That's all true, but IMO they don't apply as such for Suninen. The guy's something special, that we saw last year in Poland and Finland. You shouldn't be able to post fastest times and fight for podiums in your first WRC events, but that's exactly what he did. That's why I expected more from Sweden and Mexico. He also lost his testing slot in Finland (due to Ogier's crash), but it didn't matter that time.
    I think Suninen had a test before Poland, and we could consider all of Poland as a test event for Rally Finland. And he had a half day of testing before Finland with the same car he did the rally with. But before Mexico, no testing at all. Very different conditions, no gravel driving in a WRC car for months.

13. Likes: steve.mandzij (15th March 2018)
    Liked 2,599 Times in 1,213 Posts
    M-Sport begins work on all-electric rally car

https://www.motorsport-news.co.uk/ne...ric-rally-car/

15. Likes: AnttiL (15th March 2018)