Page 234 of 237 FirstFirst ... 134184224232233234235236 ... LastLast
Results 2,331 to 2,340 of 2367
    Liked 101 Times in 36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarmop View Post
    I don`t see motorsports selling cars TODAY, except racing. Maybe the brand itself, yes, but that`s also quite hard. People want SUVs, entertainment, economy, long warranty and a low monthly payment- when we aren`t talking about premium car. Also pretty hard to create cars for a petrolhead because of all the safety and eco demands. They all weigh a million because of many airbags and driveraids and cost a lot. Times when RS`s, STIs and Evos were popular from clubman events to grp n. are over, fun while it still lasts and hopefully the "oldtimers" are also maintained not only used and they`re around for some 10 years+.
    For a manufacturer to invest in motorsport it is all about branding and brand awareness. It is a totally another form of advertising.
    Possibly the old saying "win on Sunday, sell on Monday" may not be so true anymore but having a regular appearance in motorsport will constantly remind people of brands. When a buyer makes a decision to buy a new vehicle, those brands with the higher profile due to motorsport or just pure TV or print advertising will always be higher up the preferred list of options.
    In a similar way to what happened in Norway regarding Petter & Subaru and the sales increases, that happened in NZ as well in the 1990s with Possum Bourne. He had a very high profile and was always associated with Subaru. Subaru sales here reflected that as well. Possum never won anything like Petter did but he did amazing things for Subaru NZ and its branding. Hayden Paddon is doing similar things, (not quite to the same extent though) with Hyundai NZ branding.

2. Likes: Rally Power (9th November 2018)
    Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    Subaru is anyway on a different level and good cars like STIs are honoured also today, second (4. 5th hand) with JDM verisons imported etc...much like any other car with a normal price tag and performance, regardless of its brand, but i don`t know one person who would run into the dealership and buy a new Yaris because of its success in WRC. Especially when you take into account things that matter...taxes, equipment, economy, warranty, monthly payment etc. Ofc there are some, but compared to the teams budget vs the profit from manuf. it and spare parts...
    Last edited by Tarmop; 9th November 2018 at 14:38.

Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarmop View Post
    Subaru is anyway on a different level and good cars like STIs are honoured also today, second (4. 5th hand) with JDM verisons imported etc...much like any other car with a normal price tag and performance, regardless of its brand, but i don`t know one person who would run into the dealership and buy a new Yaris because of its success in WRC. Especially when you take into account things that matter...taxes, equipment, economy, warranty, monthly payment etc. Ofc there are some, but compared to the teams budget vs the profit from manuf. it and spare parts...
    They wouldn't use the WRC to gain exposure if they didn't think they were getting adequate return from it. They all do their sums. Some think it's a good investment and some (Ford as an example) don't.

Peugeot reckoned that the 206 WRC car accounted for 12% of 206 sales in Europe (granted - a different era, but still an incredible figure).

5. Likes: Rally Power (9th November 2018)
    Liked 490 Times in 250 Posts
    I've seen a lot of these N Performance Hyundais around in recent weeks in the UK, usually with the blue-grey WRC colouring. I think their brand image is improving. Obviously, not exclusively with WRC, but if WRC helps convert some 'petrolheads' opinions of the brand, they will likely be 'influencers' within a circle, so it's hard not to draw a minor correlation.

Is there a sporty model of the C3 or the Yaris?
    aka Rodger Davies

7. Likes: sonnybobiche (9th November 2018)
    Liked 359 Times in 191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dodge33cymru View Post
    No (C3), Yes (Yaris)

Liked 290 Times in 113 Posts
    Anybody watch the Australia preview? There's a segment where they're talking about an FIA delegation sent to Japan. In the film we can see the Japanese, Ciesla, Mouton, LEHTINEN, a few others, but no Matton. Lehtinen, from what I recall, was expected to get the FIA Rallies director job before Matton swept in at the last second.

Anybody know anything more about this?

Liked 388 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dodge33cymru View Post
    I've seen a lot of these N Performance Hyundais around in recent weeks in the UK, usually with the blue-grey WRC colouring. I think their brand image is improving. Obviously, not exclusively with WRC, but if WRC helps convert some 'petrolheads' opinions of the brand, they will likely be 'influencers' within a circle, so it's hard not to draw a minor correlation.

Toyota Yaris GRMN (gazoo racing something or other)
    1.8 litre supercharged engine as found in Lotus Elise, Sachs suspension, white body colour with graphics that have a hint of WRC car about it, so possibly the most rally *inspired* car that's been produced for a while.

* In essence, not execution.

11. Likes: sonnybobiche (9th November 2018)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    https://rallysportmag.com/interviews...lly-australia/

Nice interviews with the Toyota drivers. Lappi's recent bad mood could also be partially explained by him missing the family.

Liked 649 Times in 311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sonnybobiche View Post
    Anybody watch the Australia preview? There's a segment where they're talking about an FIA delegation sent to Japan. In the film we can see the Japanese, Ciesla, Mouton, LEHTINEN, a few others, but no Matton. Lehtinen, from what I recall, was expected to get the FIA Rallies director job before Matton swept in at the last second.

Anybody know anything more about this?
    I believe Jarmo Lehtinen is working for WRC Promoter these days.

14. Likes: sonnybobiche (20th November 2018)
    Liked 97 Times in 46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rallyfiend View Post
    I believe Jarmo Lehtinen is working for WRC Promoter these days.
    In a what kind of position?

16. Likes: sonnybobiche (20th November 2018)