Page 196 of 237 FirstFirst ... 96146186194195196197198206 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,960 of 2367
    Liked 1,170 Times in 791 Posts
    I have watched Le Mans last 10 or so rounds, I didn't notice hybrid technology made any negative sound impression, actually the onboards were sounding quite nice and this with the impression of the speed was great. I'm little disappointed with formula-E sound tho. But I don't like very much this type of "formula" races so that's probably not a reliable argument. "Bar talk"...
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

Liked 801 Times in 417 Posts
    Sound is the 2nd most important factor in rallying...1st would be speed. Would even anyone show up to watch noiseless cars blasting through the forest?

How would you even come to a thought that noise is not important?

3. Likes: Fast Eddie WRC (26th July 2018)
    Liked 2,261 Times in 892 Posts
    I'm most concerned about the safety implications of almost silent WRC cars. I don't see how rallies could remain in their current format, with spectators walking along stages etc. Seems they would become far more locked down in the future.
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

5. Likes: Fast Eddie WRC (26th July 2018)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
    I'm most concerned about the safety implications of almost silent WRC cars. I don't see how rallies could remain in their current format, with spectators walking along stages etc. Seems they would become far more locked down in the future.
    Walking on the road is forbidden in WRC rallies anyway

Liked 2,261 Times in 892 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Well yes there's the rule. And then there's the reality.
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

8. Likes: AndyRAC (25th July 2018),BleAivano (28th July 2018),dimviii (26th July 2018),MartijnS (25th July 2018),pantealex (26th July 2018),Rallyper (26th July 2018)
    Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post

And they won't do it twice..
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

10. Likes: nafpaktos (26th July 2018)
    Liked 777 Times in 419 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    The things that get the most reaction from rally spectators are spectacular driver commitment (driving on/over the limit) and the sound of the cars. Not talking about WRC specifically but rallying in general.

Exciting noise is important for the emotional involvement of spectators - just like a movie needs the right music and good sound effects to make an audience feel involved, so does motorsport...
    Oh c'mon. Nothing will ever sound as good as the S1 Quattro ever again so why bother. I am fairly sure that nobody except for enthusiasts watch the sport for the noise and today's turbo rally cars will never sound good unless you build regulations specifically for this end. The restrictor prevents high revs which is widely associated with good noise. The S2000s were the last to actually sound good.

Hybrid technology put to the test in what is arguably the second toughest Motorsport series on the planet after rally raid (and the toughest popular one) is something that could for attract manufacturers for sure. It just requires the regulations to be written in a way that it won't be expensive. The R5 regs modified with the current aero regs should do pretty much that.

Casual fans are interested in "cool" looking cars (and let's be honest the current crop aren't great in that respect even though I personally love the hatchback type), lots of manufacturers so they can follow their manufacturer or their driver, and that's pretty much it.

Post group B, I think most will agree that rallying was the best mid 90s to early 2000s and especially 2001 with 7 manufacturers involved, good looking cars like the Subaru, the 206 etc etc. Sound is secondary.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Didn't Citroen ran a hybrid C4 wrc years back ?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Liked 1,446 Times in 828 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pokey2014 View Post
    Didn't Citroen ran a hybrid C4 wrc years back ?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    Norway 2009, as a demonstration.
    Only you know your true potential.
    This year we rally #ForCraig

Liked 9,312 Times in 4,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itix View Post
    Oh c'mon. Nothing will ever sound as good as the S1 Quattro ever again so why bother. I am fairly sure that nobody except for enthusiasts watch the sport for the noise and today's turbo rally cars will never sound good unless you build regulations specifically for this end. The restrictor prevents high revs which is widely associated with good noise. The S2000s were the last to actually sound good.

Hybrid technology put to the test in what is arguably the second toughest Motorsport series on the planet after rally raid (and the toughest popular one) is something that could for attract manufacturers for sure. It just requires the regulations to be written in a way that it won't be expensive. The R5 regs modified with the current aero regs should do pretty much that.

Casual fans are interested in "cool" looking cars (and let's be honest the current crop aren't great in that respect even though I personally love the hatchback type), lots of manufacturers so they can follow their manufacturer or their driver, and that's pretty much it.

Post group B, I think most will agree that rallying was the best mid 90s to early 2000s and especially 2001 with 7 manufacturers involved, good looking cars like the Subaru, the 206 etc etc. Sound is secondary.
    I cant agree with this at all.

Casual fans might think the WRC's look cool but that will be more when they see them in photos or in service.

But when they are in action, what impresses is the speed and sliding, and definitely the NOISE.

When they can hear a WRC car coming from a couple of miles away, then getting louder and louder, it really builds the excitement and anticipation.

(Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSVm...ature=youtu.be ... then watch again with the sound off !)
    Last edited by Fast Eddie WRC; 26th July 2018 at 15:13.
    #M-SPORTER

15. Likes: GravelBen (26th July 2018)