Page 119 of 123 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,190 of 1226

Thread: Turkey 2018

Liked 3,791 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    It's not strange at all. The biggest stress for the whole drivetrain comes at the start from zero speed. I would say that majority of drivestahfts and diffs get broken during starts or in first gear corners.
    I though it was strange right after service if it was to be caused by an impact or wear. But I have no idea how much diagnostics they do in service (and how many sensors they have to monitor the health).

If it was just caused by a hidden manufacturing defect or something like that I get that it's not strange.
    Last edited by mknight; 16th September 2018 at 20:28.

Liked 1,883 Times in 736 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    I though it was strange if it was to be caused by an impact or wear. But I have no idea how much diagnostics they do in service (and how many sensors they have to monitor the health).

If it was just caused by a hidden manufacturing defect or something like that I get that it's not strange.
    Could maybe have something to do with them running the car higher than normal, causes more stress on the drive shaft joints due to the angle they are at.

Just out of interest, did anyone on here manage to drive the stages in a rental?
    "Die with memories, not with dreams" Scott McIsaac
    http://www.motorsportfilmer.net

Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Indreq View Post
    i am wondering if this was good thing or bad that in addition to being twisty, rough roads were also quite narrow. I believe Latvala mentioned before event that due to narrow roads there are less options to avoid things and choose other lines.
    Actually, the parts I’ve mentioned (after a quick check on onboards) were quite narrow (the second is where Evans/Ostberg drama took place), resulting on a harsh combination of deep roots and big stones.

From this interview (only parts related to the topic translated by me): https://sport.idnes.cz/jan-kopecky-t...motorsport_tof
    Who am I to question Kopecky words, but from the onboards anyone can see that the most problematic sections of Friday stages weren’t that long and Saturday or Sunday SS’s were far less rough. What probably made his life harder was having to deal with a permanent rocky surface, once WRC2 tyres are still looking to be more prone to punctures.
    Rally addict since 1982

Liked 16,087 Times in 6,980 Posts
    or in first gear corners.
    specially with a lot of steering.

5. Likes: pantealex (17th September 2018)
    Liked 11,150 Times in 4,426 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    I though it was strange right after service if it was to be caused by an impact or wear. But I have no idea how much diagnostics they do in service (and how many sensors they have to monitor the health).

Well, I think that there is no way how to find some internal cracks in the material during service stop because You can't do an X-Ray or ultrasonic scan there. You have to trust Your experience. The thing is that if there is a crack in the material already initiated it will most likely result in a breakage when there is the highest load. That is when there is the highest torque (acceleration on first gear from zero speed) or when there is high torque combined with an extreme angle of the driveshaft joint (full steering at jump landing as the most extreme case).

Quote Originally Posted by dimviii View Post
    Yes, I know that on asphalt with gr.N Civic You can nearly brake the driveshaft at will...
    Last edited by Mirek; 16th September 2018 at 21:10.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 189 Times in 74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dimviii View Post
    i am driving competitively off-road and there sure way to break driveshaft or diff is when slipping tire suddenly finds traction. Especially on low gears when lot of torque is applied. Could be similar thing on 1st gear corners also in rally - quite slowly rotating tires at full engine power (= huge torque applied) and if thread catches at some edge of embedded rock then it easily may break something. At higher speeds torque is substantially smaller. And torque is what breaks things.

Liked 189 Times in 74 Posts
    Yes, I know that on asphalt with gr.N Civic You can nearly brake the driveshaft at will...
    True. Strangely, when i did some light hobby-rallying 2003-2007 (FWD Kadett GSI, 190hp) then most driveshafts i broke during winter, on spikes (swedish rally tire). Perhaps because i drove very little on tarmac...

Liked 629 Times in 347 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post

I also have to say I like the idea of having one slower and rougher rally in the calendar. The team with the most durable car can shine, and also drivers who can manage a more sensible speed.
    100% agree! Rally is not a circuit racing and sometimes you need to lift the right leg....tactical approach.

10. Likes: AndyRAC (17th September 2018),COD (17th September 2018),er88 (17th September 2018),sonnybobiche (18th September 2018)
    Liked 12,206 Times in 5,240 Posts
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

Liked 2,836 Times in 1,610 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ucci View Post
    100% agree! Rally is not a circuit racing and sometimes you need to lift the right leg....tactical approach.
    Having said that, you must consider the small amount of competitors. Only those having enough money to spend on a car in an one off rally, more or less useless after such rally.

There´s been much talk like black and white. I´m not against different kinds of rallies, but much of what have been seen from Turkey isn´t in favour for more of this hard ad ruff kind of rallies.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...