Page 117 of 123 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117118119 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,170 of 1226

Thread: Turkey 2018

Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Congrats to Tanak, Jarveoja and Toyota. Nice job from Neuville on the PS and despite the silly off it will be hard to forget Ogier epic win on SS10; what a show! Overall, it’s great to see we’ll probably have a big title fight till the end of this season last stage.

Btw, those complaining about Ogier or Neuville getting good results when they are more cautious in some events should look at the way Tanak behaved on this one and stop the BS. Rally it isn’t about luck; it’s about merit and Tanak, like Ogier or Neuville in other occasions, had the merit to avoid troubles and be in a good place to benefit from others mistakes.
    Rally addict since 1982

2. Likes: AnttiL (16th September 2018),cali (16th September 2018),EstWRC (16th September 2018),jparker (16th September 2018),MentalParadox (16th September 2018),NickRally (17th September 2018),pantealex (16th September 2018),tommeke_B (16th September 2018)
    Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    My 2 cents on the rally roughness: it has been overrated. People perception was somehow influenced by some random images or footage (since the SD), the number of retirements or tire punctures (forgetting that some of them occurred in smoother roads and most punctures were due to WRC2 proved tire weakness) and the use of long twisty stages (which are tough by definition).

This said, there’s no doubt that Friday stages were quite rough (as many others in the WRC) but some sections (mainly mid of SS2/5 and end of SS3/6) were simply unbearable and should never been part of a modern rally; let’s hope next year those will be avoided.
    Rally addict since 1982

4. Likes: AnttiL (16th September 2018),jparker (16th September 2018),pantealex (16th September 2018)
    Liked 189 Times in 74 Posts
    i am wondering if this was good thing or bad that in addition to being twisty, rough roads were also quite narrow. I believe Latvala mentioned before event that due to narrow roads there are less options to avoid things and choose other lines. But i believe this also kept speed down and at low speed drivers have more chance to react to stuff and avoid big problems. Similar roughness at 100+kmh is quite a bit more dangerous to car than at 60kmh.

6. Likes: pantealex (16th September 2018),Rally Power (16th September 2018),Rallyper (16th September 2018),steve.mandzij (16th September 2018)
    Liked 2,836 Times in 1,610 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PLuto View Post
    Yes, anyone young enough can enter JWRC... With Emils experience he was biggest favourite of JWRC, but I expected he will be more masterful.
    One could think that he should outpace all others. But there´s so many factors here. In my opinion this is/was his last chance of anything on an international basis. He took it, handled it and won. Nothing is done until it´s done. And he did it.

With so many talented youngsters it´s not drive and win.

However he did manage it and in the last round (I hate to say it) he was the guy who managed speed and consistency and endurance in the best way under the really hard circumstances this rally offered for these R2 cars.

Very well deserved victory for Emil, and it will be interesting seeing him next year. Hopefully without the heavy economic pressure he will perform like the pace he has.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

8. Likes: Micke_VOC (16th September 2018)
    Liked 2,836 Times in 1,610 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SubaruNorway View Post
    Talking about Emils´ performance...
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 11,150 Times in 4,426 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post
    My 2 cents on the rally roughness: it has been overrated. People perception was somehow influenced by some random images or footage (since the SD), the number of retirements or tire punctures (forgetting that some of them occurred in smoother roads and most punctures were due to WRC2 proved tire weakness) and the use of long twisty stages (which are tough by definition).
    From this interview (only parts related to the topic translated by me): https://sport.idnes.cz/jan-kopecky-t...motorsport_tof

Question: How difficult was the Turkish rally which returned to the championship after eight years?

Kopecký: I have mixed feelings from it. It was an extreme event which I didn't enjoy a lot. One is afraid if the car endure that even when Fabia is really tough and can endure a lot. I was thinking about tyres, not to puncture them or wear them to the canvas. It's not the most enjoyable driving then. Everybody wants to come back to the old times of rally but those are long gone. The rules are different, the cars are different and the conditions as well. Who compares that doesn't know what he's talking about.

Question: What was crucial for the success in Turkey?

Kopecký: To get to the finish one needs some racing, thinking and luck. There was not much of racing, only in sections which were clean and it was clear that there was no risk of damage to the car. That was maximum one half of the event.

Question: Some drivers called the event a survival. Do You agree?

Kopecký: For sure it was a difficult rally. it wasn't possible to go flat out. In that case the risk of retirement was enormous.

Question: In WRC You won in the category for the fifth time of five starts. What's behind that?

Kopecký: A big thanks belongs to Škoda. They built a really robust car which has nearly no technical problems. We haven't had any technical issue which would cause a retirement. I can't remember something like that. I am enormously happy about those five victories. But again I have to repeat that I have very mixed feelings from Turkey. Already after the test on Monday the car looked after fourty kilometers like after a whole rally. That's just braking the machinery. Novadays when everyone tries to save money such an event is senseless. I don't want to dissimulate, I didn't enjoy the weekend very much. I felt myself more comfortable in all previous events than here.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

11. Likes: Jarek Z (16th September 2018)
    Liked 353 Times in 209 Posts
    I hope I wasn’t missed in the forum but this rally was awesome to attend! Minimal spectators but excellent access points for those who attended.

The scenery was epic and of course the competition!

Who would have thought Tanak to win again and the two other boys out!

GG: "I'm stinky! I needa good shower and nice bowl of pasta!"

13. Likes: Micke_VOC (16th September 2018)
    Liked 12,206 Times in 5,240 Posts
    WUUUHHUUUUUUUUU! wow, couple of years ago I didnt even dream about 3 wins in a row.

He didnt have the speed this weekend but the patience really paid off!

Im ok with ONLY one rally in the calendar being rough one, something different to others. But if I could choose between Turkey or Poland, Turkey - New Zealand...then I would definitely choose Poland or New Zealand.
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

15. Likes: AnttiL (16th September 2018),Jarek Z (16th September 2018),Mirek (16th September 2018),pantealex (16th September 2018)
    Liked 16,087 Times in 6,980 Posts

17. Likes: Mirek (16th September 2018),pantealex (16th September 2018),the sniper (16th September 2018)
    Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    From this interview (only parts related to the topic translated by me): https://sport.idnes.cz/jan-kopecky-t...motorsport_tof

Booo fawkin Hooooo.....Maybe he should switch to asfalt circuits...no bumps..

This bullsh*t "the cars have changed" drives me nuts..Yes that have changed, they now have un-godly amount of suspension travel and extrmemly high quality suspension---I manufacture suspension I know what it was like 20-25 years ago..220mm travel max..
    So the cars have GREAT suspension and body shells they spend 5 to 7 times more man-hours reinforcing and caging and modifying....

And this man complains about "it's too rough" ?
    What the fawk?

What does he want? Every event identical? Perfectly perfect stages every km so its merely full gas all the time..

Yes the WRC has changed...its full of softies and whingers.
    Closeted circuit racers maybe..
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

19. Likes: MentalParadox (16th September 2018),sonnybobiche (16th September 2018),steve.mandzij (16th September 2018),Tauri_J (16th September 2018),the sniper (16th September 2018)