Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Both occasions refer to super specials, but in a way it's true. I just naturally skip them because it doesn't really tell anything if you win a mickey mouse stage in Mexico

Liked 12,153 Times in 5,211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Both occasions refer to super specials, but in a way it's true. I just naturally skip them because it doesn't really tell anything if you win a mickey mouse stage in Mexico
    i get what you mean but in the statistic books it goes as a first stage win, mickey mouse or not.

Tänaks first "real" stage win was then in Portugal 2012, SS4, his 5th event.

Neuvilles Argentina 2012, SS13, also his 5th event.
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

3. Likes: AnttiL (15th September 2019),cali (15th September 2019),pantealex (16th September 2019)
    Liked 1,995 Times in 793 Posts
    You don't have to be fast on your first WRC outing, or on your tenth, if you have the budget to "gather experience" for a couple of seasons. I wouldn't be so sure that's the case with Tidemand, so he better show something and do it soon. Yes, the competition is extremely tight right now in the main class, but still, for a driver with Pontus' reputation these first three rallies must be classified as disappointments. At the moment Tidemand reminds me of Tapio Laukkanen - Finn who could match anyone in F2, but just couldn't come to grips with WRC machinery.
    ku ois neljä pyörää ku vetäis ni ois vähän eri sekunnit kyllä pätkillä, sen mä takaan

5. Likes: AnttiL (15th September 2019),pantealex (16th September 2019),RS (16th September 2019)
    Liked 1,544 Times in 663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper View Post
    I think you mix up different drivers situations.

Some drivers have full backup finacially and just have to concentrate on driving without thinking of consequences. Some have funding problems and gets random drives and still expected to be close to the top.

Turkey was PT first gravel event in WRC17 car. What did we expect? Honestly, I did expect him to be even closer. But thinking it over one more time, you have to see the whole picture. Turkey, one of the hardest events, and we want PT to be top five?
    That wasn´t fair to expect.
    He needed miles and miles in that car. He got it now. We have to wait for Wales and then judge him.

But still - all guys in WRC have had so much more drives before they started getting proper times, believe me.
    Tell me just who had full financial backup and had not to worry about consequences excl. wealthy norwegians??

What I'm telling you is that the likes like Neuville, Ogier, Tänak and Latvala were setting fast times right out of the box and actually cannot remember anyone who was setting uncompetitive times and went on to challenge podiums and wins on constant basis. Just the history of rallying does not back up your theory Per.

I'm not writing him off but even Greensmith is looking more promising at the moment. Hopefully we can see Pontus's real speed in Wales, I really really hope so.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

7. Likes: RS (16th September 2019)
    Liked 1,544 Times in 663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EstWRC View Post
    i get what you mean but in the statistic books it goes as a first stage win, mickey mouse or not.

Tänaks first "real" stage win was then in Portugal 2012, SS4, his 5th event.

Neuvilles Argentina 2012, SS13, also his 5th event.
    And these are stage wins. If my memory serves well they were matching top speed or being close to top pace right from the box. Yes, usually if a young gun goes berzerk they crash. And oh boy they crashed but the speed was there from the start for anyone to see.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

9. Likes: EstWRC (15th September 2019)
    Liked 706 Times in 333 Posts
    Unless he has budget for quite a few more outings after Wales, he could do with showing something in Wales. He has shown nothing in terms of pace in 3 rallies so far....

11. Likes: pantealex (16th September 2019)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarek Z View Post
    Now it is actually impossible to drive a current WRC car as a private driver.
    Not true. Was only for 2017 (and still Østberg ran a private car, only entered always by M-Sport)

Liked 179 Times in 70 Posts
    Not true. Was only for 2017 (and still Østberg ran a private car, only entered always by M-Sport)
    Maybe not impossible, but definitely far more difficult than before 2017. There was a good interview with Prokop abour a year ago, and he mentioned some challenges with the new cars. His team had always ran a private WRC spec car, but apparently with the new spec there is a massive ramp up in the costs. All the carbon fibre aero which gets torn off all the time apparently means massive extra maintenance costs compared to previous spec cars, so running WRC spec now becomes almost impossible for anyone except the manufacturers.

Prokop's team joined together with Ostberg's, trying to make it work, but as you can see, it didn't last very long.

Quote Originally Posted by USER47 View Post
    Maybe not impossible, but definitely far more difficult than before 2017.
    That is true. It's simply more expensive. But not prohibited by the rules like in 2017.

Another thing might be that the competition across the field is a lot tighter than before. There's now four factory teams and all their drivers could have podium pace. The cars are also more reliable, as we saw in Turkey. Previously a private driver could expect to get a top 6 position by just finishing the rally with no issues.
    Last edited by AnttiL; 16th September 2019 at 06:51.

15. Likes: Rallyper (16th September 2019)
    Liked 2,832 Times in 1,606 Posts
    Neuville first WRC drives in 2012:
    - Monte 5th on SS3, crash on SS4
    - Sweden good times only on super specials
    - Mexico top five times on the first stages

Tänak first WRC drives in 2011-2012
    - Wales 6th on first gravel stage. Best stage result 3rd, 6th overall
    - Monte 8th overall, best stage result 4th
    - Sweden mostly out of pace, best stage results 6th and 5th
    - Mexico 3rd on the power stage, 5th overall

Ogier won his first stage in a WRC car in Wales 2008.

Suninen won his fifth stage in a WRC car in Poland 2017

Lappi won multiple stages and the power stage in his second rally in a WRC car in Sardegna 2017
    Yeah. You are good at statistics. Leaving out everything except times...
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...