Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 203
  1. #141
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    228
    Like
    23
    Liked 187 Times in 92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper View Post
    Yeah. People who judge him only from two rallies this winter don´t know much what it takes to be fast on top WRC level.
    I agree, which is why I said a while back that maybe in hindsight he would have chosen two events with more stable conditions to give himself a better chance to shine, Portugal - Sardinia for example.
    Monte and a slushy Sweden were hard for anybody, let alone someone trying to learn the car.

  2. #142
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,221
    Like
    249
    Liked 1,849 Times in 1,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by doubled1978 View Post
    I agree, which is why I said a while back that maybe in hindsight he would have chosen two events with more stable conditions to give himself a better chance to shine, Portugal - Sardinia for example.
    Monte and a slushy Sweden were hard for anybody, let alone someone trying to learn the car.
    Exactly my thoughts. While he couldn't know how Sweden would look like 2 months beforehand, choosing to spend the money on Monte doesn't look like very good decision. Even worse is off course that he didn't seem to have a plan ready for a gravel outing later in the year.

  3. #143
    Senior Member Rallyper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Östhammar, Sweden
    Posts
    5,781
    Like
    3,203
    Liked 1,672 Times in 975 Posts
    It´s not about chosing two events. It´s about running as many rallies you get. Two isn´t enough. That´s what I´, trying to say.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

  4. #144
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    97
    Like
    237
    Liked 79 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper View Post
    Yeah. People who judge him only from two rallies this winter don´t know much what it takes to be fast on top WRC level.
    Exactly.
    Take Sweden - First stages were obviously tough and conditions extremely difficult for someone who wasn't used to the car.
    Already stage 5 though, after correcting some issues with the car, he was up to speed and had 4th time, stage 6-7 he was driving better with stage times on par with Lappi and quicker than some of the drivers with many seasons in the car.
    Saturday, again struggling with changes in diff, until the afternoon where his speed is close to the WRC-rivals.
    Sunday is disappointing, had hoped for more.
    But all in all, he didn't want to make mistakes, he wanted to have a mature drive, get a good feeling and get to the goal.

    Gus Greensmiths performance in Portugal is a lot like Pontus' in Sweden, although I think people had expected more from WRC2 champion, including me. Hope he delivers in one of the two rallies that still hopefully will come this year.

  5. Likes: Rallyper (25th June 2019)
  6. #145
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    7,801
    Like
    1,178
    Liked 1,517 Times in 808 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Too expensive to bin it, I guess.
    They are insured aren’t they? Or is it like road car insurance where there is an excess to pay?

  7. #146
    Senior Member AnttiL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    4,855
    Like
    4,409
    Liked 5,129 Times in 2,189 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RS View Post
    They are insured aren’t they? Or is it like road car insurance where there is an excess to pay?
    AFAIK certain insurances are optional

  8. #147
    Senior Member Rallyper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Östhammar, Sweden
    Posts
    5,781
    Like
    3,203
    Liked 1,672 Times in 975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RS View Post
    They are insured aren’t they? Or is it like road car insurance where there is an excess to pay?
    For sure. Fifteen years ago it was more than 5000 Euros to pay even if the car had insurance.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

  9. #148
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    7,801
    Like
    1,178
    Liked 1,517 Times in 808 Posts
    Pretty underwhelming performance by Pontus again in Turkey, but at least he made it to the end, and this rally isn’t really the best one to show the speed.

    But GB will be his 4th event in the Fiesta and I think it’s fair to say we should start to expect some more by then.

  10. Likes: er88 (15th September 2019),pantealex (15th September 2019)
  11. #149
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    193
    Like
    24
    Liked 157 Times in 74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RS View Post
    Pretty underwhelming performance by Pontus again in Turkey, but at least he made it to the end, and this rally isn’t really the best one to show the speed.

    But GB will be his 4th event in the Fiesta and I think it’s fair to say we should start to expect some more by then.
    Just a reminder, that he was 1st on the road saturday-sunday. Hard to expect really good times from that position. I think it's "job-well-done" rally for him.

  12. Likes: Entertainer (15th September 2019)
  13. #150
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,221
    Like
    249
    Liked 1,849 Times in 1,021 Posts
    His performance here certainly won't make anyone hire him.

    Sure last on the road on Friday probably wasn't that much of an advantage, still Lappi managed to lead from similar road position.

    He really needs to do a few competetive stage times in GB to show he can drive fast.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •