Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast
    Liked 2,242 Times in 1,200 Posts
    I am pleased to see Pontus back but I’m not sure I buy his reasoning about why he struggled. Wasn’t Lappi pretty quick straight away when he stepped up, even winning after a few events? Ok, I expect he had a lot more testing but the difference was night and day.

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RS View Post
    I am pleased to see Pontus back but I’m not sure I buy his reasoning about why he struggled. Wasn’t Lappi pretty quick straight away when he stepped up, even winning after a few events? Ok, I expect he had a lot more testing but the difference was night and day.
    In theory Lappi could have tested a lot in Jyväskylä since Toyota had unlimited testing on a vast area of roads, but I've understood he didn't do that much of testing during the early season he was off the car.

And then we have Suninen who won his fifth stage in a WRC car, and was close to finishing the rally at 4th, and close to finishing the next rally at 2nd. Most likely he had only one limited day of testing for each event.

I expected Tidemand to do well since he was so equal with these guys in 2016.

As for Greensmith, he may have also done some extra testing in Greystoke, but other than that usually test days are pretty publicly covered. He had one test already in late 2018 or something, and posted a video of it.

3. Likes: RS (15th January 2020)
    Liked 1,474 Times in 573 Posts
    Imo, speed from the first meters with a new car, says a lot about the talent level of that driver...

Liked 9,355 Times in 4,970 Posts
    I think some can drive an R5 too much, for too long, and it makes it harder to adapt to a current WRC. They are such a different beast needing a very different driving-style.

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    I think some can drive an R5 too much, for too long, and it makes it harder to adapt to a current WRC. They are such a different beast needing a very different driving-style.
    Gus explained this in the Absolute Rally podcast last year, saying it's actually easier to drive WRC but you just need to have a lot of confidence to use the power and aero.

Liked 11,151 Times in 4,427 Posts
    I think that this is individual. Someone can adapt fast, someone needs more time, someone can't adapt ever. It's like that with everything not only with driving WRC.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

8. Likes: pantealex (19th January 2020),Sulland (15th January 2020)
    Liked 713 Times in 337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal the 2nd View Post
    Probably helps with a decent budget behind you as well if you are paying for the carbon fibre you knock off like Gus did quite a lot last year..
    Exactly, Lappi didn’t have this problem but Sunninen did. I would say that Sunninen showed speed straight away, but he was a bit ragged in those couple of events, it paid off tho as he ended up with a drive.

Liked 1,131 Times in 605 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal the 2nd View Post
    Probably helps with a decent budget behind you as well if you are paying for the carbon fibre you knock off like Gus did quite a lot last year..
    This.
    If you can't afford to bin it, you can't have the confidence to go fast.

11. Likes: MTA (15th January 2020),Rallyper (15th January 2020)
    Liked 2,839 Times in 1,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post
    This.
    If you can't afford to bin it, you can't have the confidence to go fast.
    Like I also tried to explain one year ago.

Btw. Suninen was instantly fast, yes, but has he progressed much after that?
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 9,355 Times in 4,970 Posts
    Pontus has spent the last 5 years in R5 cars. Dont most top driver's step-up to to WRC sooner if they have the chance/budget ?

Adapting must be easier if your driving-style hasnt become really ingrained in one kind of car.

14. Likes: Rallyper (15th January 2020)