Page 46 of 160 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696146 ... LastLast
    Liked 570 Times in 174 Posts
    btw Estonian workshop is ready to take cars in, these WRC-s dont go to Puuppola anymore

2. Likes: tr4m (20th August 2018)
    Liked 353 Times in 209 Posts
    Hey NOT

Still think the Toyota are a “Barn” team?
    GG: "I'm stinky! I needa good shower and nice bowl of pasta!"

4. Likes: pantealex (20th August 2018)
    Liked 227 Times in 119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GigiGalliNo1 View Post
    Hey NOT

Still think the Toyota are a “Barn” team?
    Can't believe I'm plus oneing a post from GigiGalliNo1, but..........^^^+1

6. Likes: GigiGalliNo1 (20th August 2018),pantealex (20th August 2018)
    Liked 148 Times in 42 Posts
    Before Rally Germany, Esapekka Lappi gave Estonian newspaper Postimees an interview (which was quite Ott-oriented, but should come as no surprise). He seems quite happy in the team, with the team and with the car.

Original (paywall) article by Postimees

PM in Germany. Esapekka Lappi: without mistakes I could be in front of Ott overall

Toyota's pilot Esapekka Lappi, who surprised the rally world with a Rally Finland win last season, has only reached the podium once this season, yet still holds fourth place overall in the Championship.
    In an interview to Postimees, Lappi notes that if needed, he'd be ready to give up a position to help Ott Tänak's Championship fight.

I remember I interviewed you before the last years Rally Portugal. Back then it was your WRC debut in the WRC car. You were serious and confident and the competition ended for you in 10th place. 15 months have passed and looking from afar, you seem unchanged. How much have you actually progressed?

I'd like to hope, a lot. I have had a lot of hours in the WRC car, developed myself in all aspects, I'm more competitive than a year and a half ago.

Last year you surprised the rally world with a Rally Finland victory, which was only your fourth outing in a WRC car. Later there have been no wins, in addition you have reached the podium just once.
    Time after the win turned to be complicated. This year, in Sardinia, we did finish in third, but talking about this season, I'm happy with my speed. I've made a couple mistakes and getting along with the car turned out to be harder than expected. It's part of the game. Yes, there have not been any more wins, but to be honest, the first one came too early. It was a big surprise to me as well that I had the victory all ready in the first season.

At the beginning of the year, everyone was asking what will Ott bring to the Toyota team. Now, after half of the season has passed, what has he brought to the team besides two wins?
    He joined us from Ford with a great amount of knowledge. He brought ideas, which we have tried to develop in Toyota. Some have even been implemented. I dare to say that our car has taken a clear step forward a lot thanks to Ott. And now it seems he can manage the car best, because wins just keep on coming. He has taken more stage wins this season than anyone else. He drives the car exactly as needed. Jari-Matti and I are not comparable at the moment.

Looking at the points table, we find you on the fourth row, in the team you are second to best. Last season you finished in the bottom of top ten. At the same time, we can't forget, unlike to last year, you are doing full season this year.
    I'm pretty happy with the current position. I didn't get any points in Finland but had I gotten any, it wouldn't have changed my position in the overall. Had I not made mistakes at the start of the season, I could even be ahead of Ott in the points table. Of course, Ott also made mistakes, lost points in Portugal and Sardinia and that's why we got close to him. Form goes up and down for everyone. I'd be happy if we could finish this season in the top 5.

How do you get along with Ott outside the competition? It looks like you match well.
    I dare to say we are friends. We joke around. He's easy to get along with, despite the situation. I even visited him in Estonia, when he organized the rally day. He's a good friend. A man who loves his family and at the end of the day, that's most important.

Is it right to say that Ott is the leading driver of Toyota at the moment?
    Yes, he's earned this status with honor. He's clearly the fastest at the moment.

The season is reaching to a point where teams may start to give out team orders thinking about the championship fight. How would you go about an order to let Ott past you?
    It does look like we're getting closer to that point. Of course I agree to help Ott if there's any benefit. He's clearly the only one in our team who still has even the slightest chance to fight for the title. I don't care if I'm fourth or fifth at the end of the season. The only thing that will depend on it is my starting position in Rally Monte-Carlo. I'm watching with excitement to see whether Ott will rise into the title fight. In any case, I'm ready to sacrifice my result for Ott's success.

Last season, Ott played the role of the second violin to Sebastien Ogier in Ford team. Has Toyota decided on the leading and second driver by now? If so, what have been his tips to you?
    When Ott and I spend time, we don't talk about the stuff like who's the leading driver, etc. We know what the situation is and what it could develop into. I feel like we respect each other and there are no situations where Ott would come and tell me: "You're now the second driver, do this and that..". We don't have it this way. His teachings come to me in a rather different way. We don't talk about how I should do or go about something.

What is your target for last five rallies? Win, finish in podium position? As you said, you don't care if you finish fourth or fifth overall.
    Of course I would like to reach first three as many times as possible. We even have a good chance for that in Germany. Toyota has proved itself to be good on tarmac and I'm quite confident because of that. Last year we managed to find rather decent speed of the last day of Rally Germany. I don't see any reason why we shouldn't be able to finish with a good result.

What will happen to your future?
    I'll definitely be in the start line next season.

But in which team?
    You'll know soon enough. I have no reason to leave Toyota - car is able to win, we are constantly developing it. Even the team itself is perfect, so I see no reason why I should leave.

8. Likes: AnttiL (20th August 2018),Hartusvuori (20th August 2018),pantealex (20th August 2018),sindroms (20th August 2018),steve.mandzij (20th August 2018)
    Liked 3,791 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Reading the last part and comparing it with Latvalas answers to Holmes it looks clear that Latvala is leaving and Lappi staying.
    I really do hope they are not getting Ogier, but it starts to smell like that.

I have many, many conspiracy theories regarding this year's silly season and the most realistic one is Latvala leaving to Citroën/M-Sport, depending on Ogier's decision. Probably most far-fetched and rattling one would be Ogier to Toyota. He's been praising Toyota's performance for a while now and he's been quoted saying he's most likely looking for his last contract, decision made purely based on available performance. It would not come as a surprise to me, if Ogier himself approaches Toyota and asks for a drive. Ott definitely and Mäkinen maybe would not want this, but if the Japanese want him or they agree for one season only, he'll get his seat. If Toyota performs well in Turkey, I'm pretty sure that's how it will end up.

I'm well aware that I'll probably bring a s*itstorm upon myself by saying this so early, when not many facts are out, but since the point of a forum is to exchange ideas and views (even far-fetched ones) - why not.

11. Likes: AndyRAC (20th August 2018),pantealex (20th August 2018)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Reading the last part and comparing it with Latvalas answers to Holmes it looks clear that Latvala is leaving and Lappi staying.
    What are you basing this on?

I also just started thinking that it would really fit Ogier's plans to go to Toyota, they would be a wealthy and competitive team, something that M-Sport and Citroen can only offer either. It would also explain the need of one of the current drivers to leave. But it would be horrible for the sport to have two championship contenders in the same team and also horrible for Tänak to be made Ogier's wingman again...and Latvala for sure couldn't play the third violin in that orchestra...
    Last edited by AnttiL; 20th August 2018 at 08:12.

13. Likes: Allez Andruet (20th August 2018),pantealex (20th August 2018),steve.mandzij (20th August 2018),tr4m (20th August 2018)
    Liked 3,791 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    What are you basing this on?..
    1) Latvala says he knows someone will change team and talks elusive about where he will drive.
    2) Joukhi says Latvala has contact but doesn't say where
    3) Makinen mentions how he knows Latvala will be WC one day on Germany after event press conf. Sounds like "good luck in the future" wish for me.
    4) Lappi says he sees no reason to leave and Makinen talks about him being very stable driver (same press conf)

Latvala has won quite a few rallies, so going for WC is the only thing left for him. Unlikely he can do that as 2nd driver.

Who could replace him:

A) Ogier talks about "performance" being most important when picking team next year. (imo this would be terrible for championship). But this could also apply to Citroen who has shown speed both in Finland and in Germany (saturday smooth stages)

B) racerxs sources in Toyota say that Sordo changed his mind about doing full season. So given where the info comes from can he be going to Toyota? It would make sense as he is the best "stable" points scorer available and that would fit perfectly with Tänak and Lappi.

Akio Toyoda comment after Rally Germany: https://toyotagazooracing.com/releas...n_comment.html

Great to see such emotion from someone so high up.

16. Likes: dimviii (20th August 2018),Hartusvuori (20th August 2018),pantealex (20th August 2018)
    Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    I doubt he was as happy this morning after both Toyota cars were DSQ from a 1-2 finish at Silverstone......

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

18. Likes: pantealex (20th August 2018),tr4m (20th August 2018)