Page 130 of 160 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131132140 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,300 of 1591
    Liked 16,095 Times in 6,984 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Andruet View Post
    What I find really strange is that Mäkinen, who is supposed to be the motorsport advisor for the Toyota Company, is saying anything else in public than praising JML for his new appointment. That, for me, definitely tells something. As you can see from the brilliant translation made by AnttiL, Tommi acted (?) like he didn't know about the whole thing and wasn't sure whether JML was the best choice for the role or not. Absolutely incredible. That, in other words, is questioning a decision made by someone higher in the org. chart than you. And - especially when we're talking about a Japanese company - that is quite something. Purely based on today's quotes, I wouldn't predict a lenghty run for Tommi in his new role. We'll see...
    finally somebody (also sniper) who can ''read'' deeper at interviews as the last interview few post above.
    Its obvious that Toyoda stopped to trust Makinen.
    The reason imho maybe is financial.

2. Likes: EstWRC (19th December 2020)
    Liked 12,211 Times in 5,243 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 371 View Post
    Why Tommy was replaced was because of his drinking problem*
    *Is what I have heard. And for me makes sense to see Kaj so often in TV
    Have heard the same + of course other reasons not only that.

Some guys are here giving way too much credit to him for all the stuff.
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

4. Likes: cali (19th December 2020)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the sniper View Post
    - The failure to get the new Yaris WRC launched when the road car version has made such a high profile debut, with marketing based largely on its rally pedigree...
    I thought this project failed because of COVID and banning of all testing in the spring for a while?

6. Likes: Allez Andruet (19th December 2020),pantealex (19th December 2020)
    Liked 3,795 Times in 1,982 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    I thought this project failed because of COVID and banning of all testing in the spring for a while?
    Yet Hyundai developed significant upgrades to I20 in the same period, while Toyota seemed to have stood still and then showed up in Estonia with wrong setup.

Developing aero parts for a current car is different than making a whole new car. You cannot just focus on one element, everything affects everything. Also the homologation process of the whole car would have taken time. Taking 2(?) months off testing probably just delayed the project too much for them to get it finished in time.

9. Likes: Allez Andruet (19th December 2020)
    Liked 1,621 Times in 737 Posts
    Here some thoughts, blue-black-white (estonian) glasses involved.

Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Might this JML stuff be Japanese response to Makinen losing Tanak?
    Quote Originally Posted by er88 View Post
    I don't know why Toyota would care/ hold THAT much of a grudge about losing Tanak - plus seems like that wasn't a total sporting decision anyway from Tanak etc.

They replaced Tanak and got the current 7x world champion, Evans 2nd in the championship and the hottest prospect in the WRC for a long time in Kalle. Tommi is massively responsible for ALL the success they've had, and they haven't missed Tanak (Kalle vs Sordo/Breen/Loeb is the reason they didnt win the manufactures).
    From distance seems, that Tänak had quite good relationship with mr Toyoda. If Toyoda thanked Tommi, he pointed out Tänak's win in Finland as his best emotion. Not Ogier's championship for example.

They got Ogier, but Ogier was not dominant like Tänak was.

Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Also note how vocal Toyoda was that the Yaris (and team?) is "missing something" after Monza.
    This was another "read between lines" example for me, that Toyoda may not be happy with replacing Tänak with Ogier or team decisions in general. In that moment they should promote and congratulate Ogier for winning drivers title and Ogier showed that Toyota is winning car... but got "missing something" instead.

Quote Originally Posted by 371 View Post
    And for me makes sense to see Kaj so often in TV
    Was there any content in Mäkinen's interviews? Just rotating words like absolutely, incredible, brilliant etc. It can be just simple language question.

Japan and loyalty - JML has been fan of Toyota, promoting Toyota and has been loyal to Toyota. Maybe is that simple as that. And maybe some loyalty issue with Mäkinen? Comments on JML as new boss were quite harsh and it's hard to believe, that this style will be ignored by Toyoda.

Liked 191 Times in 108 Posts
    I would be grateful if somebody could explain what JML's actual job (powers and responsibilities) will be. I'm not entirely what is up to him and what is Kaj's decision, or Toyota's.
    - Does he decide what drivers they hire?
    - Does he decide whether to have a driver rotation system?
    - Does he decide who is the third driver in each rally if they do?
    - Would he have input into what tyres a driver uses?
    - Would he be the one issuing team orders, if it happens?
    - Can he fire someone for ignoring them?
    - Does he have final say on R&D priorities?
    - Anything else he does?

Liked 380 Times in 185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EstWRC View Post
    Have heard the same + of course other reasons not only that.
    This forums is the only place I've read/heard about Mäkinen and drinking problems. How isn't this more widely known if it is the case?

13. Likes: WRC1 (19th December 2020)
    Quote Originally Posted by Morte66 View Post
    I would be grateful if somebody could explain what JML's actual job (powers and responsibilities) will be. I'm not entirely what is up to him and what is Kaj's decision, or Toyota's.
    - Does he decide what drivers they hire?
    - Does he decide whether to have a driver rotation system?
    - Does he decide who is the third driver in each rally if they do?
    - Would he have input into what tyres a driver uses?
    - Would he be the one issuing team orders, if it happens?
    - Can he fire someone for ignoring them?
    - Does he have final say on R&D priorities?
    - Anything else he does?
    I would say he's among the decision makers, not being a dictator, but with the final responsibility for any decision.

Also, he will give interviews and be the media person for the team.

15. Likes: Morte66 (21st December 2020),WRC1 (20th December 2020)
    Liked 1,835 Times in 710 Posts
    I was very surprised to hear this appointment and at first it did not make sense at all because essentially he has no experience and is very emotional, but as I read the forum I start to see some possible reasons:
    - they need a shield between the team and the media, a face and for that JML is good, he loves rally and Toyota
    - his loyalty to Toyota which is very important to the Japanese
    - he understands the technical part and could work as a mediator between drivers and engineers
    - the team is set up and working well already (Tommi kept stressing this point too in that interview) so he doesn't need to organize much, just steady the ship and keep the course

As to why Tommi was replaced it could be any of the reasons or some of them together: Tanak relationship, finances, failed car projects, could be drinking - pure speculation - but he was very red faced a couple times in interviews and mumbling his words more than usual.

In the end JML doesn't need to do much actually just work with the team and if i remember correctly he is a good team player so might not be a bad idea after all.

17. Likes: cali (20th December 2020)