Page 92 of 160 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142 ... LastLast
    Liked 11,137 Times in 4,419 Posts
    Actually Subaru layout brings plenty of disadvantages and only few advantages. The boxer engine is huge, heavy, ineffective and all placed in front of the front axle. The lower center of gravity and nice sound can't weight the disadvantages. Also the intercooler location is ineffective, even though it is less prone to being destroyed by ditch excursions.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

2. Likes: cali (10th December 2019),dimviii (9th December 2019),janvanvurpa (15th December 2019)
    Liked 16,087 Times in 6,980 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SubaruNorway View Post
    If you say there are no advantage to it, just watch every test on YT.
    Evo seems to have problems with that on the cars with no front LSD?
    no there is no advantage AT ALL.
    Just compare a subaru and an evo.Period.
    there is no evo with no limited slip diff at front axles.Some early usdm yes,but these ones dont have also the rear ayc/super-ayc who have evos from 1999 and after.

4. Likes: cali (10th December 2019)
    Liked 1,878 Times in 734 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    Actually Subaru layout brings plenty of disadvantages and only few advantages. The boxer engine is huge, heavy, ineffective and all placed in front of the front axle. The lower center of gravity and nice sound can't weight the disadvantages. Also the intercooler location is ineffective, even though it is less prone to being destroyed by ditch excursions.

Still the Impreza has better weight distribution since the gearbox is further to the rear not both at the front as non symmetrical cars like the Evo.

"04 Impreza 58.2/41.8 versus 60.7/39.3 for the Evo 8"
    Last edited by SubaruNorway; 9th December 2019 at 20:30.
    "Die with memories, not with dreams" Scott McIsaac
    http://www.motorsportfilmer.net

That diference doesn't mean much. What is of much higher importance is how far from the center of gravity the weight is placed, especially the portion of weight which sits outside the space between the axles. In that regard Impreza layout isn't good because there is a huge mass in front of the front axle. Not that bad as old I5 Audi Quattro but still not good.

Quattro S1 had weight distribution 50/50 and despite that it was horribly clumsy compared to the nimble Peugeot 205 T16 which had worse weight distribution but its weight was concentrated around the center of gravity while in the Audi it was placed far from it (the massive engine hanging in front was the cherry on top of the cake).

I have forgotten one more disadvantage. With the same vehicle length Subaru layout brings always shorter wheelbase due to the long front overhang.

The key to the handling is moment of inertia. Take a hammer and move it quickly from left to right. Then hold it closse to the iron, do the same and feel the difference. That's why the weight shall be concentrated as close to the center of gravity as possible. Few percent uneven distribution plays a little role compared to the momentum which is the weight multiplied by the distance.
    Last edited by Mirek; 9th December 2019 at 20:48.

7. Likes: cali (10th December 2019)
    Quote Originally Posted by SubaruNorway View Post
    Still the Impreza has better weight distribution since the gearbox is further to the rear not both at the front as non symmetrical cars like the Evo.

"04 Impreza 58.2/41.8 versus 60.7/39.3 for the Evo 8"
    there is no rule that a car with better weight distribution is faster/better than a car with worse weight distribution.
    Yes it helps,but there are plenty of other parameters that counts more.
    for example see evo vs sti.Bone stock both,evo is faster with worse weight distribution.

9. Likes: cali (10th December 2019)
    Liked 388 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    That diference doesn't mean much. What is of much higher importance is how far from the center of gravity the weight is placed, especially the portion of weight which sits outside the space between the axles. In that regard Impreza layout isn't good because there is a huge mass in front of the front axle. Not that bad as old I5 Audi Quattro but still not good.

Quattro S1 had weight distribution 50/50 and despite that it was horribly clumsy compared to the nimble Peugeot 205 T16 which had worse weight distribution but its weight was concentrated around the center of gravity while in the Audi it was placed far from it (the massive engine hanging in front was the cherry on top of the cake).

I have forgotten one more disadvantage. With the same vehicle length Subaru layout brings always shorter wheelbase due to the long front overhang.

The key to the handling is moment of inertia. Take a hammer and move it quickly from left to right. Then hold it closse to the iron, do the same and feel the difference. That's why the weight shall be concentrated as close to the center of gravity as possible. Few percent uneven distribution plays a little role compared to the momentum which is the weight multiplied by the distance.
    What is your experience of driving an Impreza?

I've owned one for the past 12 years. I've also owned a Sierra xr4x4. I've driven a rally prepared evo 8. The Subaru is very planted, very neutral, and no matter how hard I drive it, has never given me any cause for concern with regard to the way it handles. It just doesn't feel nose heavy like any Audi I have driven, at all.

Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
    PBMS made this ex-kangas impreza go ok.(most of the time, gear stick jumps out)
    https://youtu.be/nL3Ry_JD6gg

Could use a billet block (or modern inline engine - get at the pistons , plugs etc quicker) with the sooby 4wd layout.

12. Likes: SubaruNorway (9th December 2019)
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm75 View Post

I've owned one for the past 12 years. I've also owned a Sierra xr4x4. I've driven a rally prepared evo 8. The Subaru is very planted, very neutral, and no matter how hard I drive it, has never given me any cause for concern with regard to the way it handles. It just doesn't feel nose heavy like any Audi I have driven, at all.
    really you compare an impreza with an audi? lol.
    you have to compare it with an evo.And yes compared to an evo its nose heavy.
    And have driven plenty of imprezas.

14. Likes: cali (10th December 2019)
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm75 View Post

Yes, I have driven an Impreza but the point is that a thing called laws of physics exists no matter the feelings. You just can't cheat the nature and pass the physics.

Sadly You didn't understand what I wrote. The main issue with larger moment of innertia is that your car changes directions slower - of course the active differentials do a lot to compensate it but there is still a naturally-born handicap hidden behind them.
    Last edited by Mirek; 9th December 2019 at 22:21.

16. Likes: cali (10th December 2019)
    Liked 388 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dimviii View Post
    really you compare an impreza with an audi? lol.
    you have to compare it with an evo.And yes compared to an evo its nose heavy.
    And have driven plenty of imprezas.
    Did you not read what I wrote!