Page 56 of 160 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106156 ... LastLast
    Liked 12,206 Times in 5,240 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Revman View Post
    Same manufacturer?
    I guess yes since they used those at rally Germany last year.
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

2. Likes: sonnybobiche (14th February 2019)
    Liked 176 Times in 101 Posts
    When I was watching the stage they interviewed Ogier at the end and he said something like "I did not cut aggressively on this stage because I don't want to get puncture". A few minutes later, the commentator said "I'm hearing that Meeke is stopped on the stage" and my heart sank. Well, I thought, there is the difference between Ogier and Meeke in a nutshell. Both are blistering fast, but Ogier is wise.

But I watched the onboard where Meeke got his broken rim. He didn't seem to do anything terribly unusual, a cut with a 10-15cm drop off the side of the asphalt. He made cuts like it before and after, and other people made similar cuts in their onboards. Perhaps he was persistently cutting a little more than the others and he weakened the rim gradually, getting the failure the others didn't. Or perhaps it was just luck.

4. Likes: rhm (28th January 2019),sonnybobiche (14th February 2019)
    Liked 1,170 Times in 791 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Morte66 View Post
    When I was watching the stage they interviewed Ogier at the end and he said something like "I did not cut aggressively on this stage because I don't want to get puncture". A few minutes later, the commentator said "I'm hearing that Meeke is stopped on the stage" and my heart sank. Well, I thought, there is the difference between Ogier and Meeke in a nutshell. Both are blistering fast, but Ogier is wise.
    When it comes to this situation when Ogier has been cautious with the cuts, the most significant case I remember in short terms is Germany '17 when Neuville broke his suspension. In the same corner Ogier did the full turn on the asphalt despite there was clear sign many drivers take this deep cut some even with all 4 wheels off the road, which probably cost him no less than 2 seconds. There must be some "insurance" in his notes for more risky corner cutting, more than other drivers.
    Last edited by stefanvv; 27th January 2019 at 21:42.
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

6. Likes: rhm (28th January 2019),sonnybobiche (14th February 2019)
    Liked 11,150 Times in 4,426 Posts
    Plenty of times those farther behind are forced to cut more by those front runners who bring the dirt on the road. Those at the back often don't have the luxury of choice like the first one has.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

8. Likes: cali (28th January 2019),dimviii (27th January 2019),er88 (28th January 2019),EstWRC (28th January 2019),pantealex (28th January 2019),rhm (28th January 2019),TWRC (28th January 2019)
    Liked 3,476 Times in 1,016 Posts
    Watching the cuts these drivers are often taking, it's surprising there aren't more punctures and more occasions where things get damaged. It's better to have as little unsprung mass as possible, so lighter wheels are faster. But for 300gr/wheel, maybe it's more interesting to have the stronger wheels, even if it's only for giving the drivers more confidence.

Liked 144 Times in 49 Posts
    How does this wheel selection work? Does a team have a variety of choices of weight, etc. How many wheel manufacturers are there? I checked the O.Z. website, and I think I saw something in the neighborhood of that manufacturer supplying 90% of the WRC field. Is this correct? ....and why are the wheel specs not standard? Are they not in other forms of motorsport?

11. Likes: sonnybobiche (14th February 2019)
    Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    Like your normal roadcar, cars need different ET etc. Otherwise they are all similar, exactly the same height and width, all need to have the same tires mounted on the rims At the moment i think all 4 use OZ. Like Mäkinen said, they have and have used reinforced tarmac wheels in ADAC, prmised to start using them in the future.

Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Revman View Post
    why are the wheel specs not standard? Are they not in other forms of motorsport?
    Size is standard by regulations: Gravel 7"x15" and Tarmac 8"x18" but like in all other motorsports make and model is free.
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

14. Likes: sonnybobiche (14th February 2019)
    Liked 1,995 Times in 793 Posts
    https://www.rallit.fi/tommi-makinen-...usi-ralliauto/

Was this here somewhere already? Tommi confirming that the R5 is coming, but everything about the schedule is so Mäkinen-esque that you can't really tell whether the car is ready to race tomorrow or still on the drawing board. My two cents would be on the first option. I think the car is more ready than what has been believed.
    ku ois neljä pyörää ku vetäis ni ois vähän eri sekunnit kyllä pätkillä, sen mä takaan

Liked 29 Times in 12 Posts
    https://www.motor1.com/news/316346/2...chback-debuts/

And whenever he is ready to release the car to the public I do believe it will be this body shape, the new Yaris for 2020. Also to note, ignore the date stamp on that article as this looks like the real deal!