Page 66 of 96 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Teams

Liked 134 Times in 93 Posts
    About Camilli.. I think that he have no chance, maybe, just maybe if there will be two cars at DMACK (they wanted to have 2 this year). But that are just thoughts. What I saw he is doing better when he was not signed for WRC2 points.

About Hyundai and someone mention 2 cars in WRC2 category. Huttunen is obviously 2nd driver if that is true. And I think that Chewon Lim wouldn't be first because he isn't at that level. My thoughts is that Paddon will be there. He is fast and because of his dissaster season it's logic. But what I read and someone said that before, Hyundai New Zealand is prepare to pay for him for whole season at top level. And that Toyota is interest for that market there but Hyundai's there are determined for him.. I think that they would not put Sordo down, that would be embarrassing. And also looking for another driver is pointless.

Liked 144 Times in 87 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommeke_B View Post
    For "first" WRC2 driver it would make sense for Hyundai to let Paddon or Sordo do the job... Both are experienced and very fast. One of them will be demoted to 4th driver anyway, maybe a program consisting of WRC2 + additional events with WRC for the unluckiest of the 2? I don't see why Hyundai should attract an extra driver, while they already have 4 drivers who deserve a WRC seat.
    Paddon stepping back to WRC2 i can see happening, But i think Sordo would rather quit than go to WRC2.

Liked 216 Times in 105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvel View Post
    Paddon stepping back to WRC2 i can see happening, But i think Sordo would rather quit than go to WRC2.
    I agree, why would Sordo go backwards? He has said before that if he doesn't feel he is competitive anymore he would quit. He could easily start a tarmac driving school in addition to the go kart track and make a comfortable living? I can see the logic to doing a partial program for Paddon on gravel and Sordo on tarmac, you get the best of both drivers and both are capable of winning on their preferred surface. But doing that would spell the end to both their WRC careers I feel.

Hayden is well liked in NZ and Hyundai really seem to back him here, ie setting up their own AP4 car which he is then allowed to share around who drives it etc. So I don't imagine they would want him to leave as he is a great ambassador for them. Whether a WRC2 program is an option I don't know, but I would imagine he would do everything to avoid it if possible as that's pretty much a death sentence on your career... Very few people have been lucky enough to be kicked out of a WRC and then promoted back into the WRC later on!

That is only M-Sport's school. Quick raise to the top level, next down a little then raise again and that's it.

Visionary
    Liked 167 Times in 69 Posts
    Talk of Paddon doing WRC2 surely is nonsense. Why would it happen? Some of you need to face reality. Until his season went off the rails last year Paddon easily had the measure of both his team mates and also Mikkelsen. I expect 2018 will see a vastly different Paddon to 2017 together with some added reliability in the car. I would expect to see him leading the charge at Hyundai for some years to come.
    Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to a paramedic.

Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Munkvy View Post
    I can see the logic to doing a partial program for Paddon on gravel and Sordo on tarmac, you get the best of both drivers and both are capable of winning on their preferred surface. But doing that would spell the end to both their WRC careers I feel.
    Aren't we almost there already?

Yes car let both down quite a few times but...
    Sordo did decent on most gravel rallies, but that means getting 3-5 place, depending on how many of the top retire (top being Ogier, Tanak, Neuville, Latvala). Good as 3rd car for collecting points yes, but probably can't expect to get better at this point. On tarmac it was 4th in Monte (behind all the mentioned drivers), 3rd place in Corsica (close, but due to Ogier technical problems) and then 2x DNF.

Sadly for Paddon it does not look much better, inconsistent on gravel (with many car issues) is one thing, but the lack of tarmac progress is more worrying.

Yes it totally makes sense to keep both and switch them in 3rd car or occasionally run 4th car until end of their contract, but something needs to change if they are to get a new one. I hope Paddon shows some consistency in the next round, even without top 3 pace.

----------------
    Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by sollitt View Post
    Talk of Paddon doing WRC2 surely is nonsense. Why would it happen? Some of you need to face reality. Until his season went off the rails last year Paddon easily had the measure of both his team mates and also Mikkelsen. I expect 2018 will see a vastly different Paddon to 2017 together with some added reliability in the car. I would expect to see him leading the charge at Hyundai for some years to come.
    No point in WRC2, but other tarmac rounds are clearly needed, else he won't be leading any charge.
    Yes last season he did well... but nevertheless ended behind both Neuville and Mikkelsen in the standings.
    Last edited by mknight; 18th October 2017 at 00:07.

Liked 2,275 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sollitt View Post
    The problem Hayden has is what has he done since he won in Argentina, over a year and a half ago?

That should've been the springboard for him to go from strength to strength and start competing with the big boys regularly. Instead, he's been off the pace, had lots of crashes, had non existent pace on tarmac and failed to deliver many good results at all (2 podiums since that win? Or 3?)

His form has played a big part in Hyundai not having a shot at the manufactures title more than Sordo's form has, and the time has come where Hyundai need to win titles in the WRC. So it's obvious something had to be changed, and Paddon was the easy target for Spain.

Thankfully he's still got age on his side and can bounce back, and maybe in Wales and Australia he can regain some front running pace. He's also seen his team mate Neuville go through a longish slump and eventually turn it around, so despite their differences, maybe he should have a word with Thierry about what he did to comeback a stronger driver. Hyundai should also know what it takes. He's a really likeable guy and I'd love it if he keeps a fulltime seat next year but things aren't looking too positive right now

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

8. Likes: Rally Power (18th October 2017)
    I think that half of his problems start because of that horrible accident. No one deserves that. He is not guilty of anything. Such a bad luck...And then changing co-driver, few technical issues just pour gasoline into the fire. Then Rally New Zealand (which he really wish that would return to calendar) was not accepted. Really season to forget, except one really good result of Poland. And bench him really doesn't help.

I really wanted to see him again on the trail. We probably (fans) doesn't want to see him be in WRC2 next year but we can't do anything if bosses say so...

What about Breen. He is doing fantastic job at Citroen this year. And if Ogi come to the team he will share a car, probably with Loeb and Qassimi (each 3 rounds) and what left for Breen half a season... That's gift for hard work he's been doing... Well done team Citroen...

That's why I cheer for 4 cars next season. It would be a lot easier... But clearly a lot more expensive...

10. Likes: electroliquid (18th October 2017)
    Liked 216 Times in 105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by er88 View Post

His form has played a big part in Hyundai not having a shot at the manufactures title more than Sordo's form has, and the time has come where Hyundai need to win titles in the WRC. So it's obvious something had to be changed, and Paddon was the easy target for Spain.
    I think Neuville has played a big part in Hyundais championship failure. He threw away two perfect results completely needlessly at the beginning of the season, in a car that it's been clear over the year has been designed around him and his driving style. Then he has failed to finish in the last two rounds, further screwing Hyundai, on surfaces where he was expected to lead the charge for Hyundai. And Hayden then finished the best of the Hyundais on tarmac in Germany, which says a lot about the teams year...

Hopefully Hyundai give Hayden a second chance next year, and they are rewarded like they were with Neuville after his massive slump.

Liked 782 Times in 309 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by er88 View Post
    ...Instead, he's been off the pace, had lots of crashes, had non existent pace on tarmac and failed to deliver many good results at all (2 podiums since that win? Or 3?)
    I think your memory is missing a few things, he has still had good pace on gravel this year, yes made a few mistakes but been let down by car problems more often.

-Running in podium position in Mexico before car problems
    -Argentina a couple of stage wins but out of contention due to early roll and later car problems
    -Portugal a few stage wins and was in contention before car problems
    -Sardinia a couple of stage wins and leading most of the rally before crashing
    -Poland P2 and a couple of stage wins
    -Finland unlucky with hitting rocks but fastest Hyundai and top 5 placings on almost every stage he did.

Agreed that he needs more improvement on tarmac, he is faster than he was but not close enough to the top yet.