Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 183 Times in 122 Posts

AP4 News - Asia-Pacific

AP4 News thread for Asia Pacific. Similar to the R5 News thread for Europe.

Tasmania's Marcus Walkem for Australian Rally championship Peugeot 208 AP4 - left hand steer. http://www.rallysportmag.com.au/home...p4-peugeot-208

July's NZ Performance Car has an article on Dylan Turner's (Choice Performance Ltd constructed) Audi A1 AP4 - 1600cc Vanik Motorsport 'R5' engine etc.

Liked 216 Times in 105 Posts
    Is that 208 actually a real AP4, ie built on a Force Motorsport jig AP4?

Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Munkvy View Post
    Is that 208 actually a real AP4, ie built on a Force Motorsport jig AP4?
    Hawkeswood's jig isn't the only way you can build an AP4. The AP4 regs on the MSNZ website show ''utizing an approved 'AP4 bodyshell jig' or dimensional specifications (as appropriate)"

Quote Originally Posted by fredfush View Post
    Hawkeswood's jig isn't the only way you can build an AP4. The AP4 regs on the MSNZ website show ''utizing an approved 'AP4 bodyshell jig' or dimensional specifications (as appropriate)"
    I did see that, I was meaning that his is the only approved jig I was aware of... Who else has one?

For example the only AP4 in Oz that I know of currently competing is Eli's and that was done at Force, implying that perhaps there isn't a jig over the other side of the ditch currently?

Mind you I am just a fellow competitor, not a constructor, so I don't know much about it.

Visionary
    Liked 167 Times in 69 Posts
    I believe that there are now two other 'approved' jigs in NZ but none in Australia.
    Your questions about the Aussie AP4 cars are valid.
    Scuttlebutt is that, after signing up to the concept in agreement with MNZ, CAMS has experienced some dissention from a couple of prominent players and, with their championship about as pathetic as the APRC, they've buckled to the pressure.
    I would be surprised if any of the cars not built in NZ, (including the two Aussie cars recently publicised, the two Mitsubishis and the Japanese Vitz), actually comply with the specifications.
    Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to a paramedic.

Quote Originally Posted by sollitt View Post
    I believe that there are now two other 'approved' jigs in NZ but none in Australia.
    Your questions about the Aussie AP4 cars are valid.
    Scuttlebutt is that, after signing up to the concept in agreement with MNZ, CAMS has experienced some dissention from a couple of prominent players and, with their championship about as pathetic as the APRC, they've buckled to the pressure.
    I would be surprised if any of the cars not built in NZ, (including the two Aussie cars recently publicised, the two Mitsubishis and the Japanese Vitz), actually comply with the specifications.
    Thanks Bruce, makes sense, Australian's may not like that we have come up with the sensible ideas too...!

Who built the bits for the Harry Bates Toyota? Was that done at the same time as the one for Carl Davies, or was it completely separate?

Visionary
    Liked 167 Times in 69 Posts
    Two separate builds. Carl's car built in NZ to the regulations.
    Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to a paramedic.

Liked 183 Times in 122 Posts
    Reeves hopefully to start Rally Australia in Force AP4 Mazda 2
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americ...on-north-korea

Current NZ Rally Champion Andrew Hawkeswood is looking to do some rounds of one of the rally championships in the USA. Not sure if there is still two championships occurring? But will certainly be interesting to see how a 2L AP4 car compares to the US built cars:

https://rallysportmag.com/nz-rally-c...-into-the-usa/

Liked 101 Times in 36 Posts
    Just wondering if the two Hyundai i20s of JJ Hatton and Darren Windus competing in the ARC are AP4 cars?
    Interested in the backstory of these two vehicles and how do they compare to Hayden's i20 AP4.