Page 38 of 281 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888138 ... LastLast

Thread: Hyundai WRT

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AL14 View Post
    My opinion will be unpopular but imho if that's true both Hyundai and Loeb made a mistake.
    Can you explain that further? I think it's a win-win situation. Loeb gets some WRC drives (which Citroen couldn't offer, nor would Toyota, not to mention M-Sport) and Hyundai gets crucial support in winning the manufacturers title.

Liked 2,264 Times in 944 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Can you explain that further? I think it's a win-win situation. Loeb gets some WRC drives (which Citroen couldn't offer, nor would Toyota, not to mention M-Sport) and Hyundai gets crucial support in winning the manufacturers title.
    Ok, I've read it the article better and before I tought Loeb signed I full year deal. Now I'm understanding that it's not like that and I change my mind on Loeb's side. It's good for him.
    But I still don't know if it is good for Hyundai, imho I would have saved the spots to try to raise a future champion, or to recover Paddon or to bet on some other driver. I actually would have taken Ogier before he signed with Citroen and before he signed with M-Sport back then.

Loeb is good low-term but even if he is a legend and the best of all times he's not as fast as he was in his days.

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    But I still don't know if it is good for Hyundai, imho I would have saved the spots to try to raise a future champion, or to recover Paddon or to bet on some other driver.
    I think Paddon has been given enough of chances to show what he can do, and Huttunen is their future champion in the making, but not still ready to help them win the manufacturer championship. Also, in Loeb they get a brilliant tarmac driver, something their team is lacking on (in addition to Neuville).
    I actually would have taken Ogier before he signed with Citroen and before he signed with M-Sport back then.
    At this moment it's just if's and would's.

Loeb is good low-term but even if he is a legend and the best of all times he's not as fast as he was in his days.
    He can still win rallies, I think that's enough.

4. Likes: Rallyper (12th December 2018)
    At this moment it's just if's and would's.
    I agree, but in my (partial) defence I said it when it was the time as well!

He can still win rallies, I think that's enough.
    To me not, since a good winning team doesn't think low-term but mid-long term.

Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts
    To me not, since a good winning team doesn't think low-term but mid-long term.[/QUOTE]

M-Sport weren’t exactly thinking mid or long term when they signed Ogier and we all know how that story went.

7. Likes: Gregor-y (12th December 2018)
    Quote Originally Posted by T16 View Post
    M-Sport weren’t exactly thinking mid or long term when they signed Ogier and we all know how that story went.
    Ogier is completely different case. He is at the peak of his career, the best out there and if you are not too much unlucky he will give you the driver championship title. There is not long term or low term discussion.

Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    They`ve been in the championship for 5 seasons now, spent a load of money and are still without any titles- what makes it worse, lost them to a private team with the smallest budget and another big Asian manuf. on their 2. year back. Even if it`s short term, other options are even shorter ( stepping down from the series).

10. Likes: AnttiL (12th December 2018),T16 (12th December 2018)
    Liked 2,841 Times in 1,614 Posts
    To me it´s absolutely clear Huyndai should write Mikkelsen off. Or give him Huttunen under his wings in a two car WRC2 team 2019.

Then go on with Neuville-Loeb-Paddon. And Sordo for some rallies.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

12. Likes: GravelBen (12th December 2018),Maui J. (14th December 2018),racerx1979 (12th December 2018),Rally Hokkaido (12th December 2018),Zeakiwi (12th December 2018)
    Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts
    Ogier is completely different case. He is at the peak of his career, the best out there and if you are not too much unlucky he will give you the driver championship title. There is not long term or low term discussion.
    I guess if Loeb beats Neuville on most rounds then we will see if he's past it or not. I don't think they have done this because they feel sorry for him. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he goes for another championship. He's certainly not going to sign up with them to drop a position to let TN past... no way.

Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper View Post
    To me it´s absolutely clear Huyndai should write Mikkelsen off. Or give him Huttunen under his wings in a two car WRC2 team 2019.

Then go on with Neuville-Loeb-Paddon. And Sordo for some rallies.
    Hyundai is not the car for Mikkelsen, he did good in VW , only reasonable move for him is Msport. Hyundai is worst team out of the four (performance wise), only Neuville can drive it well.