Page 93 of 280 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143193 ... LastLast

Thread: Hyundai WRT

Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by racerx1979 View Post
    Who is managing Paddon? It might be a good idea to switch management companies at this rate. Also, is his dedication to Hyundai NZ helping him or hurting him?? If Breen was completely dedicated to Citroen having some kind of loyalty he would be in the same place as Paddon without a WRC drive. He's been screwed twice now... how many more times...

Is anyone besides Kiwi fans paying attention to his NZ results?? I was talking to a few people in the business and they had zero clue as to what his results were in NZ. I understand for him he needs seat time to be fresh, but everyone has said he should be in an R5 car. If Mads was running around doing some Norwegian championship we would forget about him. This is why Breen and Mad's plan of doing ERC/WRC events is probably the best bet...

At the end of the day, I'm just a below average goober behind a keyboard when I write this, but I too can see poor Paddon is not getting a fair shot, but I think some of this is also due to his actions.

Edit even Huttunen is getting driving time in an i20 WRC. Paddon would have been a good choice to do testing, but something is getting in the way. I'm not saying this is Paddons thinking, but having a "I want full drive or nothing" mentality will get you, well, nothing...
    Unfortunately for him, I think it's all irrelevant now anyway, after his 'April fool's' comment. Openly mocking his team's decision and that of the current Hyundai boss is about as openly critical I can recall a driver being of his team in a long, long time.

I think that's him burning his bridge from a Hyundai WRC point of view, but it may not be such a bad thing that he finally moves on and starts communicating with other teams.
    I feel a bit sorry for the lad, but as we've seen for a long time in this sport, there are more bums than seats.

2. Likes: racerx1979 (25th June 2019)
    Liked 5,552 Times in 2,296 Posts

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
    Sorry to say it but I think Paddon has overstepped the mark badly with his ill-judged Tweet even if that's what he thought. Yes, it is good to show passion etc but I think he will come to regret making his feelings so clear in such a public way rather than potentially cut off his nose to spite his face. I really rate him as a driver but he has fallen victim to circumstance of more drivers than seats at WRC level and particularly Loeb's resurgence last year that led to his Hyundai signing.

At the same time, I am delighted for Craig Breen that he has found his way back to the top level and hope that the car allows him to do himself justice in Finland and that more drives come his way after this.

5. Likes: T16 (25th June 2019)
    Liked 839 Times in 406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T16 View Post
    Unfortunately for him, I think it's all irrelevant now anyway, after his 'April fool's' comment. Openly mocking his team's decision and that of the current Hyundai boss is about as openly critical I can recall a driver being of his team in a long, long time.

I think that's him burning his bridge from a Hyundai WRC point of view, but it may not be such a bad thing that he finally moves on and starts communicating with other teams.
    I feel a bit sorry for the lad, but as we've seen for a long time in this sport, there are more bums than seats.
    As glad as I am to see Breen back, I can't help but feel Paddon has been terribly abused by Hyundai, and he's in his full right to feel offended, or at least like an idiot.

He refused to leave the Hyundai spehere of influence as a sign of loyalty and hurt his own chances of getting a WRC drive for this year, then still maintained his C-Level status in the company with the hope of getting the call, and Hyundai ends up deciding to skip their available drivers and reach out to a guy who never had anything to do with the brand.

7. Likes: Marcco (26th June 2019)
    Liked 199 Times in 118 Posts

Liked 3,791 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Speculation:

Paddon only wanted to do Finland if they guaranteed him additional starts this year and Hyundai didn't wanted to do that. (being all about last second changes with Adamo). This would make perfect sense from Paddon's view as only doing Finland was basically just a risk for him.

Instead they went "behind his back" and got Breen. For Breen it's still a risk but he very much has nothing to loose in first rally in a car that is historically bad in Finland.

Liked 3,791 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Barreis View Post
    This is actually a pretty bad article.

He talks about Breens 2017 performance in Finland where he beat Meeke as being 12 months ago and doesn't say anything about last year when he was overshadowed by Østberg.

Similarly he talks about Loeb never enjoying Finland in his time at Hyundai.

And the speculation about Breen getting a podium is on a fantasy level. That, said I'd say the same about Sordo winning a rally 2 weeks ago.

11. Likes: dimviii (25th June 2019),satukata (25th June 2019),TWRC (26th June 2019)
    Liked 1,883 Times in 736 Posts
    "There were a couple of lean years when a snotter of a Peugeot let him down and he succumbed to a back injury after landing a private Ford Fiesta RS WRC heavily on Myhinpaa."

That was in Ruuhimäki first run in 2014 and i filmed it. Just to correct that.
    "Die with memories, not with dreams" Scott McIsaac
    http://www.motorsportfilmer.net

13. Likes: AnttiL (25th June 2019),TWRC (26th June 2019)
    Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Paddon has too strong ties with Hyundai NZ and his own motorsport business. He could leave that behind for a few years in WRC but he would also abandon a possible lifelong career in NZ.

The rallies he has done back home must have been frustrating when he's the only one who's on a professional level, on a proper machine. He has won the rallies by several minutes of margin.
    7 minutes over the week-end... That really doesn't do anything good for him or the NZRC.

http://www.chrissport.nz/events/
    Last edited by janvanvurpa; 25th June 2019 at 16:48.
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Liked 747 Times in 381 Posts
    Another thought to consider... If today's tweet was Paddon venting spleen in such a public manner, what was his behaviour like behind the scenes? Of course this is just speculation, but he may have simply been too harsh for his own good in his communications and negotiations with the team.