Page 254 of 277 FirstFirst ... 154204244252253254255256264 ... LastLast
Results 2,531 to 2,540 of 2764

Thread: Hyundai WRT

Liked 9,311 Times in 4,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Hyundai should bring in Mikkelsen after they suddenly stopped answering his texts on the verge of a deal and hired Breen. He deserves another shot after doing all he can to prove himself in Rally2 cars.
    https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/hyund...ive-mikkelsen/

Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    The interesting part is that he says it's new management.
    Sure there was change with Moncet and Abiteboul, but last year it Moncet claim that he did not decide what drivers are getting signed.
    Does this mean there also was change on other positions?

This would also imply that Solberg has better chance than expected. He is the most promising of the "non-experienced" (Mikkelsen, Suninen and Greensmith are experienced), but even if given the opportunity would it be good idea for him to jump mid-season when he has a good shot at title? Given previous experience I would say no, now with Skoda he finally seems to be developing after 2 years of stagnation. If he gets title or closely loses it at the end of the year I doubt he will have issues finding employment.

3. Likes: RS (24th May 2023)
    Liked 388 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    The interesting part is that he says it's new management.
    Sure there was change with Moncet and Abiteboul, but last year it Moncet claim that he did not decide what drivers are getting signed.
    Does this mean there also was change on other positions?

This would also imply that Solberg has better chance than expected. He is the most promising of the "non-experienced" (Mikkelsen, Suninen and Greensmith are experienced), but even if given the opportunity would it be good idea for him to jump mid-season when he has a good shot at title? Given previous experience I would say no, now with Skoda he finally seems to be developing after 2 years of stagnation. If he gets title or closely loses it at the end of the year I doubt he will have issues finding employment.
    I’m not sure I agree with your comments re Solberg. I wouldn’t be surprised if jumped at the chance to drive the Hyundai again. Given the fact he threw away the win in Portugal to perform crowd pleasing donuts gives me the impression it is about more than the wrc2 title he cares about, and from comments Tanak made about Hyundai not supporting Oliver enough last season he might see it as a better opportunity with different management second time around.

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts

Liked 392 Times in 204 Posts
    Good choice for them and I'd be happy for Suninen, I still think he has quite a lot potential.

Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    At this point I don't expect big changes in Suninens performance, he has been around for quite long to show what his level is. So does not fit the "developing over experience" narrative that Hyundai boss has been pushing.

But certainly he is one of the two drivers that can step in right now and hope for results around podium on selected rallies.

Liked 2,089 Times in 902 Posts
    If Suninen doesn't get a chance now, I can't see it happening at all..

It would also be disrespectful to him(by Hyundai) for ,,wasting'' 2-3 years for only doing wrc2 rallies(basically only as much as required).. Hopefully gets to show his abilities in Estonia/Finland, although it would be difficult with so few experience in rally1 car..

9. Likes: meh (24th May 2023)
    Liked 706 Times in 333 Posts
    I can’t make a case for anyone else over him really. For me he deserves the chance as much as anyone.

11. Likes: becher (23rd May 2023)
    Liked 335 Times in 203 Posts
    Well, Portugal has proven Sordo is still their best shot for all rallies except Estonia-Finland (over all the other names).
    Considering his experience with the car and in Rally1 + his reliability + good road position.

So at the moment, the best they can find is someone for a small stint in Estonia-Finland and then, depending on the results, in Chile and Japan perhaps.
    Suninen sounds the best shot for Estonia-Finland for multiple reasons (has done both rallies last 2 years, some testing with the car, back-to-back winner in Finland in RC2, close from Mikkelsen in Estonia before technical issue in last stage). And in case of, he knows Chile and Japan.
    Only thing is I would have expected Hyundai to give this driver a stint in Safari (a rally where keeping safe can bring a result) before Estonia-Finland ‘cause it will be complicated to perform in fast gravel rallies with so little experience; we could expect a national rally at least (Itaralli mid-June in Finnish championship?)

And as evoked before, probably Paddon deserves the spot to replace him in Rally2 in Estonia-Finland.

Honestly, I’m much more skeptical about Mikkelsen for a first small stint Estonia-Finland (would have agreed for a mid-season but here, sounds more complicated).
    Last edited by Danny0405; 23rd May 2023 at 21:34.

Liked 2,241 Times in 1,199 Posts
    Give it to Suninen for at least Estonia-Finland and if he doesn’t perform then think of an alternative plan for next year. Too soon for Solberg to go back, we don’t want to make the same mistake again.