Page 95 of 279 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105145195 ... LastLast

Thread: Hyundai WRT

Liked 3,791 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Sounds more and more like he wanted some larger package than just one rally. Can't see why they would pick Breen over him if he agreed on a one rally deal tbh.

Liked 2,836 Times in 1,610 Posts
    He wasn’t considered...
    Enough for me to understand.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 3,476 Times in 1,016 Posts
    You'd think something has gone horribly wrong between Paddon and the team in the last year(s)... Although Breen is a very good driver, obviously, I think Paddon would be the most logical choice.

Liked 132 Times in 69 Posts
    Or Hyundai playing the long game and eyeing potential drivers for next season

5. Likes: Winner (26th June 2019)
    Liked 2,836 Times in 1,610 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wia5958 View Post
    Or Hyundai playing the long game and eyeing potential drivers for next season
    I don’t see the discrepancy between potential and logical regarding which driver they should have chosen...
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 87 Times in 43 Posts
    My view on the topic is it is all on Neuville, he is the driving leader, he is the one who needs the support from the other drivers, the relationship between Paddon and Neuville has never been good since was it 2015 with the issue when Neuville had his off whilst fighting with Paddon which later turned out to be a technical issue and Paddon made some end-stage comments.
    Neuville would have preferred Breen which is somewhat backed up by the Tweet on the Hyundai page in congratulations which would never happen in the case of Paddon getting the drive.

The question now is can Paddon take a drive with another manufacturer whilst maintaining his connection with Hyundai in NZ or are/is he willing to put them on hold for a bit. Paddon's manager is his dad I believe so it will be a different style of negotiating I would suspect which may not be as in your face as others.

I just can't see a good outcome for Hayden any-which-way, he is fast but not Ott/Neuville/Ogier, he is still underdone on Tarmak, and he is from an unknown little country miles away, he has not enough currency to come to the door and kick the door down at another manufacturer like you need you when are out of the seat circle.

Gutted for the bloke as he, he is the nicest guy and has a lot to give.

Liked 782 Times in 309 Posts
    Copied from Paddon's facebook post today:

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden Paddon
    "I will make one single post here about the current situation and our feelings, as for too long we have said nothing and tried to do the right thing. Firstly, happy for Craig and I wish him all the best for the rally.

I will point out all the talk that we turned down the offer of a 1 Rally drive with Hyundai is not correct and was blown out of proportion from media speculation. Originally there was talk of this when we first got news of no seat for 2019 last December, and at the time emotion was raw after being left high and dry. However nothing was formally discussed. Since February we have actively been in communication to be involved with the team in any role - testing, 1 off rallies (Finland).....anything. My passion is still very high for WRC and I feel I’m at my prime at present. I know the car well and was prepared to jump straight in and do a good job for the team.

So naturally you can understand we are very upset. I have given my life to this brand in everything I do. Our NZ business, our NZ Hyundai partnership, purchase of a TCR car, everything we possibly could do! And yet we were not even spoken to about this event despite us offering our services several times. Since we did our last rally in Australia, we have had very little communication from them - no acknowledgment of our time with them, no formal thank you, no heads up on the future.

I will say through all this, how much we appreciate the unconditional support from Hyundai NZ and how much they have my back. They fully support all our comments. Many people say we need to cut our ties – well, think of it this way, do you cut your ties for a couple of years in the WRC vs a potential lifetime partnership in this part of the world? It’s never as straightforward as most people think.

Big thanks to all your support. Means a lot. Again I stress this is nothing against Craig, I have nothing but respect for him and it’s only natural you take what opportunities you can.”

9. Likes: AnttiL (26th June 2019),COD (26th June 2019),Marcco (26th June 2019),steve.mandzij (26th June 2019)
    Liked 839 Times in 406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Copied from Paddon's facebook post today:
    Well spoken and relatively diplomatic post, kudos to him for calling out Hyundai while still remaining civil.

It's awfully unfortunate that he was hung out to dry in such a fashion. A lot of wasted potential in him. I hope Hyundai get their act together now, and don't retaliate because Paddon got upset.

Liked 124 Times in 64 Posts
    Personally I believe his loyalty to the brand is completely misplaced and he shouldn’t limit his options both now and in the future to one brand, he models himself on possum Bourne who stayed with Subaru, but then possum wasn’t dumped by Subaru ... but that’s his choice.

My take on this is that both Neuville and Mikkelsen don’t get on with Hayden, not because he’s a bad bloke but Hayden does better than Mikkelsen and Neuville wants to protect Mikkelsen as they are friends so I believe Neuville may have a veto in the process. If so, he will never get a drive there.

As a long term paddon fan he needs to pick up the phone and annoy tommi right now saying he wants to rub Hyundai’s nose in it next year. That’s what a driver who wants to win would do.

If he stays “loyal” to the brand then he will be stuck back in Cromwell tinkering I’m afraid.

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grundo Farb View Post
    Personally I believe his loyalty to the brand is completely misplaced and he shouldn’t limit his options both now and in the future to one brand, he models himself on possum Bourne who stayed with Subaru, but then possum wasn’t dumped by Subaru ... but that’s his choice.
    No, it's just that he has so much more going on in NZ with Hyundai than just WRC